Confirmed with Link: Sharks acquire Martin Jones for 2016 1st and Kuraly; signs for 3 yrs / AAV $3m

Fistfullofbeer

May 9, 2011
Whidbey Island, WA
Right, as do i...

Point is, the value or contract don't establish him as a starter....

Jones has gone from being stuck behind Quick(almost Rask) to having a wide open competition for the net. That's all he needs to get him where the Sharks expect him to be. He doesn't need to be penciled in for 60+ games or given the benefit of the doubt when he falters.

He still has to meet the Sharks expectations. Throwing on the jersey doesn't mean the job is done. He'll get there, even if he splits the net his first season in SJ.

Well, we don't really have a starter right now if you go by the number of starts either Stalock or Jones have had.

But if you look at it simply from the perspective of how much the organization has given up for Jones, it shows me that they do not have enough faith in Stalock as a starter.

Value or contract may not establish Jones as a starter but the lack of faith in Stalock definitely makes me believe that Jones is the starting goalie for the Sharks by default.

SnarkAttack

Registered Loser
Jan 18, 2011
East Bay, CA
Well, we don't really have a starter right now if you go by the number of starts either Stalock or Jones have had.

But if you look at it simply from the perspective of how much the organization has given up for Jones, it shows me that they do not have enough faith in Stalock as a starter.

Value or contract may not establish Jones as a starter but the lack of faith in Stalock definitely makes me believe that Jones is the starting goalie for the Sharks by default.

OR they think that Jones is really good, way better than Stalock, and deserves to be a starter.

Coy

Feb 25, 2014
SF
They have already said that they think Jones is a young solid starting goaltender with elite potential.

Mar 5, 2003
Worcester, MA
210sportsblog.com
Ehhh he might be better than Grosenick.

He is better than Grosenick. I think Grosenick might turn into a serviceable back-up goaltender. Jones is at least that right now, and his upside is a legitimate NHL starter.

That being said, unless either Jones or Stalock gets super hot you're going to see a 1/1A situation in goal for the Sharks with SJ probably planning right now on Jones getting just a few more starts than Stalock.

Boy Hedican

Homer Jr, friends call me Ho-Ju
Jul 12, 2006
Earff
bump

Happy to have him. Love his poise. Stoked that I feel confident in our goaltending. Sure, its early. But I'm more excited about his start than the rest of the team considering we've had hot starts in the past, not entirely due to our goaltending.

hockeyball

Nov 10, 2007
bump

Happy to have him. Love his poise. Stoked that I feel confident in our goaltending. Sure, its early. But I'm more excited about his start than the rest of the team considering we've had hot starts in the past, not entirely due to our goaltending.

I was excited BEFORE the season, now I'm freaking pumped. Might just pick up a Jones jersey this year if this keeps up ;)

CanadienShark

Dec 18, 2012
I'm so excited to see him play. He's so confident and so talented. We just might have our long term #1 on our hands.

Juxtaposer

Outro: Divina Comedia
Dec 21, 2009
Bay Area
What's encouraging to me is that unlike Stalock, Jones really looks the part. Even when Stalock was putting up the numbers in 13-14, he just never had that #1G feel to me. Jones does.

Dicdonya

Jul 21, 2011
What's encouraging to me is that unlike Stalock, Jones really looks the part. Even when Stalock was putting up the numbers in 13-14, he just never had that #1G feel to me. Jones does.

I'm a staunch supporter of stalock, but I agree fully, that jones looks the part, as much as he plays the part.

I still love stalock, but jones has absolutely earned the starter spot this year, unlike my feelings on how last year went with nemo.

On top of that, I have total confidence in stalock as a backup, so for the first time in years I feel we actually have a great goalie tandem to take us through the season. Feels nice.

lucky0slevin

Aug 9, 2011
I doubt he can hold these numbers consistently unless the team keeps playing like the first 2 games but just WOW what a horrible mistake by the kings to let go of this kid wayyy to soon

hockeyball

Nov 10, 2007
He leads every goalie category of relevance right now, Howard doesn't count since he has only played 1 game.

Barrie22

Shark fan in hiding
Aug 11, 2009
ontario
I doubt he can hold these numbers consistently unless the team keeps playing like the first 2 games but just WOW what a horrible mistake by the kings to let go of this kid wayyy to soon

Well of course he isn't going to hold these numbers consistently. He is something like 45 seconds shy of 3 straight shutouts.

stator

Apr 17, 2012
San Jose
I mentioned this a couple of seasons ago that Alex Stalock flops around the net like a fish. His efficiency of movement is horrible for an NHL goalie. This is strikingly in contrast now that Jones is on the team.

Stalock is probably too much of a project to make into a #1 goalie. He should be sent down or traded for a backup goalie that has better likelihood of developing into a #1. This should be his last year under contract before UFA, and I would not be surprised if he does not come back.

hohosaregood

Banned
Sep 1, 2011
I mentioned this a couple of seasons ago that Alex Stalock flops around the net like a fish. His efficiency of movement is horrible for an NHL goalie. This is strikingly in contrast now that Jones is on the team.

Stalock is too much of a project to make into a #1 goalie. He should be sent down or traded for a backup goalie that has better likelihood of developing into a #1.

Eh. If Jones ends up being as good as he has been, we're fine with Stalock as backup. He's a competent backup goalie and the onus is gonna be on an NHL prospect to be way better than Stalock. Plus you gain nothing sending him down or trading him. Send him down and you take away playing time from prospect goalies(even if the prospect goalie is brought in as the backup) and if you trade him, you get like a 4th round pick.

Gene Parmesan

Dedicated to babies who came feet first
Jul 23, 2009
California

Stalock is probably too much of a project to make into a #1 goalie. He should be sent down or traded for a backup goalie that has better likelihood of developing into a #1. This should be his last year under contract before UFA, and I would not be surprised if he does not come back.

Stalock has to play that way to make up for his lack of length and size.

Le Rosbeef

Jul 27, 2007
So a 1st round draft pick was to much to give up for jones lol.

Do you judge all your first round picks on 3 games? Even Lukas Kaspar looked passable to start his career.

Hey, I'm as thrilled as anyone with Jones - and more importantly, the team's - start, but using the 'lol' to passively prove your point is jumping the gun.

If he's this good by the end of the year, absolutely. Fans were well within their rights to question if a 1st round pick was a wise move on an yet unproven goalie for a team that missed the playoffs last year.

As a fan, nothing would please me more, so I really hope you're right, but let's slow down in making full judgement, right? Heck, Fran Beauchemin is on pace for 400 points this season too...

Last edited by a moderator:

Barrie22

Shark fan in hiding
Aug 11, 2009
ontario
Do you judge all your first round picks on 3 games? Even Lukas Kaspar looked passable to start his career.

Hey, I'm as thrilled as anyone with Jones - and more importantly, the team's - start, but using the 'lol' to passively prove your point is jumping the gun.

If he's this good by the end of the year, absolutely. Fans were well within their rights to question if a 1st round pick was a wise move on an yet unproven goalie for a team that missed the playoffs last year.

As a fan, nothing would please me more, so I really hope you're right, but let's slow down in making full judgement, right? Heck, Fran Beauchemin is on pace for 400 points this season too...

Except every year in jones career has he shown this brilliance (save for 1 bad season, which in the minds of the ones against the trade in the 1st place because of the 1st round pick has used to prove he wasn't worth it).

Oddly enough the total opposite can be said about stalocks believers. They point to his 1 good season and ignore his pretty average career to this point.

Last edited by a moderator:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad