GDT: Sharks and Caps 6:00 PM

Status
Not open for further replies.

YippieKaey

How you gonna do hockey like that?
Apr 2, 2012
Stockholm Sweden
Sandin looked good, one gaffe but new to the system. Like the edgework and calmness with the puck. Also seems comfortable in front of the net in spite of his size. Great offensive output.

Iorio has potential and G Carlsson can definitely be the Matt Irwin for the next few seasons. AA looking like an NHLer. And Ovi with two goals 5v5 is pretty sweet. 40 goals seems assured at least.

ovikovy817

May 23, 2015
Belgium
Decided to watch the game to see how Sandin and other young D's will play. After Shark's second goal decided to watch the final score on the NHL app and I was like WTH.
Scoring 8 goals after having 1.5 shots in the first period.
After seeing the score I was hoping for Ovi to score 8 goals but I'm happy with 2

Reactions: shtorm2005

Raikkonen

Dumb guy
Aug 19, 2009
Russia
this is not what I expected when I went to sleep in the 1st intermission

they can't tank properly

Last edited:

Holtbyisms

Matt Irwin is a legit talent
Jul 1, 2012
Bedford, PA
The tank is still on guys, don't worry. It was Anaheim and SJ. They're both firm in the hunt for Bedard and terribad. Our best realistic chance is a 8-12 pick.

g00n

Retired Global Mod
Nov 22, 2007
Feels like an unwelcome win.

Tank tank tank

*sigh*

These wins are not helping. We're barely in the #1OA lottery now.

1678022005343.png

Although I doubt we could move up more than 1 spot to pass DET.

At least protect that final 3%. That's our 3%, dammit. We earned it.

RandyHolt

Keep truckin'
Nov 3, 2006
The problem with tanking for a 8-12 pick is BMac may well likely trade down. Water down the draft talent yet again to add a 3rd trusting the same guy that cannot draft/develop forwards. I stand firm in thinking trying to get Ovi into the playoffs is his final years should be a far higher priority than moving up 5-10 picks. Kids in the lineup bring adrenaline and energy and can play over their heads for a month or 2. A long loff run just needs good tending and coaching - look at Montreal 2010. Ok and maybe Ovi injecting red bull concentrate into Nicks roe muesli breakfast paste of course. I want to face Boston in round 1.

I loved seeing eOreo Iorio crashing the opposition net. Sandin met my high expectations from being bitter about ORRlov unleashed in Boston.

Last edited:

AlexBrovechkin8

At least there was 2018.
Sponsor
Feb 18, 2012
District of Champions
The problem with tanking for a 8-12 pick is BMac may well likely trade down. Water down the draft talent yet again to add a 3rd trusting the same guy that cannot draft/develop forwards. I stand firm in thinking trying to get Ovi into the playoffs is his final years should be a far higher priority than moving up 10 picks. Kids in the lineup bring adrenaline and energy and can play over their heads for month or 2. A long loff run just needs good tending and coaching - look at Montreal 2010. Ok and maybe Ovi injecting red bull concentrate into Nicks roe muesli breakfast paste of course.

I loved seeing eOreo Iorio crashing the opposition net. Sandin met my high expectations from being bitter about ORRlov unleashed in Boston.
I don’t think there’s any chance he trades down for an extra third or whatever. He’s already acquired extra draft picks from the trade deadline. I think it’s far more likely he trades the pick entirely (if they don’t win the lottery) in an aggressive trade to add a substantial roster piece than it is for them to trade down.

RandyHolt

Keep truckin'
Nov 3, 2006
I don’t think there’s any chance he trades down for an extra third or whatever. He’s already acquired extra draft picks from the trade deadline. I think it’s far more likely he trades the pick entirely (if they don’t win the lottery) in an aggressive trade to add a substantial roster piece than it is for them to trade down.
If he adds a 2024 2nd with our first remember my post haha. Its a retool on the fly and i am fine with that and like what you envision happening. Being anywhere close to making the loffs you gotta take it. Hockey drafting is far too difficult (short of a ~top 5 overall) to bet on while writing off a cup run punchers chance. Are our odds of winning the cup actually less than winning a Pitt rigged lottery?

Lets get Ted that revenue and me my playoff hitting/adrenaline fix dammit - this from a fan who largely treats the season as preseason. I LIVE for Caps playoff flops and that 1 in 40 year cup.

Last edited:
Reactions: AlexBrovechkin8

Langway

In den Wolken
Jul 7, 2006
Watching Sandin I kind of think the Caps should trade for Girard also. It would be eventful at least.
Probably. It would take a hell of a player coming back for the value to be there. Even if they string more wins together and pick 12-15 it can't just be an average top 6 winger. It needs to be someone that firmly places them in the mix next season and given concerns elsewhere it's a high bar to clear.

I do think once we get to the 12/13/14 range it opens up considerably, though, so there would be a price to be paid for a playoff push. That said, only four of their remaining 18 games are against teams that also have nothing to play for. Not many cupcakes left. And with 92/19/77 pushed into PK roles and D injuries I don't know how many games they'll be able to fun-and-gun to two points.

BiPolar Caps

Feb 9, 2010
NOVA
Posting this for someone "special":

Craig Laughlin during the 1st period broadcast "the moves that BMAC made are to make the team younger and faster which is what they want".

Reactions: Calicaps

BiPolar Caps

Feb 9, 2010
NOVA
Watching Sandin I kind of think the Caps should trade for Girard also. It would be eventful at least.

Probably. It would take a hell of a player coming back for the value to be there. Even if they string more wins together and pick 12-15 it can't just be an average top 6 winger. It needs to be someone that firmly places them in the mix next season and given concerns elsewhere it's a high bar to clear.

I do think once we get to the 12/13/14 range it opens up considerably, though, so there would be a price to be paid for a playoff push. That said, only four of their remaining 18 games are against teams that also have nothing to play for. Not many cupcakes left. And with 92/19/77 pushed into PK roles and D injuries I don't know how many games they'll be able to fun-and-gun to two points.
Well prior to the TDL Avs fan suggested Kuznetsov for the Avs first and Girard. I was for it, others not so much.

Then there was the other suggestion of Mantha plus the remaining assets from the Bruins obtained in the Orlov/Hathaway trade to the Yotes for Nick Schmaltz.

Projected '23/'24 line up:
Ovechkin - Backstrom - Wilson
Milano - Strome - Schmaltz
Snively - McMichael - Oshie
Protas - Dowd - NAK

Sandin - Carlson
Girard - Jensen
AA - TVR

Kuemper
Lindgren

Brian23

Dec 3, 2011
Projected '23/'24 line up:
At this point, I'd rather swap CMM for Backstrom and then swap Oshie for Schmaltz in that lineup. The big 3 of Ovi, Backstrom, and Oshie just cannot be on a line together anymore. Way too slow.

You're also missing Fehervary, which makes no sense to me. Dunno why so many around here seem engrossed with Girard.

1678046496076.png

trick9

Jun 2, 2013
Here we come WC2 spot and Boston!

This would have been a good game to tank but hey, i'll take 8 goals whanever i can. I don't think we are heading towards too many of these games any time soon.

+ Smith bringing the Boston magic to us.

+ Sandin poor defensively but 0+3 is really nice.

+ Kuemper was good whilst everyone else sucked.

+ Ovechkin 2 goals.

+ Iorio assist. Also liked Alexeyev stepping up for him.

+ Lots of trade value rising goals and points.

BiPolar Caps

Feb 9, 2010
NOVA
At this point, I'd rather swap CMM for Backstrom and then swap Oshie for Schmaltz in that lineup. The big 3 of Ovi, Backstrom, and Oshie just cannot be on a line together anymore. Way too slow.

You're also missing Fehervary, which makes no sense to me. Dunno why so many around here seem engrossed with Girard.

View attachment 663745
My error for not including Fever.

hb12xchamps

Dec 23, 2011
Pennsylvania
Haven’t followed much since early last week. Had the greatest end of the week and weekend of my life. I’m officially a dad to a beautiful baby boy. Happy to join the HFCaps dad club.

Little guy was clearly good luck. First Caps game since he was born was a 8-3 win. Gotta teach him that we’re supposed to be tanking for Bedard. Hopefully he brings some luck in the form of winning the draft lottery!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad