Rumor: Seth Jones’s camp allowed to negotiate with teams to speed up a trade

Status
Not open for further replies.

krutovsdonut

eeyore
Sep 25, 2016
i assume this means they are now talking dollars on an extension.

the value of jones as a rental versus jones extended are two different propositions.

this makes sense for cbj and may be the only way to move him at the price they want. i am not sure it makes sense for other teams.

Love

Feb 29, 2012
Pagnotta has been pretty legit the last few years. Combine this with Friedman’s report today that Philly is out because Jones won’t extend there and that’s two sources saying Jones is talking to teams.

Interesting that Jones won’t extend there. I wonder what teams are interested, have the pieces to entice Columbus, and are enticing to Jones?

Seanaconda

May 6, 2016
i assume this means they are now talking dollars on an extension.

the value of jones as a rental versus jones extended are two different propositions.

this makes sense for cbj and may be the only way to move him at the price they want. i am not sure it makes sense for other teams.
I guess its kind of a win win / lose lose at the same time for Jones and new team. And just a win for cbus if it gets them more . Unless the new team is like hey we will give you that if you wait a year and you will have a better team because we didn't give up assets , unless they need to unload cap to fit him .

Ararana

Sep 22, 2013
Two Rivers
Interesting that Jones won’t extend there. I wonder what teams are interested, have the pieces to entice Columbus, and are enticing to Jones?

Multiple sources have listed Philly, Chicago, and Colorado as teams interested. Who Jones is interested in, who knows.

TheImpatientPanther

Jan 17, 2013
Ontario, Canada
If DAL can get creative with their cap space, do they trade Klingberg for Jones?

I could see ANA make an offer as well, especially if they get into the Eichel sweepstakes.

COL doesn't have the long term space imo but that would be the ideal spot for him

Bettman Returnz

Why so serious?
Jul 28, 2003
BC
Visit site
If DAL can get creative with their cap space, do they trade Klingberg for Jones?

I could see ANA make an offer as well, especially if they get into the Eichel sweepstakes.
Where does Lindell fit into Dallas situation? I’d think they would prefer to keep klingberg and heiskanen but also have no clue as I don’t follow stars much.

majormajor

Jun 23, 2018

Dallas would, but unless Klingberg extends with Columbus there's no point of it on their end.

TheImpatientPanther

Jan 17, 2013
Ontario, Canada
Where does Lindell fit into Dallas situation? I’d think they would prefer to keep klingberg and heiskanen but also have no clue as I don’t follow stars much.

I figured their main 3 D would be Miro, Lindell and Jones. They'd have to let Oleksiak walk and not re-sign some of their veteran forwards.
I dont follow them as much as well but he was born in Texas and you have to figure he'd enjoy the weather and tax benefits.

Dallas would, but unless Klingberg extends with Columbus there's no point of it on their end.

True. If Klingberg wants to cash in, CBJ have the cap space and money available though.
But not sure if CBJs plan is more re-tool for next couple years?

Ararana

Sep 22, 2013
Two Rivers
I mean from a strict “best team” it would make sense he’d want to go to Colorado. I still think avs should put more focus on their middle 6 forwards as they are pretty set on D.

They have bigger needs at 2C according to most of our board. But behind Makar the Avs are pretty weak on right side defense.

It’d take some cap jumbling but they could do it. If Jones comes with an extension it wouldn’t surprise me to see them trade one of their left handed defenseman for a second line center.

majormajor

Jun 23, 2018
I figured their main 3 D would be Miro, Lindell and Jones. They'd have to let Oleksiak walk and not re-sign some of their veteran forwards.
I dont follow them as much as well but he was born in Texas and you have to figure he'd enjoy the weather and tax benefits.

They don't have to gut things to fit in Jones. His extension cost is probably close to Klingberg's.

True. If Klingberg wants to cash in, CBJ have the cap space and money available though.
But not sure if CBJs plan is more re-tool for next couple years?

The Jackets will be close to the cap floor if they aren't willing to pay good players like Klingberg. I think they'd have to be outright tanking to not want him.

NYR94

Mar 31, 2005
Long Island, NY
Now the fun starts
tumblr_inline_o0xorlAg1G1qjk5xl_400.png

Reactions: The Bored Man

TheImpatientPanther

Jan 17, 2013
Ontario, Canada
They don't have to gut things to fit in Jones. His extension cost is probably close to Klingberg's.

The Jackets will be close to the cap floor if they aren't willing to pay good players like Klingberg. I think they'd have to be outright tanking to not want him.

They don't have to gut things but Miro needs a new deal this offseason and Robertson and Otty need new ones in a year.
Just about finding cheap depth through free agency or having good enough prospects to fill in on the cheap.

What side of the fence do you reside for CBJ going forward?
"Tank" ahead of 2 supposed good drafts or try and make some moves and keep chasing playoffs?
Is Werenski going to stay?

MarkovsKnee

Global Moderator
Nov 21, 2007
Toronto

Probably usual places: Dallas, Florida teams, Vegas if they could afford him, maybe Anaheim or LAK. Arizona. Carolina.

Can't imagine any Canadian teams, or building teams like Buffalo or Detroit are on his list.

Surprised about Philadelphia, but they haven't had any real success in a long time, so there's that.

majormajor

Jun 23, 2018
They don't have to gut things but Miro needs a new deal this offseason and Robertson and Otty need new ones in a year.
Just about finding cheap depth through free agency or having good enough prospects to fill in on the cheap.

What side of the fence do you reside for CBJ going forward?
"Tank" ahead of 2 supposed good drafts or try and make some moves and keep chasing playoffs?
Is Werenski going to stay?

It really depends on what the prices are and what Werenski and Elvis want to do. If they're on board then you can try and make a splash, not all-in for next year but keep trying to move forward. If they're not on board then just blow it up.

Reactions: TheImpatientPanther

57special

Posting the right way since 2012.
Sep 5, 2012
MN
Interesting to contrast this with the way Adams is dealing with the Eichel trade talks.

Reactions: AirGut

SFKingshomer

Aug 2, 2008
Sioux Falls
Probably usual places: Dallas, Florida teams, Vegas if they could afford him, maybe Anaheim or LAK. Arizona. Carolina.

Can't imagine any Canadian teams, or building teams like Buffalo or Detroit are on his list.

Surprised about Philadelphia, but they haven't had any real success in a long time, so there's that.

LA is pretty good on RHD and I can’t see Jones being interested in going there.

Cousin Eddie

You Serious Clark?
Nov 3, 2006
I question if Columbus even lets him speak to Colorado. It’s just going to be Sakic filling him in on how he wants to try to win a Stanley Cup with him, play out the season and see if they can negotiate and offer in the offseason (when he can also be wined and dined by everyone else as a UFA)

It’s the best of both worlds for Jones and if he hears this he likely won’t care about any extension talks with any other teams unless somebody absolutely blows him away with a dollar figure. All of a sudden nobody is offering any big package because everyone is offering rental type offers.

Also a young RHD with upside is easy to be added to a package for Colorado. They have Timmins, Barron and Helleson.

Reactions: Jeff Whelbourn
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad