OT: Severe Weather Discussion II

Status
Not open for further replies.

Chardo

Apr 27, 2007
I'm at Mohegan. Major ice storm. Could play hockey on these craps tables.

Merrrlin

Grab the 9 iron, Barry!
Jul 2, 2019
I'm at Mohegan. Major ice storm. Could play hockey on these craps tables.

Crazy, working from home in Huntington and it's sunny out. I could probably throw a football and hit Mohegan from here.

Sparksrus3

Jun 2, 2012
Forget that Lonnie Quinn and his song and dance look at me weather report . I need a forecast and only one place comes to mind and that place is Islanders weather report . My oldest is living in a high rise in downtown Orlando . What's the Hurricane gonna bring ? Thanks in advance .

LGI

BossyMVP

Die SABRES die
Jun 27, 2011
Long Island
Forget that Lonnie Quinn and his song and dance look at me weather report . I need a forecast and only one place comes to mind and that place is Islanders weather report . My oldest is living in a high rise in downtown Orlando . What's the Hurricane gonna bring ? Thanks in advance .

LGI
Drizzle and a strong breeze

TeamKidd

Aug 9, 2004
truly unclear, likely tropical storm force conditions, outside chance of worse. storm is highly erratic and any jog to the west could bring more hardcore storm conditions to the coast, hard to see the crazy stuff making it to orlando tho. likely unpleasant but not entirely disruptive for orlando.

CBG

Jan 7, 2018
Have you guys seen the videos from the Abaco Islands and the Bahamas ? Total Devastation! The Weather Model guidance as of now is looking better for Florida than it did last evening but I wont trust any of it until Dorian begins to move the way they are suggesting

mm11

Jan 26, 2005
Fleming island, Fl
I'm here in the suburbs of Jacksonville, Fl and man alive. I hope the guys are right predicting a right turn because this thing is a monster

MJF

Hope is not a strategy
Sep 6, 2003
NYC
I'm here in the suburbs of Jacksonville, Fl and man alive. I hope the guys are right predicting a right turn because this thing is a monster
Even if it takes a right turn off the coast of Florida, Palm Beach County and points north are going to have to deal with winds maxing out at Tropical Storm force and heavy rain for 12-24 hours. Lots of potential for loss of power and damaged homes. This storm is a monster.

Islesfan22

Jan 15, 2013
Rockland
Got out of West Palm Beach Saturday morning. Had to drive as my flight was Monday and all other flights out were booked. Getting gas was also a problem as by Friday afternoon almost all gas stations were sold out.

DalGoal4Cups

Meet me at Belmont
Dec 4, 2011
West Palm Beach is going to be fine. Stuart, PSL and other cities further north east are under greater threat.

pursuit81

Apr 12, 2018
The Weather Channel is no longer a part of my TV package at home and hasn't been for years but I am in RI right now and have been watching the last few days of Dorian coverage while here. What years ago was a pretty sane and sober presentation reminiscent of Sgt. Friday on Dragnet ("Just the facts, ma'am.) is now so bad and over-hyped it is almost unwatchable. One of their on site "meteorologists" was on the beach in Miami yesterday with water in the background that was a little bit choppy with maybe foot and a half rollers and this knucklehead is saying "you can see the waves crashing down behind me!" while Jim Cantori is in Stuart marveling that the moderate chop in the Intercoastal where he was reporting from was being contained and calmed by a spillway designed to do exactly that. Not isolated cases. And every time they come back from commercial, dramatic and ominous music plays for about a minute before they get down to business. Ridiculous and terrible.

Reactions: SteveH124

nycole

no longer in distress
Feb 25, 2016
The Weather Channel is no longer a part of my TV package at home and hasn't been for years but I am in RI right now and have been watching the last few days of Dorian coverage while here. What years ago was a pretty sane and sober presentation reminiscent of Sgt. Friday on Dragnet ("Just the facts, ma'am.) is now so bad and over-hyped it is almost unwatchable. One of their on site "meteorologists" was on the beach in Miami yesterday with water in the background that was a little bit choppy with maybe foot and a half rollers and this knucklehead is saying "you can see the waves crashing down behind me!" while Jim Cantori is in Stuart marveling that the moderate chop in the Intercoastal where he was reporting from was being contained and calmed by a spillway designed to do exactly that. Not isolated cases. And every time they come back from commercial, dramatic and ominous music plays for about a minute before they get down to business. Ridiculous and terrible.

They're in the business of selling commercials, not broadcasting weather nor educating about the climate. They've been feeling the financial effects of cord cutting and weather apps.

Reactions: pursuit81

Mr Misunderstood

Loser Point User
Apr 11, 2016
Charlotte, NC
They're in the business of selling commercials, not broadcasting weather nor educating about the climate. They've been feeling the financial effects of cord cutting and weather apps.

Just like the TWC App.

It is ABYSMAL, barely ever works because the app is attempting to load the advertisements instead of loading the temperature and forecast. Ditched it a long time ago.

Finnislander

Nov 3, 2017
What are you talking about?

CBG

Jan 7, 2018
NC and SC peeps had better take precautions ASAP if they have not because some guidance has this hitting OBX and the Coast hard while other models now have Dorian going inland and REALLY effecting the Raleigh and Central NC as well,,, this has been a terrible storm

Bones45

Dec 7, 2005
N/A
NC and SC peeps had better take precautions ASAP if they have not because some guidance has this hitting OBX and the Coast hard while other models now have Dorian going inland and REALLY effecting the Raleigh and Central NC as well,,, this has been a terrible storm

Cat 2 = trade winds

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad