Sharks at the worlds

TomasHertlsRooster

Don’t say eye test when you mean points
May 14, 2012
Fremont, CA
He has fallen off a cliff. That contract is going to hurt.

I agree. That's the issue. He is no longer dominant defensively, but they are using him as if he is.

His offensive game isn't even that bad but defensively he is just horrible. I'm sure his deployment and his partner have done a number on his performance but I think the biggest reason for his decline is that he as a player is nowhere near the player he used to be. I think if Vlasic alone was at his 2016 level, we would be playing in Winnipeg right now.

Sysreq

Apr 9, 2015
If you watch the highlights of the Canada game from tonight, where they lost 5 - 1 (forget who it was against, think Finland), that first goal was entirely the result of Vlasic getting the puck stolen off his stick.

Lebanezer

I'unno? Coast Guard?
Jul 24, 2006
San Jose
His offensive game isn't even that bad but defensively he is just horrible. I'm sure his deployment and his partner have done a number on his performance but I think the biggest reason for his decline is that he as a player is nowhere near the player he used to be. I think if Vlasic alone was at his 2016 level, we would be playing in Winnipeg right now.
Vlasic is, from what I’ve heard, an arrogant dick. Now I don’t know if he works out as much as Jumbo or Patty, but it would behoove him to start now if he doesn’t. He’s only 31, and he should still have 3 more years of high end play. He shouldn’t be regressing this quickly.

TomasHertlsRooster

May 14, 2012
Fremont, CA
Vlasic is, from what I’ve heard, an arrogant dick. Now I don’t know if he works out as much as Jumbo or Patty, but it would behoove him to start now if he doesn’t. He’s only 31, and he should still have 3 more years of high end play. He shouldn’t be regressing this quickly.

From seeing his body on the Brodie Brazil episode where they take a look at his house and meet his dogs, Vlasic looks like he definitely works out. But then again, Thornton looks like he doesn't even lift, and he is supposedly the most fitness dedicated player on the team.

Reactions: Phu

Lebanezer

I'unno? Coast Guard?
Jul 24, 2006
San Jose
From seeing his body on the Brodie Brazil episode where they take a look at his house and meet his dogs, Vlasic looks like he definitely works out. But then again, Thornton looks like he doesn't even lift, and he is supposedly the most fitness dedicated player on the team.
I’m sure he does, and my comment isn’t founded on anything other than assumptions. I just want to believe that he can fix whatever ails him.

Sysreq

Apr 9, 2015

To add to that last part: “If Vlasic was playing at his 2016 level, we would be playing Winnipeg right now.”

If we hadn’t gotten Statsny instead of Kane, I think we would be playing Winnipeg (or really the Predators) right now. Kane’s 1 goal in 6 games should not be overlooked. Part of what has accelerated Winnipeg into their current position is he excellent play of their rental. Statsny put up 10 points over the 7 game series with Nashville. Scoring at that pace against Vegas would have been well enough to push us through.

Not sure exactly where I am going with that, other than Kane is a let down and I hope we don’t hit him with a 7+ contract with term.

hohosaregood

Banned
Sep 1, 2011
We're just going to have to hope that one of Vlasic or Burns is able to do what 36 year old Thornton or 34 year old Marleau did and hopefully more than once for each of those players.
It doesn't really matter though since LTIRetirement is a much abused thing. You can make up any stupid injury as an excuse to end their career.

Juxtaposer

Outro: Divina Comedia
Dec 21, 2009
Bay Area

Jumbo and Patty are physical freaks. I know for sure there is no 30+ year old player more dedicated to conditioning than Marleau. I read an article earlier this season detailing his conditioning methods and I was quite impressed. Talked about how as he’s gotten older, he’s incorporated more flexibilty into his regimen rather than just pure strength stuff. He also mentioned that last year (I think?) the trainer convinced him to lay off the offseason training a little bit and said that it totally paid off because he felt much better towards the end of the season than he usually did.

I have trouble seeing Vlasic and Burns having the patience, humility, and dedication to make changes like that. Hockey players are very much creatures of habit; they’ll stick with what got them by in their early 20’s until the day they retire. Pavelski, I think has those attributes, but he also was never a physical specimen like the four I mentioned.

Vlasic going to the Worlds heavily suggests one of two things: 1) that he wasn’t injured or dealing with any physical ailment that might have caused his game to be quite a bit worse this season than we hoped it would be, or 2) Vlasic really doesn’t care about his body, which would be quite troubling.

So yeah. I think worries about Vlasic are warranted. I would love if Wilson dangled him as trade bait, but that isn’t gonna happen.

SnarkAttack

Registered Loser
Jan 18, 2011
East Bay, CA
Jumbo and Patty are physical freaks. I know for sure there is no 30+ year old player more dedicated to conditioning than Marleau. I read an article earlier this season detailing his conditioning methods and I was quite impressed. Talked about how as he’s gotten older, he’s incorporated more flexibilty into his regimen rather than just pure strength stuff. He also mentioned that last year (I think?) the trainer convinced him to lay off the offseason training a little bit and said that it totally paid off because he felt much better towards the end of the season than he usually did.

I have trouble seeing Vlasic and Burns having the patience, humility, and dedication to make changes like that. Hockey players are very much creatures of habit; they’ll stick with what got them by in their early 20’s until the day they retire. Pavelski, I think has those attributes, but he also was never a physical specimen like the four I mentioned.

Vlasic going to the Worlds heavily suggests one of two things: 1) that he wasn’t injured or dealing with any physical ailment that might have caused his game to be quite a bit worse this season than we hoped it would be, or 2) Vlasic really doesn’t care about his body, which would be quite troubling.

So yeah. I think worries about Vlasic are warranted. I would love if Wilson dangled him as trade bait, but that isn’t gonna happen.

I guess he could have just hated the way the season ended and just didn't want to go into an offseason with that being his final level of play. If so, it's definitely not working...

TomasHertlsRooster

May 14, 2012
Fremont, CA
You guys have to watch Switzerland's second goal. I don't think Meier got a point on that play, but he threw a hilarious and awesome screen on the goaltender as the goal happened.

StanleyCup2035

Oct 1, 2017
Latvia beats Denmark and reaches quarters against Sweden. Balcers had a good game according to people on above link.

Hinterland

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 29, 2016

Sharks touting Balcers' efforts. And the coach loves him.

DeBoer clearly didn't. Wilson should try to talk Latvia into swapping Coaches. I'd take Hartley over DeBoer any day of the week. If the Sharks are lucky, DeBoer even takes his boy Melker with him.

Reactions: StanleyCup2035

Kalv

Slava Ukraini
Mar 29, 2009
Latvia
Yesterday in the crucial game, I don`t think your Danes looked as good as Balcers, who albeit didn`t had the best game in the tournament but still was very dangerous. He got hit blatantly in the head but thankfully seemed like he didn`t got an injury there.
Balcers in not only playing in the offensive situations, he kills penalties and is being active all over the ice. He can and should still improve the game away from the puck but he seems willing to do that. Funny character, doesn`t get too high or too low.

Reactions: JoeThorntonsRooster

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad