Confirmed with Link: Sharks acquire Martin Jones for 2016 1st and Kuraly; signs for 3 yrs / AAV $3m

Hangemhigh

Dec 20, 2013
Irbe did lead a team of 3rd and 4th liners over the #1 team in the NHL.
Also, he put a nasty check on Sheldon Kennedy.

seekritdude

May 3, 2009
www.facebook.com
The 94 playoff team was not THAT bad of a team. People seem to forget that the last half of the season or whatever it was the sharks actually had the third best record in the NHL period. Its just that they got off to that horrid start and were screwed for awhile.

Also in the playoffs remember that not everyone on the team was healthy and irbe himself played with a broken ankle or foot. Dont remember which one...

As for irbes being the main reason the sharks won or something. Id say this is false though. Larionov was the best player for the sharks, and the best player in the playoffs period till they got knocked out. Irbe stats are misleading though cuz there were some huge blow out games, and the sharks defense was actually the weakest link I would say, hell we shot it into our own net a couple times(no joke go watch i fyou dont remember).

But the fact is, we scored when it matter, and won all the close(r)games. People remember irbe from those playoffs against the wings becuase there even with a couple blow out games, they could have been even worse, there was one game were irbe stopped like 5 break aways, and multiple 2 on 1s, and made a ton of just ridiculous silly saves all over the place. Ya he let in a lot, but if you look at some of the stuff he was going against, and for the sharks to still win. Thats why people remember irbe from the playoffs. IIRC the wings were the highest scoring team that year? And they were scoring a lot against the sharks to, but they didnt score in the games it mattered.

OffSydes

#tank2014/5
Aug 14, 2011
The 94 playoff team was not THAT bad of a team. People seem to forget that the last half of the season or whatever it was the sharks actually had the third best record in the NHL period. Its just that they got off to that horrid start and were screwed for awhile.

Also in the playoffs remember that not everyone on the team was healthy and irbe himself played with a broken ankle or foot. Dont remember which one...

As for irbes being the main reason the sharks won or something. Id say this is false though. Larionov was the best player for the sharks, and the best player in the playoffs period till they got knocked out. Irbe stats are misleading though cuz there were some huge blow out games, and the sharks defense was actually the weakest link I would say, hell we shot it into our own net a couple times(no joke go watch i fyou dont remember).

But the fact is, we scored when it matter, and won all the close(r)games. People remember irbe from those playoffs against the wings becuase there even with a couple blow out games, they could have been even worse, there was one game were irbe stopped like 5 break aways, and multiple 2 on 1s, and made a ton of just ridiculous silly saves all over the place. Ya he let in a lot, but if you look at some of the stuff he was going against, and for the sharks to still win. Thats why people remember irbe from the playoffs. IIRC the wings were the highest scoring team that year? And they were scoring a lot against the sharks to, but they didnt score in the games it mattered.

Its been 20 years but I still see that Jayson Moore own goal,.

Led Zappa

Tomorrow Today
Jan 8, 2007
Silicon Valley
Brian Lawton on NHL tonight just said that he would get calls from DW in the past saying:

"You know I like this guy over here, if you ever come across em I'd be willing to give you X if you could acquire him for less."

"That's exactly what happened here and I think he smelled that the Bruins were potentially going to get with the Kings. Of course they eventually did moving Lucic there and I think that Don Sweeney knew he had a 1rst round pick in his back pocket from the Sharks if he got Jones, which he did. And that's how he ended up there. And you have to ultimately credit Doug Wilson and his staff. You have to remember, Ken Talbot was also a guy that was out there. Another highly sought after guy, but what he was able to do was identify his future starter, a younger guy, get em cheap and the rest is history. Now, very very cagey move."

OffSydes

#tank2014/5
Aug 14, 2011
Brian Lawton on NHL tonight just said that he would get calls from DW in the past saying:

"You know I like this guy over here, if you ever come across em I'd be willing to give you X if you could acquire him for less."

"That's exactly what happened here and I think he smelled that the Bruins were potentially going to get with the Kings. Of course they eventually did moving Lucic there and I think that Don Sweeney knew he had a 1rst round pick in his back pocket from the Sharks if he got Jones, which he did. And that's how he ended up there. And you have to ultimately credit Doug Wilson and his staff. You have to remember, Ken Talbot was also a guy that was out there. Another highly sought after guy, but what he was able to do was identify his future starter, a younger guy, get em cheap and the rest is history. Now, very very cagey move."

Smart move..but that should only play out for teams that wouldn't typically trade with the Sharks. I wonder who he likes

Led Zappa

Tomorrow Today
Jan 8, 2007
Silicon Valley
Smart move..but that should only play out for teams that wouldn't typically trade with the Sharks. I wonder who he likes

As we all know, nobody knew Thornton was available. DW is known for targeting players years before he gets them. I can see this happening more often than we think.

OrrNumber4

Jul 25, 2002
As we all know, nobody knew Thornton was available. DW is known for targeting players years before he gets them. I can see this happening more often than we think.

Historically, the Sharks have maintained a list of players who they will go after if they become available.

Vaasa

Aug 23, 2006
Sacramento, CA

Except DW was never targetting Thornton. He has said in the past he was trying to get Sergei Samsonov when all the sudden JT was dropped into the negotiations.

Led Zappa

Tomorrow Today
Jan 8, 2007
Silicon Valley
Except DW was never targetting Thornton. He has said in the past he was trying to get Sergei Samsonov when all the sudden JT was dropped into the negotiations.

I know. I think I said that. I'm just pointing out that you never know when a player will become available and to whom. If DW tells GM X that he wants a player and GM X finds out that player is available and DW doesn't even know then DW has put himself ahead of the game.

Of course GM X would have never passed the JT trade onto the Sharks lol, but the strategy is there.

Juxtaposer

Outro: Divina Comedia
Dec 21, 2009
Bay Area
Historically, the Sharks have maintained a list of players who they will go after if they become available.

I'd be very interested if you had specifics there. I can think of a few but your memory is better.

That 1st won't be below a 22nd now.

Shark tank!! Shark tank!!11

I'm pretty sure our pick doesn't change unless we make it to the third round.

Pinkfloyd

Oct 29, 2006
Folsom
That 1st won't be below a 22nd now.

Shark tank!! Shark tank!!11

Yeah, it depends on how far they progress. The way the playoff teams work is Cup winner, Cup loser, two losers in the Conference Finals, division winners if applicable, then organizing what's left by points. Right now, their pick is #20. It can only get lower if they lose in the 2nd round and any of Minnesota, Nashville, Philadelphia, and/or Tampa Bay get to the conference finals. So the Sharks pick could conceivably drop to 16.

I'll have to check but they may have scrapped the conference finals part of it.

It looks like they did scrap the conference final portion of it and just went with Cup winner picking last, the division winners by points for 26-29, and then the rest. Under that setup, the Sharks pick to Boston could be 30 or if say Washington won it, could be 20. If someone below them wins it all, it would be 19.

Last edited:

Fresnel

Sep 24, 2015
Yeah, it depends on how far they progress. The way the playoff teams work is Cup winner, Cup loser, two losers in the Conference Finals, division winners if applicable, then organizing what's left by points. Right now, their pick is #20. It can only get lower if they lose in the 2nd round and any of Minnesota, Nashville, Philadelphia, and/or Tampa Bay get to the conference finals. So the Sharks pick could conceivably drop to 16.

I'll have to check but they may have scrapped the conference finals part of it.

It looks like they did scrap the conference final portion of it and just went with Cup winner picking last, the division winners by points for 26-29, and then the rest. Under that setup, the Sharks pick to Boston could be 30 or if say Washington won it, could be 20. If someone below them wins it all, it would be 19.

This is a long way to say our first pick will be 60

OrrNumber4

Jul 25, 2002
I'd be very interested if you had specifics there. I can think of a few but your memory is better.

The only *confirmed* ones I can think of are Marchment, Sundstrom, Damphousse, Harvey, Selanne, Scott Niedermayer, Curtis Brown, Samsonov, Bell, Wallin, and Havlat. As you can tell, the list has become more secretive with time. I've heard that Guerin, Campbell, Boyle, Burish, and Blake were on the list. I can believe Blake, but with the rest it is more about people associating any move with obtaining a player off that list. I don't have any more inside access to the Sharks, so post 2012ish there isn't much to go on. I suspect that Chara, Hjalmarsson, Ryan Suter, and Weber were on that list simply because of the way Wilson hounded after them. Also, the Sharks chased Handzus for a while, and they've gone after Vrbata and Chimera a few times.

Supposedly, Rob Niedermayer was on the list, but I think that the Sharks only put him there so that they could get his brother.

stator

Apr 17, 2012
San Jose

I think Brian means Cam Talbot there.

Regardless, one has to wonder what line of BS Sweeney had to feed Lombardi. Every GM knew that Doug Wilson was shopping for a starting goalie since Niemi was UFA and Stalock did not have the chops for the starting role. And, we have to believe that Lombardi wanted Jones not to go to the Sharks, but preferrably back east.

Perhaps Lombardi was thinking the Doug was going after Cam. Talbot was still on the market since he was traded on the next day from the Lucic trade. And if he was, why would the Rangers take a 2nd, 3rd, and 5th instead of a 1st? That's an interesting question... do you go for quality or quantity in this situation?

Then, Sweeney held trading Jones until the 30th once Cam was off the market. Was this to sweeten the pot and force Wilson to give up the 1st?

Going back to the Oilers, did they have to sweeten up the pot to the NYR, believing that Talbot was the only one left on the market?

The full story has not be told here, and I believing it was interesting.

ETA:
Martin Jones was traded to Boston for Lucic on the 26th of June.
Cam Talbot was traded to the Oilers for a handful of draft picks on the 27th of June.
Martin Jones was traded to the Sharks for the 1st round pick on the 30th of June.

Last edited:

Ad

Upcoming events

• Lecce vs Udinese
    Lecce vs Udinese
    Wagers: 4
    Staked: $100.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Czechia vs Switzerland
    Czechia vs Switzerland
    Wagers: 5