Rumor: Sharks-Jones negotiations going well

stator

Apr 17, 2012
San Jose
Not great term for an above-average goaltender, but the cap hit is decent.

Jones more average this year, than last year. Trend line is not in his favor, but I don't think it will have much affect on his contract. What will is the Sharks' goalie problem for the the last seasons.

DW will likely favor stability which plays in Martin's favor.

Pinkfloyd

Oct 29, 2006
Folsom
I'll be very surprised if it's 5.5 or less regardless of term given the market for goalies right now with contracts. I'm expecting 6 mil. Either way, if they can find and develop some actual goaltending talent, I'd ship Jones out post-contract the first chance I got.

Sideshow Raheem

Dec 22, 2015
Jones is a league-average starter. It would be pretty easy to replace him. I don't really see the point in even bothering to extend him this early to be honest.

AgentCooper

May 10, 2009
Boston
Jones is a league-average starter. It would be pretty easy to replace him. I don't really see the point in even bothering to extend him this early to be honest.

I don't really see what the big deal is. "Good" players, even "replaceable" ones can command some job security these days too, not just "great" ones (I'm thinking specifically of your meltdown over the Karlsson extension). Frankly I'd rather negotiate with Jones now, after a 'meh' season than give him a chance to rebound next year and then ask for more.

And just out of curiousity, let's say you had to replace Jones right now. You talk about how easy it is, so how would you do it? Give me some names, better and cheaper than Jones. I don't see any proven free agents that would come in for less than 5ish, trades cost assets...

PacificOceanPotion

Jun 19, 2009
The thing about Jones is one minute he makes you sigh in relief because of a solid timely save, and the next minute he makes you groan in frustration. 4 years 5 mil a year.

hohosaregood

Banned
Sep 1, 2011
I don't really see what the big deal is. "Good" players, even "replaceable" ones can command some job security these days too, not just "great" ones (I'm thinking specifically of your meltdown over the Karlsson extension). Frankly I'd rather negotiate with Jones now, after a 'meh' season than give him a chance to rebound next year and then ask for more.

And just out of curiousity, let's say you had to replace Jones right now. You talk about how easy it is, so how would you do it? Give me some names, better and cheaper than Jones. I don't see any proven free agents that would come in for less than 5ish, trades cost assets...

Everybody's replaceable. Job security is a major fault of bad hockey management. /s

Fistfullofbeer

May 9, 2011
Whidbey Island, WA
Hard to argue against the fact that Jones has been more than an average league starter over the last 2 years. He has had stretches where he has been close to a top-10 (or even top-5) goalie but last year kind of concerned me. It could possibly be fatigue considering how many games he started in his first year as a starter and the long SC run to boot. But a long term contract is risky considering Jones limited years as a starter.

I think that DW is kind of tied to Jones because of the heavy investment (1st round pick). That trust was more than certified because of that 1st year and playoff run. I totally expect him to get a 5+ year contract at a 5M+ AAV.

Pinkfloyd

Oct 29, 2006
Folsom

If the choice is to sign Jones or trade assets to bring someone in, I'm going to sign Jones. It doesn't mean that I wouldn't be trying to replace him as soon as possible. I'd just have a lot of focus on finding and developing talent from within. I don't expect any trade with Jones to really bring back a lot of value but it'd be my m.o. to try to get the most bang for your buck in net with upcoming goalies and spend that saved money up front. Depth up front is a lot harder to get and keep over developing goaltending talent but our franchise is really having a problem with that like they are in general. They're good at developing depth forward talent but that's pretty much it.

OrrNumber4

Jul 25, 2002
Hard to argue against the fact that Jones has been more than an average league starter over the last 2 years.

Really? I think when you look at other goaltenders in the league, this becomes very easy to argue against.

He had a superb final in 2016...but outside of that, he was a "passenger" for playoffs. He's done a lot more than many other goalies in an SJ sweater, and I think there is still room to improve given where a goalie's prime tends to be, but this could be a Niemi 2.0.

Juxtaposer

Outro: Divina Comedia
Dec 21, 2009
Bay Area
Jones has been excellent in the playoffs, which is something that cannot be said for any other goaltender in Sharks history. But it's not a big enough sample size for me to be comfortable committing more than $5.5M or four years to him.

Sideshow Raheem

Dec 22, 2015

No they ****ing don't. Dumb GMs like Doug Wilson just hand them job security when there's absolutely no reason to. As for replacing Jones, there are so many options to do so. You could swing a trade with Colorado for Calvin Pickard since they'd lose him to expansion anyway. You could buy low on Jonathan Bernier, Steve Mason or Brian Elliott in free agency. Ryan Miller on a one-year deal would be a possibility. Anders Nilsson as a UFA is an intriguing option. And these are just goalies available on short notice this offseason - you'd have a full year to come up with a replacement for Jones if you choose not to eventually sign him. And if he plays well enough to earn the kind of contract the Sharks are certain to give him on July 1st, 2017 then sign him - at least you'll have more confidence that he's an average to above-average starter at that point.

weastern bias

worst team in the league
Feb 3, 2012
SJ
Yeah, dumb ol' DW is known for overpaying his goalies on long term contracts

See: Nabokov, Niemi

i hope I don't have to put the sarcasm face

Ad

Upcoming events

• Sydney Swans @ Hawthorn Hawks
    Sydney Swans @ Hawthorn Hawks
    Wagers: 6