Rumor: Seth Jones’s camp allowed to negotiate with teams to speed up a trade

Status
Not open for further replies.

thesaadfather

Kneel Before Saad!
Jan 30, 2014
Ohio
Depends on whether Jones is willing to sign an extension.
Even then, I think something like Boqvist + 1st/Reichel is a mistake. This team doesn’t look like it’ll be ready to compete in the next couple years. They don’t have the roster (or coach) in place. Trading two major parts of the future before you even know what you have in them for a guy that really won’t make a huge difference until 3+ years down the line is a mistake IMO.

Drumman44

Kyle Beach Deserved Better
May 2, 2017
Comes down to Toews

If Toews is ready to play a full season, then you could go whole hog and max out the "window" with their contracts, trading picks and prospects for Jones etc

If he's not, then honestly anyone over the age of 26 should be available for trade

Reactions: Kaners Bald Spot

hawksrule

Lot of brains but no polish
May 18, 2014
Even then, I think something like Boqvist + 1st/Reichel is a mistake. This team doesn’t look like it’ll be ready to compete in the next couple years. They don’t have the roster (or coach) in place. Trading two major parts of the future before you even know what you have in them for a guy that really won’t make a huge difference until 3+ years down the line is a mistake IMO.

It would make no sense whatsoever.

SimpleJack

Jul 25, 2013
Plz do not move Boqvist. He’s in line to be one of our top 2 or 3 defenseman this upcoming season(and even better beyond that). Moving him to add Jones really wouldn’t do much in terms of upgrading the overall Dcore. It’s addition by subtraction.

hawksrule

May 18, 2014
Please do not confuse one or two radicals with the entire fanbase, or even all the Jackets fans posting here on HF. I suspect I could even name the guys who pulled that without looking, altho doing so would be frowned upon given the rules here.

What most of us have been truly persistent about is the "at least two" rule with guys like Reichel, Boqvist, the 1st, and similar prime-but-not-wholly-untouchable assets. Plenty of folks are also insisting on an extra on top of that. But there's no "guaranteed Dach" nonsense except for one (maybe two, but I only directly remember one off the top of my head) wingnut.

I can understand wanting two big pieces, but Chicago simply isn’t in a position where that makes sense for us. We’re not one major piece from contending. Nowhere close. We’re far more likely drafting in the top 5 next year than 25-30. That’s why I think this deal is either for one piece, or more likely doesn’t happen.

ChiHawk21

Jan 15, 2011
Plz do not move Boqvist. He’s in line to be one of our top 2 or 3 defenseman this upcoming season(and even better beyond that). Moving him to add Jones really wouldn’t do much in terms of upgrading the overall Dcore. It’s addition by subtraction.
but your moving a top 2 or 3 (doubtful) for the number 1 defenseman....?

Reactions: CBJx614

SuterHaglshev

Mar 21, 2021

Boqvist & a first with a B+ prospect is fine.

I don't see Reichel in a deal. Stan could even have a condition that Dylan Strome is in the deal or de Haan. There should be salary going out = Brett Connolly.

Columbus is going to take something Chicago doesn't want on the roster in order to maximize a return.

hawksrule

May 18, 2014
Boqvist & a first with a B+ prospect is fine.

I don't see Reichel in a deal. Stan could even have a condition that Dylan Strome is in the deal or de Haan. There should be salary going out = Brett Connolly.

Columbus is going to take something Chicago doesn't want on the roster in order to maximize a return.

As a cbj fan you would no doubt be fine with that. It may even be fair value wise. But would still be dumb of us to make that deal.

SimpleJack

Jul 25, 2013
but your moving a top 2 or 3 (doubtful) for the number 1 defenseman....?

Doubtful? Who is ahead of/going to take on a larger role than Boqvist other than maybe Murphy ?

He’s EASILY one of the Hawks top 3 defenseman, probably top 2, going into the season.

Reactions: thesaadfather

Drumman44

Kyle Beach Deserved Better
May 2, 2017
After seeing Forsling turn into a legit Top4D (under Q again, ironically) I really don't want to be in the business of trading away youth.

cslebn

80 forever
Feb 15, 2012
Doubtful? Who is ahead of/going to take on a larger role than Boqvist other than maybe Murphy ?

He’s EASILY one of the Hawks top 3 defenseman, probably top 2, going into the season.

But if you're trading a 3 for a 1 is your depth impacted, improved, or made worse?

Blackhawkswincup

RIP Fugu
Jun 24, 2007
Chicagoland
I've been a Hawk fan since birth, but live in Columbus and have had tickets to the CBJ. You want Seth Jones or you should want him and the window for Kane and Toews is narrowing. Giving up a couple top prospects and picks to get a premier #1 D. Win win for both clubs.

Trading away young talent and 1st rounder for Seth f***ing Jones and then giving him an awful longterm deal would infact be ensuring Hawks never again contend during Kane/Toews career and puts team on level with Sabres

ploppsdman

Don't stand for the Blackhawks. Stand for Kyle.
Feb 5, 2004
If Chicago acquires Jones the defense goes from abysmal to awful. What is the real gain? I 100% expect Chicago to make a 110% stupid trade.

thesaadfather

Kneel Before Saad!
Jan 30, 2014
Ohio
I've been a Hawk fan since birth, but live in Columbus and have had tickets to the CBJ. You want Seth Jones or you should want him and the window for Kane and Toews is narrowing. Giving up a couple top prospects and picks to get a premier #1 D. Win win for both clubs.
The Toews and Kane window closed when they traded Panarin. Maybe the window opens again soon, but it won’t be because of Toews and Kane. If the window opens again, it will be because Dach, Debrincat, and the other young guys open it, not because we traded for Seth Jones to supplement Toews and Kane.

Esq

in terrorem
Sponsor
Feb 5, 2009
Village in the City
After seeing Forsling turn into a legit Top4D (under Q again, ironically) I really don't want to be in the business of trading away youth.
I don't think that's a good example. We traded him to Carolina and IIRC he was on waivers there more than once. He was just an unexpected late bloomer.

Esq

in terrorem
Sponsor
Feb 5, 2009
Village in the City
Someone gets it.

thesaadfather

Kneel Before Saad!
Jan 30, 2014
Ohio
This thread feels like the Habs/Josh Anderson threads "he's awful, we don't want him" "we fleeced you, stupid CBJ how do you make that trade" rinse, repeat
On the contrary, trading a king’s ransom for Jones would probably finally unite the Blackhawks fanbase under the “Fire Bowman” banner.

hawksrule

May 18, 2014
This thread feels like the Habs/Josh Anderson threads "he's awful, we don't want him" "we fleeced you, stupid CBJ how do you make that trade" rinse, repeat

I haven’t heard anyone say Jones is awful, I suspect you’re making that up. Just because someone is a good player doesn’t obligate us to be excited at the prospect of massively overpaying when we have no chance of contending.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad