Pre-Game Talk: Series thread: WCQF Anaheim Ducks(PD1) vs Calgary Flames(WC1)

DarthYenik

Sep 15, 2011
California
I've never really trusted Gibson. I trusted Freddy more too. I think it's more their play styles though.

I felt the same way, before this season. He's had plenty of games this year, especially in the second half, that he looked amazing. But us as Ducks fans are used to positionally strong goalies. Jiggy, Bryz, Hiller, Freddie, are all great at getting into position. What they do after that is what makes a goalie good or bad. Gibby is all about the after. He scrambles for the block, and scrambles for the rebound, and he makes two amazing saves. We saw that a lot in game 1. He wasn't terrible in game 2. He was getting in position for the save and not letting rebounds more often, and didn't need to scramble as much. In game 3, he was just left out to dry, and then started falling apart. He's always had playoffs nerves. Nothing generally shakes him up like the playoffs. But he deserves a chance, I think. I know it's not the best strategy for one game, but if he gets hot, if he has one good game, the chances of him having more good games increases. At least that's how I feel.

DaGeneral

Apr 15, 2012
So. Much. Salt.

Calgary fans think only they played bad. As if Anaheim played to the best of their potential.

Ducksforcup

Jan 5, 2006
Irvine, California
I'd play Gibby in Game 4 (especially with the 3-0 series lead), but if he continues to look shaky, absolutely throw in Bernier for the next one.

Having said that, Game 3 was more a momentum pull than anything IMO. Think Gibson' was kinda hung out to dry.

evomacky

we heff no effor
Jan 7, 2014
Anaheim, CA
I'd start Bernier tonight. don't take any chances if Gibby is shaky after game 3. put that nail in the coffin and close it out tonight.

CrazyDuck4u

Oct 14, 2006
I'd start Bernier tonight. don't take any chances if Gibby is shaky after game 3. put that nail in the coffin and close it out tonight.

If you do that, Your basically telling Gibson.. there is no trust in him to bounce back.

kducks

Duck Off
Sep 19, 2007
OC
I don't even think Gibby was that bad, the team as a whole was playing like ass. I'm okay with sticking Gibby back in, if he has problems then we know we can go to Berns.

91Fedorov

John (Gibson) 3:16
Dec 30, 2013
Gibson was basically elite from the time he was pulled for a few minutes in that one game (forget which one) until Game 1. Hopefully being pulled in Game 3 will have the same effect.

This is exactly what I was thinking. I'm hoping this begins the emergence of Gibby.

kducks

Duck Off
Sep 19, 2007
OC
Gibby's off the ice first, looks to be the starter.

Sucks that Sami is out again, that hit he took in game two seemed to injure his shoulder.

CrazyDuck4u

Oct 14, 2006
Ugh, what exactly happened to Vats?

Took a hit in game 1 and went shoulder first to the boards, Went to locker room and came back, But hasn't played since. His shoulder might be bad.. Wont be surprised if he has a small tear or something there..

Ducksforcup

Jan 5, 2006
Irvine, California
Not surprised that Sami isn't in...probably for the best. Get him as much rest as possible. If this series (heaven for bid) starts going south, then the Ducks can think about re-inserting him.

PCDiesel

Jun 17, 2011
Boston, MA
Gibson looks rattled. He has the entire playoffs. That cool, calm, collected mentality from the end of the season is gone. It's likely the only way that he ever gets over it is playing enough and not having everything go south on him, but getting that confidence also requires everything not going south again. Tough one.

No, I'm not saying he's been horrible. I'm saying that the swagger and confidence he was playing with in the last few regular season games is nowhere to be seen.

I agree, and it must suck to feel that every time he has a bad game when we had/have another goalie (i.e.,Freddy, Bernier), who is also playing well, media says there is a goalie controversy. That can't help confidence one bit. Yes he is a professional, but I don't know many other teams that the media gets stir crazy about and puts the extra pressure.

DarthYenik

Sep 15, 2011
California
Just watched game 3 again. Felt so good to watch the OT goal. I was running around my house after I saw the puck in the net, so I didn't see the replay until Ducks live.

Edit: when it was live, not while watching the replay.

Last edited:

Mortal Wombat

Dec 7, 2014
I'm fine with starting Gibby. He just needs more confidence in the playoffs and sitting him would not be good for that. Also, I think the team needs to push the issue with Gibson to see what they have in him in the playoffs. The answer will have big implications on who is going to be the backup next season (Bernier is likely gone in any case).

And ****, I was really hoping Vats wasn't injured that badly.

I read the "scientific analysis" in Mr. Plinkett's voice.

The thing a couple of Flames fans refuse to see is that when you need to use the angle from above instead of the side angle to make your case about a high stick, it probably isn't very conclusive.

Last edited:

Spazkat

Feb 19, 2015
You can drive a good sized truck through that "math" on the main boards.

Just for laughs I went to check out Calgary Puck. Hoo boy, the crazy is strong there. Lots of tinfoil hat wearing folks with "theories".

evomacky

we heff no effor
Jan 7, 2014
Anaheim, CA
The thing a couple of Flames fans refuse to see is that when you need to use the angle from above instead of the side angle to make your case about a high stick, it probably isn't very conclusive.

they keep focusing too much on that goal and make it seem that it was the reason they lost.

they were still up by one goal. though they adamantly refuse to admit it, the flames as a team collapsed. they started running around finishing heavy checks when they should have been defending or attempting to score more goals.

caliamad

Mar 14, 2003
Visit site
I think Vatanen and Lindholm are both really hurt. Lindholm can't make a pass / shot to save his life.

I hope we win today and the rest helps but I have a feeling, these are long term injuries that may not even heal by the start of next season. I'm guessing Lindholm needs surgery.

AngelDuck

Rak 'em up
Jun 16, 2012
I think Vatanen and Lindholm are both really hurt. Lindholm can't make a pass / shot to save his life.

I hope we win today and the rest helps but I have a feeling, these are long term injuries that may not even heal by the start of next season. I'm guessing Lindholm needs surgery.

Lindholm I agree with you on since its been lingering all year. He's going to be playing at less than 100% the rest of the year, time to accept that and move on

Vatanen I'm not sure on. I think another week might be all he needs. But no one really knows any details on that

ADHB

Sponsor
Apr 9, 2012
I can't imagine Sami is injured all that badly. He's taken warmups, and he's practiced as well. We make fun of it when they say it, but with him it does seem like something that is actually day to day, not something with long term damage.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad