Pre-Game Talk: Series thread: WCQF Anaheim Ducks(PD1) vs Calgary Flames(WC1)

Godzlaf

Sep 24, 2014
I can't imagine Sami is injured all that badly. He's taken warmups, and he's practiced as well. We make fun of it when they say it, but with him it does seem like something that is actually day to day, not something with long term damage.

He could be just keeping his legs in shape and loose, but if he's got something tweaked in his shoulder, he needs to sit out at least until a potential game 6.

Paul4587

Jan 26, 2006
I think Vatanen and Lindholm are both really hurt. Lindholm can't make a pass / shot to save his life.

I hope we win today and the rest helps but I have a feeling, these are long term injuries that may not even heal by the start of next season. I'm guessing Lindholm needs surgery.

Vatanen looked like nothing was bothering him at all in game one but then he took a hard hit so I don't know if it will linger. Lindholm's is definitely serious, his passing ability and puckhandling ability hasn't gradually got worse as the year has gone on for no reason. I am not a wrist expert but I guess he will need surgery and I hope wrist surgery isn't going to affect his offseason training too much.

duari91

Apr 12, 2011
If the Oilers-Sharks series goes to 7, and we end the series tonight with a sweep, it should go a long way in allowing our players to heal up.

That way, maybe Cam can come in and mop up some of the sloppy defensive play. I doubt it allows Lindholm to heal up, but possibly Vats.

pesko

Sep 14, 2004
EUghvFP.jpg

Sojourn

Nov 1, 2006
Ahaha. I tried not to laugh, but that was too perfect. It's just too bad it's a quadratic equation on the left, and not the Pythagorean theorem.

Kalv

Slava Ukraini
Mar 29, 2009
Latvia
:laugh:

great job Pesko

On another note, this made me think a lot...

Nashville really looks scary good right now. They would be one of the worst matchups for us for sure. Instead we got probably the best one

Sojourn

Nov 1, 2006
I don't know that any team in the West is a bad match up for us this season, but I absolutely think they would have been a bad match up with us missing Vatanen and Fowler.

Kahvi

Sponsor
Jun 4, 2007
Alberga
Good luck for the rest of the playoffs. I was really impressed with Gibson, if he plays like that you can go all the way.

Aug 11, 2011
Am Yisrael Chai
I don't know that any team in the West is a bad match up for us this season, but I absolutely think they would have been a bad match up with us missing Vatanen and Fowler.
I mentioned this after Game 2, but this is kind of going as expected so far. I didn't expect a sweep of the Flames, but the Ducks looked as I expected them to. Sort of slapdash and shaky but still good enough overall to win a first round series. I was disappointed with the reaction to the Game 2 shorty.

If we can get Fowler back at near-normal and Gibson playing like good Gibson, this is a dangerous team.

Dr Johnny Fever

Eggplant and Teal
Apr 11, 2012
Lower Left Coast
I mentioned this after Game 2, but this is kind of going as expected so far. I didn't expect a sweep of the Flames, but the Ducks looked as I expected them to. Sort of slapdash and shaky but still good enough overall to win a first round series. I was disappointed with the reaction to the Game 2 shorty.

If we can get Fowler back at near-normal and Gibson playing like good Gibson, this is a dangerous team.

Would it be expecting too much to throw a new and improved Bieksa into the equation? It's hard to count on that, but jeez, if he really could it would be UFB.

Aug 11, 2011
Am Yisrael Chai
Would it be expecting too much to throw a new and improved Bieksa into the equation? It's hard to count on that, but jeez, if he really could it would be UFB.

Based on history, I'd have to say: yes, it would be too much to expect. It might surprise people to note that Bieksa was 6 out of 7 in terms of ice time/game amongst our defenseman in the semis.

The Planets Aligned

Jul 6, 2005
Goal credited incorrectly in game 4

I thought this would have come up sooner, but the first goal, credited to Patrick Eaves which Brian Elliot got so much crap for, was clearly tipped by Nick Ritchie's stick. The shot was coming in a few feet off the ice, but went UNDER Elliot's pad. There is even a camera angle from the far boards which shows the puck deflect down off of Ritchie's stick. I'm surprised they didn't change it. Elliot clearly had a rough series, but I think he got too much blame for that goal.

Godzlaf

Sep 24, 2014
I thought this would have come up sooner, but the first goal, credited to Patrick Eaves which Brian Elliot got so much crap for, was clearly tipped by Nick Ritchie's stick. The shot was coming in a few feet off the ice, but went UNDER Elliot's pad. There is even a camera angle from the far boards which shows the puck deflect down off of Ritchie's stick. I'm surprised they didn't change it. Elliot clearly had a rough series, but I think he got too much blame for that goal.

It doesn't change the fact that it came in from what should be an impossible angle. If a goaltender is playing that positionally soundly, he should be able to close his eyes and make 100/100 saves.

Duck Off

HF needs an App
Oct 25, 2002
Oklahoma

If true, it is weird that they didn't give Ritchie credit for the goal yet. That said, even if tipped, that shouldn't go in. Just like the Theo goal from game 3. Those just can't happen.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad