Sharks at the worlds

Lebanezer

I'unno? Coast Guard?
Jul 24, 2006
San Jose
So you want him to look healthy and good 5 days after looking like he was hurt and done for the sharks?

If he goes back to being vlasic esque this quick after looking like garbage i will be upset.
I think that’s the appropriate if he looks good in the worlds. I just meant overall we all want him to find his game again.

Natey

GOATS
Aug 2, 2005
You guys almost lost Meier for 6-8 months. He got clipped by a Belarusian. Was a knee on knee but Meier saw it at the last second and moved his leg slightly, so the knee on knee wasn't completely dead on.

He's been playing since the awful hit, so I'm thinking he's okay. He stayed down for a second though and was really pissed off.

TomasHertlsRooster

Don’t say eye test when you mean points
May 14, 2012
Fremont, CA
You guys almost lost Meier for 6-8 months. He got clipped by a Belarusian. Was a knee on knee but Meier saw it at the last second and moved his leg slightly, so the knee on knee wasn't completely dead on.

He's been playing since the awful hit, so I'm thinking he's okay. He stayed down for a second though and was really pissed off.

Oh my god, that’s awful. Meier has somehow never been injured as a Shark, despite playing extremely physical and being a target for what feels like 2/3 of all dirty plays by the opposition.

Thanks for the update though. How has he played otherwise?

Reactions: Phu

jonas2244

Jan 4, 2010
He needed one period to find into the game but afterwards he was getting better with each shift. Found good chemsitry with Andrighetto (Colorado Avalanche) and Joel Vermin (former Bolt). We'll see hopefully more against Russia and Sweden on the weekend.

Reactions: JoeThorntonsRooster

Natey

GOATS
Aug 2, 2005
Oh my god, that’s awful. Meier has somehow never been injured as a Shark, despite playing extremely physical and being a target for what feels like 2/3 of all dirty plays by the opposition.

Thanks for the update though. How has he played otherwise?
Him and Andrighetto were dynamite together. So much so that you guys should trade for Andrighetto.

Reactions: JoeThorntonsRooster

LadyStanley

Sep 22, 2004
Sin City

Hertl on why he's not at Worlds.
FB Translate said:
It's been a rough season I'm a big fan of the boys guys and I'd like to help them. But my contract is over, and besides, I don't want to try the body after a challenging season, when I finally got away with harder injuries wish them a long distance. I hope you get as far away as you can, boys. And I'm going to go to the start in a National Jersey looking forward to some of the future championships!

LadyStanley

Sep 22, 2004
Sin City
And risk injury at Worlds.

(Realize that he may not be covered by insurance as he doesn't have current NHL contract were he to be injured.)

Mayo8898

May 18, 2014
Boedker assisted on all 3 goals in a 3-2 upset win over juggernaut Finland. Finland previously scored 8, 8 and 7 over the last 3 games.

Reactions: ThaiTanicDK

spintheblackcircle

incoming!!!
Mar 1, 2002
And risk injury at Worlds.

(Realize that he may not be covered by insurance as he doesn't have current NHL contract were he to be injured.)

Bjorkstrand is an RFA but he has a policy in place should he get hurt at the WC. Hertl has the option to do that, but probably costs more as he has an injury history.

LadyStanley

Sep 22, 2004
Sin City
I seem to recall that one of the sticking points for Sochi participation was the large insurance payments that IIHF and country federations had to pay to cover the (nearly $1B contract value) NHL players.

Juxtaposer

Outro: Divina Comedia
Dec 21, 2009
Bay Area
I 100% agree with Hertl staying home. Sure, the contract thing is standard, but I think the key for him is that he played a full year without getting hurt and he really doesn’t want to risk that.

Reactions: SnarkAttack and Phu

SnarkAttack

Registered Loser
Jan 18, 2011
East Bay, CA
If Vlasic looks better it'll probably be because he isn't playing nearly 30 minutes per game while playing all of the toughest minutes.

Barrie22

Shark fan in hiding
Aug 11, 2009
ontario
If Vlasic looks better it'll probably be because he isn't playing nearly 30 minutes per game while playing all of the toughest minutes.

Every minute at the worlds is heavy minutes. 1st pairing to 3rd pairing.

And people also forget vlasic wasn't good for the majority of the season where he only played on average of 22 mins a game. What was his excuse then?

But that also brings up another issue with his contract. If he can only play 20 mins a night before falling off a cliff in efficiency then he really needs to go at his price tag.

And about the ice time during the playoffs being to much. Every single final 4 top defenseman is playing 25 minutes a night. If vlasic and burns can't handle those minutes then they are not 1st pairing defenseman.

SnarkAttack

Registered Loser
Jan 18, 2011
East Bay, CA
Every minute at the worlds is heavy minutes. 1st pairing to 3rd pairing.

And people also forget vlasic wasn't good for the majority of the season where he only played on average of 22 mins a game. What was his excuse then?

But that also brings up another issue with his contract. If he can only play 20 mins a night before falling off a cliff in efficiency then he really needs to go at his price tag.

And about the ice time during the playoffs being to much. Every single final 4 top defenseman is playing 25 minutes a night. If vlasic and burns can't handle those minutes then they are not 1st pairing defenseman.

I agree. That's the issue. He is no longer dominant defensively, but they are using him as if he is.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad