Player Discussion Shane Pinto (C) - PART 2

Ice-Tray

Jan 31, 2006
Victoria
This contract is going to be really tricky. You can't succeed as a team by overpaying your 3rd line guys.
You can if your third line guy is a second line guy on lots of teams, and none of your top six guys are paid like elite talent.

Spread the wealth, create a deep team of good talented players.

Reactions: aragorn

PoutineSp00nZ

Electricity is really just organized lightning.
Jul 21, 2009
Ottawa
You can if your third line guy is a second line guy on lots of teams, and none of your top six guys are paid like elite talent.

Spread the wealth, create a deep team of good talented players.

He should be the second line center on this team. And will be while Norris' shoulder heals. And then again when Norris' shoulder explodes again.

Reactions: Ice-Tray

frightenedinmatenum2

Sep 30, 2023
Orange County Prison
Unless you're going to trade Pinto, you sign him to the longest term deal possible because he is the type of player who is never going to be cheaper than he will now after getting popped for the gambling incident and missing half a season.

Not to mention, the timing with the salary cap. If you bridge him 2-3 seasons, you're looking at a 100M+ cap.

6.125M x 8 years.

Icelevel

During these difficult times...
Sep 9, 2009
Unless you're going to trade Pinto, you sign him to the longest term deal possible because he is the type of player who is never going to be cheaper than he will now after getting popped for the gambling incident and missing half a season.

Not to mention, the timing with the salary cap. If you bridge him 2-3 seasons, you're looking at a 100M+ cap.

6.125M x 8 years.
And you can use bathersons contract in your favor

Agent Zub

Jan 2, 2015
Crazy to think we still have more playoff series wins than the Leafs since the start of Matthews' career. Yes we havent made the playoffs, but I would still choose our core over theirs.. proven playoff flakes.

ok but that makes our core proven regular season flakes.

StoicSensFan

ᕕ(ᐛ)ᕗ
Feb 6, 2014
Cantley
ok but that makes our core proven regular season flakes.
Guess so, but I still prefer that over choking in the playoffs when expectations are high.

Hope the rumors for the Pinto extension are true, we really missed him in the first half of the season especially with Norris playing cautious.

Ice-Tray

Jan 31, 2006
Victoria
Pinto himself said that he wants a long term deal and wants to stay in a recent interview.

If that’s what the player wants, it’s hard to imagine a long term deal not getting done given that it should jive with what we want as well.

thinkwild

Veni Vidi Toga
Jul 29, 2003
Ottawa
Love Pinto. He's developing nicely. Crucial piece especially while he's not yet locked up on a long term big money contract. Learning my lesson from Norris, I wouldnt be ready to give him more than bridge right now.

Reactions: DrEasy

PlayOn

Jun 22, 2010
Pinto himself said that he wants a long term deal and wants to stay in a recent interview.

If that’s what the player wants, it’s hard to imagine a long term deal not getting done given that it should jive with what we want as well.
I can’t remember who it was, maybe Bruce, who also said when Pinto came back from the suspension that the Sens would like to go long-term. Not 8 years but maybe 5 or 6.

I’m guessing he’s gonna cost around 6 million.

Reactions: Ice-Tray

bicboi64

Aug 13, 2020
Brampton
I think Anthony Cirelli is a good comparison for Pinto Bean. He had a 3 year bridge deal at $4.8 million aav and then signed for 8 years at $6.25 million aav.

On a 3 year deal, Pinto shouldn't cost more than $4.5 per year, but a $6.25-6.5 per year @ 8 years would be fair.

stempniaksen

Oct 12, 2008
The Batherson and Cirelli contract comps make a lot of sense to me. Something in the 5/6 x 5/6 range and the organization and fanbase should be estatic.

armani

High Jacques
Apr 8, 2005
Uranus
Shane Pinto and the Sens closing in on an extension? Would be nice to see him locked up to a reasonable contract, maybe a 4-6 year deal. Curious to see how Staios and the org value him. I still believe in Norris to create a triple-headed monster on C with three Stu and Pinto.

I have heard murmur on this, though I don't see anything reported on media yet, that they have been negotiating a longer term deal.

Hope Bruce is not copying and pasting stuff from my posts here a la Don Brennan lol, but also heard 4-6 years which is better IMHO than a max term deal so we have enough cap to fill other needs. Cautiously optimistic about a deal that looks a bit higher than Batherson’s, between $5M and $6M.

Last edited:

Loach

Jun 9, 2021
Watching the exit interviews. Pinto is hilarious.
Media guy.."Your up Shane."
"My turn?! What do you mean? How is it my turn?! Fck you guys!" Looks at all the boys. Jugs the rest of his beer, slams a shot of Jamo. "Let's answer some questions! You guys just sit. I'll answer them all! Let's goooo!"

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad