Blue Jays Discussion: September Call-ups & Meaningful Baseball

Status
Not open for further replies.

Discoverer

Apr 11, 2012
Not that it should make any of us happier, but at least the Jays aren't the only team that is suffering from some sort of collapse .. Look at the Giant over in the NL West

It's actually kind of frustrating. There are only three teams in the NL with a legitimate shot at the Wild Card, and the Giants (who are leading, half a game up on the Mets and one game up on the Cardinals) have the same record as the Yankees.

The NL just has so many bad teams.

Discoverer

Apr 11, 2012
Pitching match-ups are quite favourable to us and unfavourable to Boston/Baltimore in the next couple of days. Hopefully we can make up a game or two.

I should have learned to stop looking at pitching matchups lately because it doesn't seem to mean anything for the Jays... but I've literally never heard of Daniel Wright, who's starting for the Angels tonight. Turns out he has a 6.13 ERA this year... in AAA.

This seems like as good a time as any to kick-start the offense.

GoonieFace

Jun 24, 2013
The Matrix
I should have learned to stop looking at pitching matchups lately because it doesn't seem to mean anything for the Jays... but I've literally never heard of Daniel Wright, who's starting for the Angels tonight. Turns out he has a 6.13 ERA this year... in AAA.

This seems like as good a time as any to kick-start the offense.

Daniel Wrights line tonight 6.1 IP 3 hits 1ER 2 BB 5 SO

Daniel Wrights next start against whoever 2.2IP 9 Hits 6 ER 3 BB 1 SO

oilers89

Jun 4, 2008
Medicine Hat
I cannot stand the people saying "I called the collapse" or saying we are done and out of it...
WE ARE IN A PLAYOFF SPOT.
yes we are struggling and playing our worst ball of the season. We can turn it around as quickly as it went south. This is why we watch sports. its friustrating but we are in a pennant race with a very real possibility of making playoffs and a chance of catching boston yet.

Discoverer

Apr 11, 2012
I cannot stand the people saying "I called the collapse" or saying we are done and out of it...
WE ARE IN A PLAYOFF SPOT.
yes we are struggling and playing our worst ball of the season. We can turn it around as quickly as it went south. This is why we watch sports. its friustrating but we are in a pennant race with a very real possibility of making playoffs and a chance of catching boston yet.

Yep.

June 16-27, Boston goes 4-8 and gets outscored 73-49.
August 16-27, Baltimore goes 4-8 and gets outscored 93-61.
June 30-July 15, the Cubs go 3-9 and get outscored 79-54.
July 2-17, Texas goes 3-9 and gets outscored 95-50.
Right now, Toronto is 3-9 and has been outscored 74-42.

The timing of this slump really sucks, but every team goes on stretches where they look terrible, and the good teams come out of it and look good again. I know people tend to look at the most recent stretch and assume that that is what the team really is, and a lot of people hate to hear this, but that's just the way baseball goes. Chances are, they'll turn it around the same way all the other good teams turned it around after their slumps.

Loosie

The Eternal Optimist
Jun 14, 2011
Kitchener, Ontario
Marty York must be dancing with joy right now, he also 'called the collapse'.

All I'm saying is the seasons not done yet. Yes the way they are playing right now is troubling, but it's no over. As shown above most of the AL East is playing each other until the end of the season, which means that as long as the Jays win they gain on somebody. We are still in a good position, we just need to fortune of the team to turn around.

Clark4Ever

What we do in hockey echoes in eternity...
Oct 10, 2010
T.O.
Hopefully, it is a slump as opposed to a collapse, but the timing is terrible.

As others have mentioned though, we are still in a solid position considering our dismal record in September. Gotta stop the bleeding now.

GoonieFace

Jun 24, 2013
The Matrix
Even if they don't make the playoffs, I would not classify it as a collapse. Leading the division or wild card by 7 or more games at the beginning of September and not making it would be a collapse, but they have never had that much breathing room this year. Disappointing maybe, but not a collapse.

brandonlowi

Sep 20, 2015
Yep.

June 16-27, Boston goes 4-8 and gets outscored 73-49.
August 16-27, Baltimore goes 4-8 and gets outscored 93-61.
June 30-July 15, the Cubs go 3-9 and get outscored 79-54.
July 2-17, Texas goes 3-9 and gets outscored 95-50.
Right now, Toronto is 3-9 and has been outscored 74-42.

The timing of this slump really sucks, but every team goes on stretches where they look terrible, and the good teams come out of it and look good again. I know people tend to look at the most recent stretch and assume that that is what the team really is, and a lot of people hate to hear this, but that's just the way baseball goes. Chances are, they'll turn it around the same way all the other good teams turned it around after their slumps.

Thank you!!! Rational post.

TF97

Jul 4, 2010
Halifax, NS
Marty York must be dancing with joy right now, he also 'called the collapse'.

All I'm saying is the seasons not done yet. Yes the way they are playing right now is troubling, but it's no over. As shown above most of the AL East is playing each other until the end of the season, which means that as long as the Jays win they gain on somebody. We are still in a good position, we just need to fortune of the team to turn around.
I'd attribute Marty York calling the "collapse" is more attributed to his apparent hatred of the Blue Jays and essentially saying only negative things about them more than him being some sort of genius who could sense an incoming collapse.

zeke

The Dube Abides
Mar 14, 2005
Pre-season: "THIS TEAM SUCKS AND WILL COLLAPSE!"

team in playoff spot in SEP: "I TOLD YOU SO!!!"

Loosie

The Eternal Optimist
Jun 14, 2011
Kitchener, Ontario
Here's a bit more about Donaldson (from a TSN Article):

Donaldson’s words were optimistic; his body language betrayed no emotion one way or the other.

“You’re battling little nicks and bruises throughout the entire year; this was, I didn’t feel it on the initial play but it kind of came pretty sudden in the area that I was feeling it,” said Donaldson. “Hopefully (Thursday) I’ll be able to get back in there and have some positive results.

Donaldson said he’s affected by rotational and side-to-side movement. There’s plenty of contortion in the swinging of a baseball bat; side-to-side movements happen while getting a lead (and a secondary lead) off a base and defensively, where Donaldson often is lunging to his left and right.

zeke

The Dube Abides
Mar 14, 2005
A dose of schadenfreude this morning: Jeff Hoffman has been getting absolutely lit up with the Rockies, and not just at Coors.

the guy has literally never put up great numbers, at any level pre or post draft, and hasn't been young for them either.

deletethis

Mar 17, 2015
Toronto
I'd attribute Marty York calling the "collapse" is more attributed to his apparent hatred of the Blue Jays and essentially saying only negative things about them more than him being some sort of genius who could sense an incoming collapse.

There was this American baseball writer who appeared on the Fan590 about 2 weeks ago who when asked about how the AL would finish called for all of Boston, Baltimore and New York finishing ahead of the Jays. I didn't get his name and at the time I thought to myself "This guy is a real jerk showing up on Toronto radio and stating a ridiculous thing like this." 2 weeks later it doesn't seem so crazy.

deletethis

Mar 17, 2015
Toronto
the guy has literally never put up great numbers, at any level pre or post draft, and hasn't been young for them either.

Yes it's preferable for the Jays and us Jays' fans that he doesn't take a star turn.

The guy made it to AA in his 1st pro season coming off Tommy John surgery. He was an average PCL pitcher in his 2nd pro season. He simply shouldn't be pitching in the majors yet. The Rockies are probably under some pressure to show something for the Tulo trade.

zeke

The Dube Abides
Mar 14, 2005
Yes it's preferable for the Jays and us Jays' fans that he doesn't take a star turn.

tbh, I wasn't worried about it then, and I'm not worried about it now. IMO he's the poster boy for selling high on a prospect. His performance (and really even his stuff - It's not like he has Aaron Sanchez' filthy stuff and young-for-his-level excuse to keep dreaming on) simply didn't match the reputation. That's when you sell imo.

I'd be a bit more worried about Norris, because his issue is more of consistency, and he has actually put up dynamite numbers at times. But even then, consistency is everything, and with his delivery I'm not sure he'll ever get it.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad