OT: Severe Weather Discussion II

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tres Peleches

Johnny Turncoat
Jul 13, 2011
The ONLY thing I'm really worried about is sleet mixing in. That becomes much more likely the further east you go.

There's a part of the atmosphere which is right around freezing above the surface on some of the models. If these warmer temps aloft verify, sleet will mix in and hold down totals. Where it stays all snow, however, surface temps will be much colder than past storms which should help accumulations, potentially even on roads.

Waiting for 12z Euro for an update, but I'm leaning 7-14 for much of the Island

Bones45

Dec 7, 2005
N/A
The ONLY thing I'm really worried about is sleet mixing in. That becomes much more likely the further east you go.

There's a part of the atmosphere which is right around freezing above the surface on some of the models. If these warmer temps aloft verify, sleet will mix in and hold down totals. Where it stays all snow, however, surface temps will be much colder than past storms which should help accumulations, potentially even on roads.

f***

The Crypto Guy

Jun 26, 2017
StormTotalSnowWeb1.png

TeamKidd

Aug 9, 2004

agreed.

models all +/- around a foot for the island. given time of year (sun angle, slush accumulations) and sleet potential, might be less. some models signaling a very heavy burst of snow late afternoon (3-7pm ish). traffic very messy at that point.

definitely colder than last storms so less worried of the 3 inch slushy mess scenario we had last time.

wingnutks

Nov 17, 2011
The biggest problem with this storm is going to be perception. If we get 1', 3 hours after if snows it wont look or feel like a foot. If we get marginal rates over a long duration it wont be nearly as bad as high rates over a shorter duration. Everything is against high snow totals this time of year. Ratios, temps, sfc temps, sun angle... its also going to be a daytime snow, instead of overnight.

nycole

no longer in distress
Feb 25, 2016
I am going to the game tonight and getting drunk because of tomorrow's epic snow storm. The last time I did that, it didn't snow and I had to go in to work late and hungover.

Reactions: periferal

Bunk Moreland

Mar 16, 2010
Long Island
Probably like an inch+ on the ground but my street is pretty clean.

It has stopped snowing here for a little bit but I know more is coming.

Tres Peleches

Johnny Turncoat
Jul 13, 2011
Hope everyone is ok after the storm last night... not surprised in came in two waves (morning and nighttime) though I though the 2nd wave would be in a bit earlier... still, some insane rates of 4-5" per hour in spots...

Ended up with a final snow depth of about 12" this morning, but with compaction and a bit of melting, probably had closer to 14" I'd imagine.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad