Rumor: Seth Jones’s camp allowed to negotiate with teams to speed up a trade

Status
Not open for further replies.

Fro

Cheatin on CBJ w TBL
Mar 11, 2009
The Beach, FL
I haven’t heard anyone say Jones is awful, I suspect you’re making that up. Just because someone is a good player doesn’t obligate is to be excited at the prospect of massively overpaying when we have no chance of contending.
Read thru this or the other 3 Jones threads, the word awful has been used

Viqsi

"that chick from Ohio"
Oct 5, 2007
40N 83W (approx)
Doubtful? Who is ahead of/going to take on a larger role than Boqvist other than maybe Murphy ?
I'm going to go out on a limb and guess that that might be handled by, y'know, SETH JONES.

Holy hell, people. This isn't a "we're taking your assets and there's nothing you can do about it" scenario. There is a trade return.

Reactions: Cubs2024WSChamps

topshelf15

May 5, 2009
So 8 mil is likely the starting point,however I feel he may get more as he is what almost every team is looking for save TB...

thesaadfather

Kneel Before Saad!
Jan 30, 2014
Ohio
I'm going to go out on a limb and guess that that might be handled by, y'know, SETH JONES.

Holy hell, people. This isn't a "we're taking your assets and there's nothing you can do about it" scenario. There is a trade return.
Read the conversation, the original post was talking about the Hawks roster as it stands now. Unless you know something I don’t, Seth Jones is still a Blue Jacket.

hawksrule

Lot of brains but no polish
May 18, 2014
Then you haven't been paying attention. It's come up many, many times. This thread has been a bit more restrained than usual in that regard, but it's a constant refrain by the Analytics Parrots.

On the Hawks page no one is saying that. I take no responsibility for mainboard cesspool.

Reactions: Monk

Viqsi

"that chick from Ohio"
Oct 5, 2007
40N 83W (approx)
Read the conversation, the original post was talking about the Hawks roster as it stands now. Unless you know something I don’t, Seth Jones is still a Blue Jacket.
It was made in the context of "we can't trade away Boqvist, he's too important, he'll have a huge role" - ignoring the fact that he's being traded for someone who'd have the same or an even bigger role and who is already established as having done so and done so extremely well.

It'd be like us flinching at the idea of trading someone like Marchenko in any package for DeBrincat - yes, Marchenko's a damn nice prospect, and he figures to be a notable part of the team going forward, but you're getting back ALEX f***ING DEBRINCAT; the trade return more than covers it.

Hawkaholic

Dec 19, 2006
London, Ont.
It was made in the context of "we can't trade away Boqvist, he's too important, he'll have a huge role" - ignoring the fact that he's being traded for someone who'd have the same or an even bigger role and who is already established as having done so and done so extremely well.

It'd be like us flinching at the idea of trading someone like Marchenko in any package for DeBrincat - yes, Marchenko's a damn nice prospect, and he figures to be a notable part of the team going forward, but you're getting back ALEX f***ING DEBRINCAT; the trade return more than covers it.
Debrincat > Jones
Boqvist >>> Marchenko

Silly comparison.

Cubs2024WSChamps

Tate MacRae follows me on Tiktok
Apr 29, 2015
I've been a Hawk fan since birth, but live in Columbus and have had tickets to the CBJ. You want Seth Jones or you should want him and the window for Kane and Toews is narrowing. Giving up a couple top prospects and picks to get a premier #1 D. Win win for both clubs.
This 100%

When you have the opportunity to upgrade your team you do it, no exceptions.

Most Hawks fans became fans after they started winning cups, they have no clue what a rebuild is or how to do it. They just look at different sports and try to gauge what the Cubs and White Sox did and think the Hawks should emulate that model.

Blackhawkswincup

RIP Fugu
Jun 24, 2007
Chicagoland
Then you haven't been paying attention. It's come up many, many times. This thread has been a bit more restrained than usual in that regard, but it's a constant refrain by the Analytics Parrots.

I didn't need Analytics to see Jones struggle when watching Jackets over recent years

Jones isn't worth what he will want in contract and is likely to be one of the worst contract in NHL the moment ink dries

And Hawks trading away future for the honor of having a future worst contract in NHL is not at all appealing

Reactions: featherhawk

Kaners Bald Spot

Dec 6, 2011
Kane County, IL
I don't think that Jones is as bad as the Analytics say he is but I don't think he's a #1 either. If I had to give a comparison right now I'd say he's similar to Brent Seabrook right before he fell off a cliff. Still an ok #2 but probably a #3 on a contending team.

Kaners Bald Spot

Dec 6, 2011
Kane County, IL
Jackets fans talking up Seth Jones as if it’s still 2017 lol…

He’s not nearly as valuable or coveted as he was 3-4 years ago.

I’d much rather sign Hamilton and not trade away assets.
If Bowman trades a #1D level package for Jones I think that puts me over the top on the fire Bowman camp.

I've been pretty indifferent about keep/fire Bowman(based on purely hockey) but that's just gross mismanagement.

thesaadfather

Kneel Before Saad!
Jan 30, 2014
Ohio

The original post was stating the Boqvist plays an important role on the Hawks now, and that poster thinks he will be playing a similar role to Jones in the future. Also, you’re looking at it in the vacuum of those two players, when you and other CBJ fans have made clear it take multiple major pieces.

As for the Marchenko-Debrincat thing, that’s frankly just a silly comparison. I have nothing against Marchenko, he seems like a really good prospect. But he’s a non-first rounder playing on another continent compared to an elite goal-scorer with team control. Boqvist is a top ten pick already playing significant NHL minutes, and Jones is a guy that’s a UFA in a year, doesn’t really fit the team’s timeline, and hasn’t really been at his peak the last couple years (not that he can’t be again). It’s just not a good comparison.

CarolinaBlueJacket

Mar 3, 2011
North Carolina

I am not an analytics parrot, in fact I do not even look at them, but I am one to say that Jones was awful last year just by watching the games.

A couple of years ago I thought he would win the Norris but last year he was terrible.

CBJx614

May 25, 2012
C-137
And for the millionth time, it's hard to look good when you literally have absolutely no offensive output. Literally no one on the Jackets D passed the eye test and the analytics. The team last season was a dumpster fire. Of course Jones didn't look good, because absolutely nobody on the te outside of Bjorkstrand looked even close to good. Maybeeeeee you could say Roslovic.

Even when they snuck into the qualifiers, the team didn't look very good.

JoemAvs

Jul 2, 2011
Yeah I guess I have to walk back some of my comments. If that is what Ristolainen fetches with 1 year left, Jones is going to get more than I thought.
I don't think Bowman is nuts enough to move Dach or DeBrincat but if multiple GMs are willing to offer 1sts++ for Ristolainen, Jarmo will get a haul as well most likely.

Boqvist+ Reichel + #12 is probably not out of the question.

Really looks like GMs do not value those '21 1st rounders all that much and I thought that would be a potential headliner of a Jones deal.

CBJx614

May 25, 2012
C-137
Yeah I guess I have to walk back some of my comments. If that is what Ristolainen fetches with 1 year left, Jones is going to get more than I thought.
I don't think Bowman is nuts enough to move Dach or DeBrincat but if multiple GMs are willing to offer 1sts++ for Ristolainen, Jarmo will get a haul as well most likely.

Boqvist+ Reichel + #12 is probably not out of the question.

Really looks like GMs do not value those '21 1st rounders all that much and I thought that would be a potential headliner of a Jones deal.
I don't know what Jarmo/Bowman are thinking and I don't know if it makes it more or less palatable. But I know id be willing to make the pick either 22/23 first as well and maybe some some cap if needed to get Boqvist and Reichel.

The jackets can afford it, but if the Hawks think they'll be picking in the top 10 for the next few seasons I would understand why they wouldn't want to do that.

Given the history of Jarmo and Bowman in trades, I could see CBJ coming out on top.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad