Confirmed with Link: Shane Prince (+ OTT 7th rounder) traded to New York Islanders for a 3rd round pick.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Xspyrit

DJ Dorion
Jun 29, 2008
Montreal, Canada
Yeah you know what, Prince wasn't that impressive in his time here and the other caal ups looked just as good as him. I doubt he would've made the team next year so getting a 3rd for him is alright.

I think Ryan Dzingel made Shane Prince expendable. Of course I wanted Prince to suceed here but it's also a positive that the brass seem to think we have better young players coming up, mainly Dzingel, Paul, Puempel, White...

Also, while Prince was skilled, his size/strenght was playing against him to really make his spot. Sucks but not a big deal. Reminds me a bit of Andre Petersson and Peter Regin situations. Skill doesn't always succeed. Maybe he catches fire in NYI

Burrowsaurus

Mar 20, 2013
Well we did give wier an almost 3 million dollar per year contract after he had proven nothing. So. Yeah. You can't just give these guys big contracts and expect teams to take them off your hands when they don't work.

Unless you're dealing with Toronto it seems haha. But very rare case.

GWNR

Dec 10, 2013
Ottawa, Ontario
Honestly, I would have preferred a Pirri for Prince swap.
Feel like sending a 7th along with Prince to get the later of NYI's two 3rd round picks is a bit of an insulting return.

Or maybe Prince isn't as good as you think he is?

He showed flashes but when you get an opportunity on a top line like he did you have to show up and he didn't.

Why are we all crying about losing a guy who has 12 points? Jesus, slow day

Zorf

Apparently I'm entitled?
Jan 4, 2008
This is one we'll probably regret in the near future.

Near future? Like next year?

C'mon man. Prince was below Boro on the LW depth chart.

They got a 3rd round pick for a guy who was very likely never going to play another game for this team.

Sure, he has good fancy pants numbers, but that means literally nothing when he's stapled to the press box.

If he becomes good for NYI, then good on him. It was not going to happen here.

Do Make Say Think

& Yet & Yet
Jun 26, 2007
We took no salary back, that's likely why we gave up the 7th

We're not rich guys and we know this team is looking to add another impact player

Every bit of salary cleared is a big deal

topshelf15

May 5, 2009
prince was given a chance and didn't do much

Paul and Dzingel already look better
Yep add in some solid play from Puemple before he got hurt ,and its not really much more than a numbers game .

Micklebot

Apr 27, 2010
You make it sound like he didn't get moved up the lineup.

He did and he didn't do anything.

Right, so he wasn't ready for the top 6, but was doing fine in the bottom 6. Why do we not at least give him bottom 6 icetime?

aragorn

Do The Right Thing
Aug 8, 2004
I think Ryan Dzingel made Shane Prince expendable. Of course I wanted Prince to suceed here but it's also a positive that the brass seem to think we have better young players coming up, mainly Dzingel, Paul, Puempel, White...

Also, while Prince was skilled, his size/strenght was playing against him to really make his spot. Sucks but not a big deal. Reminds me a bit of Andre Petersson and Peter Regin situations. Skill doesn't always succeed. Maybe he catches fire in NYI

Totally agree.

They got a 3rd round pick for a guy who was very likely never going to play another game for this team.

Sure, he has good fancy pants numbers, but that means literally nothing when he's stapled to the press box.

:laugh:

God Says No

Mar 16, 2012
Bwahaha, we trade Prince while Chiasson is still around. Someone already mentioned that this is terrible asset management. The only thing I can think of is that Prince was a bad apple. That's the only logical explanation when he was better than a number of wingers currently on the active roster.

GWNR

Dec 10, 2013
Ottawa, Ontario
Right, so he wasn't ready for the top 6, but was doing fine in the bottom 6. Why do we not at least give him bottom 6 icetime?

Because they were happier with Paul and Dzingel?

Which I would agree with from what I've seen.

Again, not to knock Prince. If it wasn't for his waiver eligibility I'd say this was dumb.

But there's a log jam at bottom 6 LW. Prince returned at least a 3rd, not horrible.

Caeldan

Whippet Whisperer
Jun 21, 2008
For those saying 'he got his chance'...
How do you call playing a skill type player with Z.Smith and C.Neil for the majority of his NHL career at 10 minutes a game or less 'a chance'?

Especially when, as we all saw... Borowiecki got his opportunities to move from D, to wing on the first line at times?

Burrowsaurus

Mar 20, 2013
Or maybe Prince isn't as good as you think he is?

He showed flashes but when you get an opportunity on a top line like he did you have to show up and he didn't.

Why are we all crying about losing a guy who has 12 points? Jesus, slow day
Well in response to your last question.

Why were so many cheering at a guy with 10 points got resigned at 1.5 million?

Neil Patrick Harris

Now sponsored by Zoom™
Aug 23, 2008
Ottawa
Honestly, I think people are more annoyed with the process that led to this trade, rather than the deal itself. It feels too much like Prince is being forced out because Cameron didn't want him, rather than Prince not actually being good.

topshelf15

May 5, 2009
Bwahaha, we trade Prince while Chiasson is still around. Someone already mentioned that this is terrible asset management. The only thing I can think of is that Prince was a bad apple. That's the only logical explanation when he was better than a number of wingers currently on the active roster.
Or maybe its because Prince is a LW and a Chia is a RW ,:shakehead

Micklebot

Apr 27, 2010

We saved what, 170k?

Not convinced this was the motivation of the trade...

I honestly think it was to give him a chance, rather than sit on the bench.

He was a decent player, not sure I saw top 6 long term, but imo would have been great if our coach was only willing to run a scoring 3rd line instead of trying to have the 3rd and 4th lines be energy and shutdown lines.

GWNR

Dec 10, 2013
Ottawa, Ontario
We saved what, 170k?

Not convinced this was the motivation of the trade...

I honestly think it was to give him a chance, rather than sit on the bench.

He was a decent player, not sure I saw top 6 long term, but imo would have been great if our coach was only willing to run a scoring 3rd line instead of trying to have the 3rd and 4th lines be energy and shutdown lines.

Yeah money definitely had zero to d iwth this.

I also would buy that Cameron treated him unfairly. That being said, I still think he's being overrated on here.

Burrowsaurus

Mar 20, 2013
Yeah money definitely had zero to d iwth this.

I also would buy that Cameron treated him unfairly. That being said, I still think he's being overrated on here.

There's no operating. No one thinks this guy is a future mega star. Good top 9 forward is my guess. Also superior to Alex chiasson and Chris Neil.

topshelf15

May 5, 2009
For those saying 'he got his chance'...
How do you call playing a skill type player with Z.Smith and C.Neil for the majority of his NHL career at 10 minutes a game or less 'a chance'?

Especially when, as we all saw... Borowiecki got his opportunities to move from D, to wing on the first line at times?
Defense was his biggest hurdle ,he wasnt good enough at it .In the coach,s eyes to go against other team,s top 6 players ,and didnt do enough with his so called "skill" advantage against bottom 6 guys .Classic tweener

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad