Confirmed with Link: Sharks acquire Martin Jones for 2016 1st and Kuraly; signs for 3 yrs / AAV $3m

Gilligans Island

Jul 2, 2006
SF/Bay Area
Stator, good run down. I can see it playing out that way. DW gets kudos for trades and player re-signings.

Now, if he could steal the Preds director of player development or whomever develops their dmen, we'd have a quite an organization.

T0uGh C0oki3

Goodbye Jumbo Joe
Dec 19, 2014
Stator, good run down. I can see it playing out that way. DW gets kudos for trades and player re-signings.

Now, if he could steal the Preds director of player development or whomever develops their dmen, we'd have a quite an organization.
According to the Preds fans. their well ran dry couple years ago.

Patty Ice

Straight to the Banc
Feb 27, 2002
Not California
A team every one knew was going to pitch him to thr highest bidder. Boston had 0 plans of keeping jones.

Gotta wonder if Wilson got into Sweeney's ear about Jones if he was privy to the Kings interest in Lucic (they had ask about him at the end of the season). Since he couldn't pry him from the Kings, he could have told Sweeney he would pay Boston a premium if they acquired him. That's the only scenario that could justify, IMO, the price Wilson paid for him at the time. He's been a guy to think-outside-the-box on more than one occasion to get what he wants.

CJL182

Oct 9, 2008
Gotta wonder if Wilson got into Sweeney's ear about Jones if he was privy to the Kings interest in Lucic (they had ask about him at the end of the season). Since he couldn't pry him from the Kings, he could have told Sweeney he would pay Boston a premium if they acquired him. That's the only scenario that could justify, IMO, the price Wilson paid for him at the time. He's been a guy to think-outside-the-box on more than one occasion to get what he wants.

Brian Lawton, an analyst on NHL Tonight, said the other night that DW had called him for similar situations while Lawton was a GM. DW would preemptively offer Lawton a package of higher value in the situation that Lawton could ever obtain the targeted player for less.

rangerssharks414

Mar 9, 2010
Long Island, NY
With regards to Talbot and the Rangers, I think people overrated Talbot. He wasn't going to fetch a first.

And with regards to Talbot again, I think Jones' cap hit is $1.5M lower or something. And he's better. :)

Bleedred

Travis Green BLOWS! Bring back Nasreddine!
Sponsor
May 1, 2011
With regards to Talbot and the Rangers, I think people overrated Talbot. He wasn't going to fetch a first.

And with regards to Talbot again, I think Jones' cap hit is $1.5M lower or something. And he's better. :)

Non-Rangers fans overrated Talbot and claimed he was better than Lundqvist because of the hot streak while Lundqvist was injured. I thought that was as brutal as the ''Scott Clemmensen was as good as Brodeur when he was injured tho'' stuff from back in 2009.

Talbot was very good with the Oilers this year though, I'll give him that. He had a rough start, but gave them better than that bum Seivens or whatever his name was.

I didn't like this trade at first, thought it was too much to give up for a question mark. I even said earlier in this thread that Jones hadn't proven to be significantly better than Alex Stalock, as both their NHL careers had been very similar up to this point. Although I acknowledged that Jones had the better ceiling as he was younger and had the more impressive pre-NHL resume. Both guys had amazing rookie seasons in 13-14, then both had meh sophomore seasons in 14-15. It didn't take too long for Jones to prove he was the better goaltender though. I don't miss the first round pick much, but I do kind of miss Kuraly a little bit and thought adding him was overpayment.

Just kidding

hockeyball

Nov 10, 2007
Non-Rangers fans overrated Talbot and claimed he was better than Lundqvist because of the hot streak while Lundqvist was injured. I thought that was as brutal as the ''Scott Clemmensen was as good as Brodeur when he was injured tho'' stuff from back in 2009.

Talbot was very good with the Oilers this year though, I'll give him that. He had a rough start, but gave them better than that bum Seivens or whatever his name was.

I didn't like this trade at first, thought it was too much to give up for a question mark. I even said earlier in this thread that Jones hadn't proven to be significantly better than Alex Stalock, as both their NHL careers had been very similar up to this point. Although I acknowledged that Jones had the better ceiling as he was younger and had the more impressive pre-NHL resume. Both guys had amazing rookie seasons in 13-14, then both had meh sophomore seasons in 14-15. It didn't take too long for Jones to prove he was the better goaltender though. I don't miss the first round pick much, but I do kind of miss Kuraly a little bit and thought adding him was overpayment.

Just kidding

Your not going to miss it all when it's ends up being 30th overall :P

sharski

Jun 4, 2012
feast or famine trade that's worked out well for DW, but he really had no choice with Niemi clearly being overvalued as a FA and Stalock never taking advantage of multiple opportunities to show he could take over as a starter full time

hohosaregood

Banned
Sep 1, 2011
feast or famine trade that's worked out well for DW, but he really had no choice with Niemi clearly being overvalued as a FA and Stalock never taking advantage of multiple opportunities to show he could take over as a starter full time

I think Lehner got traded before Jones did and the value for a probable starter that was still an RFA was kinda set at a 1st cuz of him.

Jwec

Dec 21, 2015
Finland
Sean Kuraly is literally a nothing who will end up nothing. Giving up the first is the price of this trade.

You can never know. Odds are that he isn't going to be NHL-player but it isn't 100% sure he will end up nothing.

Btw next thing I will say is not directed towards to you but to everyone. It seems that sometimes we forget that these players are also humans. Isn't very nice thing to say that some player (or actually anyone) is nothing and will end up nothing.

Bleedred

Sponsor
May 1, 2011
I think Lehner got traded before Jones did and the value for a probable starter that was still an RFA was kinda set at a 1st cuz of him.
Yeah that seemed to set the market for Jones, but was Jones traded for Lucic before Lehner? I'm not sure if it's been discussed on here maybe a few pages back, but I remember hearing on NHLN or NBCSN back during the first round that Doug Wilson called Sweeney and told him he'd give him a first round draft pick for Jones, if he was able to acquire Jones in the Lucic deal.
Sean Kuraly is literally a nothing who will end up nothing. Giving up the first is the price of this trade.

Haha I was just kidding.:laugh:

Led Zappa

Tomorrow Today
Jan 8, 2007
Silicon Valley
Yeah that seemed to set the market for Jones, but was Jones traded for Lucic before Lehner? I'm not sure if it's been discussed on here maybe a few pages back, but I remember hearing on NHLN or NBCSN back during the first round that Doug Wilson called Sweeney and told him he'd give him a first round draft pick for Jones, if he was able to acquire Jones in the Lucic deal.

There was no confirmation from Sweeney. It was speculation from Ex-GM Brian Lawton who had Doug calling him back in the day making similar requests/offers and believes that's what happened with the Jones trade.

Bleedred

Sponsor
May 1, 2011
There was no confirmation from Sweeney. It was speculation from Ex-GM Brian Lawton who had Doug calling him back in the day making similar requests/offers and believes that's what happened with the Jones trade.

My mistake then.

Led Zappa

Tomorrow Today
Jan 8, 2007
Silicon Valley
My mistake then.

No worries. I was the one that originally posted it and just didn't want what you posted become the truth here. We know how things can get twisted around as they go from post to post here lol.

Just looks at the Sharks Preds series thread in the SCP forum. Sharks fan posts stats of players from this regular season. Poster replies as if they were stats from the PO's and claims small samples size and off we go :laugh:

Ad

Upcoming events

• Lecce vs Udinese
    Lecce vs Udinese
    Wagers: 4
    Staked: $100.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Czechia vs Switzerland
    Czechia vs Switzerland
    Wagers: 5
    Staked: $935.00