OT: Severe Weather Discussion II

Status
Not open for further replies.

TeamKidd

Aug 9, 2004
If the airmass was anything but terrible, this would be a massive snowstorm here... alas, at least for a good chunk of the storm it will rain. Finally get a -NAO for the first time in what seems like forever and we lose the upstream support...

Still though, if you took out the temps and just looked at the mid and upper levels you'd think we were getting buried. Still time for some surprises with a storm this dynamic, particularly away from the immediate coast.
yeah it will definitely "create" it's own cold air and it could be enough to overpower the warmth, but thats a tough one this time of year and with this general airmass. NAM brings snow all the way to the coast, but it's an outlier...

Tres Peleches

Johnny Turncoat
Jul 13, 2011
yeah it will definitely "create" it's own cold air and it could be enough to overpower the warmth, but thats a tough one this time of year and with this general airmass. NAM brings snow all the way to the coast, but it's an outlier...
Hi-res gem is absurd as well. I'm glad I don't forecast for a living anymore, this is the kinda storm where you think it's gonna be plain rain then you notice snow mixing in then next thing you know it's dumping snow.

Not saying that's going to happen, but it's not out of the question

Reactions: Riseonfire

TeamKidd

Aug 9, 2004
Hi-res gem is absurd as well. I'm glad I don't forecast for a living anymore, this is the kinda storm where you think it's gonna be plain rain then you notice snow mixing in then next thing you know it's dumping snow.

Absolutely, intense precipitation and strong winds have a way of overcoming warmth. I’m glad I don’t have to stake my reputation on this storm. Either way, its going to be a best. Very strong winds and coastal flooding for sure...rain...rain and snow...or rain and a lot of snow...wont know until it develops...any meteorologist is BS’ing you if they say they know...

Riseonfire

Josh Bailey! GAME ONE, TO THE ISLAND!!!
Nov 8, 2009

That is exactly what I observed this morning. Commute was rainy, as soon as I got into my classroom and the kids entered, it all turned to Snow within like, 30 seconds. It was crazy to watch.

Currently going back n fourth between heavy snow and medium rain.

NYI365

Let's Go Islanders!
Jun 5, 2011
Merrick, NY
After the mess that was on Friday, I'm hearing about the potential for another storm on Wednesday already? No thank you. #SnowMustGo

Sparksrus3

Jun 2, 2012
There has been a never ending sh-tstorm for almost half a season already . The forecast is it will last about 4 more weeks

Reactions: nycole

Bunk Moreland

Mar 16, 2010
Long Island
Winter storm watch issued for NYC area saying 6-9 inches with 12in in local areas. Newsday is saying 2-4 in Nassau.

What do you guys think?

BrockLobster

Feb 11, 2013
Long Beach, NY
Please not again. Owning a house in long beach is never fun when big storms come thru. Had a real scare with the flooding this weekend. And I hear it may be similar.

Tres Peleches

Johnny Turncoat
Jul 13, 2011
For when?
Late tomorrow night into Wednesday.

Models at this point range anywhere from a few inches to 15 inches. You know, normal everyday weather stuff.

This is a very complex system, with multiple moving parts. A watch is definitely the right move attm, if it's still looking bad tomorrow go to warning, if things trend west and warmer then go advisory or something.

Latest Euro, FWIW, crushes LI, particularly central areas, with about 10-15 inches. Latest NAM, on the other hand, is a bit of snow to rain.

Being a meteorologist is a tough job, for sure

PK Cronin

Bailey Fan Club Prez
Feb 11, 2013
Late tomorrow night into Wednesday.

Models at this point range anywhere from a few inches to 15 inches. You know, normal everyday weather stuff.

This is a very complex system, with multiple moving parts. A watch is definitely the right move attm, if it's still looking bad tomorrow go to warning, if things trend west and warmer then go advisory or something.

Latest Euro, FWIW, crushes LI, particularly central areas, with about 10-15 inches. Latest NAM, on the other hand, is a bit of snow to rain.

Being a meteorologist is a tough job, for sure

Real tough job. Either picnics and rainbows or death and destruction!

Sparksrus3

Jun 2, 2012
Being a meteorologist is a tough job, for sure[/QUOTE]

Up there with Islanders GM.

In both positions if you mess it up today there is always tomorrow to get it right. Or the next day or the next day etc etc

Poulin 0n My St1ck

Oct 18, 2010
Please not again. Owning a house in long beach is never fun when big storms come thru. Had a real scare with the flooding this weekend. And I hear it may be similar.

Do you live closer to the bay or the ocean? I always hear about the houses near the bay flooding worse than the houses near the ocean. I was at Lido West on Saturday and Sunday and, fortunately, there was little to no noticeable erosion. Ocean Parkway and MTK got it pretty bad, of course.

I hope you weather this incoming nor'easter well.

BrockLobster

Feb 11, 2013
Long Beach, NY
Do you live closer to the bay or the ocean? I always hear about the houses near the bay flooding worse than the houses near the ocean. I was at Lido West on Saturday and Sunday and, fortunately, there was little to no noticeable erosion. Ocean Parkway and MTK got it pretty bad, of course.

I hope you weather this incoming nor'easter well.

On the bay side in the canals. 1 block from a canal.

They did alot to protect us from the ocean after sandy. But nothing at the canals or the rest of the bay. So we are most vulnerable

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad