Blue Jays Discussion: September Call-ups & Meaningful Baseball

Status
Not open for further replies.

Suntouchable13

Dec 20, 2003
Toronto, ON
Looks like we're going to miss the playoffs entirely. I have accepted that. The sad part is that it looks like we going to have more lean years ahead. Very frustrating for a fan that has seen this team in the playoffs only once.

Loosie

The Eternal Optimist
Jun 14, 2011
Kitchener, Ontario
Looks like we're going to miss the playoffs entirely. I have accepted that. The sad part is that it looks like we going to have more lean years ahead. Very frustrating for a fan that has seen this team in the playoffs only once.

The sad part is posts like this. No matter what happens tonight they are still in a playoff spot.

Time is certainly running out, but if they manage to turn this around they will make the playoffs and should still have a shot to take the division.

Leaftors

Jul 21, 2011
Welland, Ontario
Wow 8-1 thumping at home.

This team is just lacking something.

Lots of things it could be of course but what an unfortunate time for it to come apart.

Thought after the players only meeting and the W things would get back to normal.

its pretty clear to me that what it lacks is a healthy josh donaldson playing like an mvp... this skid has more to do with that then people are seeing

Swervin81

Leaf fan | YYZ -> SEA
Nov 10, 2011
Seattle, WA
No, Gibby this is not rock bottom. Rock bottom is having your rotation being Doc surround by 4 guys we randomly grabbed hanging around Union Station and having Josh Phelps as your DH. Clearly you weren't around back then... oh, wait, you were.

Suntouchable13

Dec 20, 2003
Toronto, ON
The sad part is posts like this. No matter what happens tonight they are still in a playoff spot.

Time is certainly running out, but if they manage to turn this around they will make the playoffs and should still have a shot to take the division.

Sorry, I am just feeling deflated. Can you blame fans for feeling this way the way the team has played lately during the most important stretch of the season? I have been one of the most optimistic posters around, defending this team back in April and May when they had that slow start. But now I am just feeling really down.

Cor

I am a bot
Jun 24, 2012
AEF
We're now closer to missing the playoffs, than we are winning the division.

If the Tigers weren't 2-5 in their last 7, we'd be out of a spot all together.

The worst part is, it's likely the Yankees will be the team to take our spot.

Seems like we are going back to the Boston-New York dominance

King Mapes

Sub to My YouTube Blocks_4_days
Feb 9, 2008
Edmonton
We also almost choked it up in 3 straight vs Texas too, Texas just happened to choke it up worse than the Jays... If you think this team was or is anywhere near WS quality, we clearly have a different standard of what is WS worthy. You seem to forget just how poor they looked vs KC too.

Good teams figure out ways to gut out wins, if the big hitters aren't hitting the Jays are clueless how to score. If the journey men pitchers aren't over achieving, the Jays are sunk.

But they didn't? They came back and won and were a couple wins from making the WS. Jesus, won the division and was in final 4 and we choked? Haha. Awesome.

King Mapes

Feb 9, 2008
Edmonton
its pretty clear to me that what it lacks is a healthy josh donaldson playing like an mvp... this skid has more to do with that then people are seeing

The numbers in how he hits in wins vs losses is telling. Most hit better in wins obviously but his are an absolute dramatic split.

King Mapes

Feb 9, 2008
Edmonton
Sorry, I am just feeling deflated. Can you blame fans for feeling this way the way the team has played lately during the most important stretch of the season? I have been one of the most optimistic posters around, defending this team back in April and May when they had that slow start. But now I am just feeling really down.

I am too. It's depressing. I'm very concerned about our pitching as Sanchez has thrown so many IP, Estrada is horrible lately, Stroman inconsistent, Dickey and Liriano aren't trust worthy.. I still have faith our hitting can get hot but I'd still be concerned with the starting staff.

Leaftors

Jul 21, 2011
Welland, Ontario
I am too. It's depressing. I'm very concerned about our pitching as Sanchez has thrown so many IP, Estrada is horrible lately, Stroman inconsistent, Dickey and Liriano aren't trust worthy.. I still have faith our hitting can get hot but I'd still be concerned with the starting staff.

ya, hopefully this slump turns around for both right at the right time so they dominate, make the playoffs and continue it to a WS championship.

ADifferentTim

Knowledgeable & Pure
Dec 18, 2013
LACo/IE; SoCal
If you thought your slump were bad, Aaron Judge is out for the season.

Yes, one of the Yankees call-ups who is part of the group, affectionately known as the "Baby Bombers".

Gargyn

Oct 19, 2006
Kelowna, BC
Hate to say I called the collapse, but I recall getting eaten alive a couple weeks back seeing this collapse happening. This has been happening even when they grabbed a few wins. All year, this hitting has been very inconsistent and just not having good at bats. To many strike outs, too many men left on base. The pitching covered up for the hitting much of the season. Now that the pitching is slumping, and the hitting is still horrible, people finally are seeing that this team can't rely on pitching for too long to win. The team needs a major face lift. Red Sox will be a powerhouse for quite some time, Yankees have an incredible farm. Unfortunately, I think a proper rebuild or retool is required. I love how Tulo has grown on me the second half and how he has become a leader. I think him and some other aging, big contracts though, have to be moved. Build around Sanchez and Osuna who I think should be moved to a starter. Go Indians model and get young, controllable stud pitchers and some solid contact hitters who have some speed and outstanding fielding. A team of mashers won't get it done.

Paladin2799

Jul 15, 2009
Hate to say I called the collapse, but I recall getting eaten alive a couple weeks back seeing this collapse happening. This has been happening even when they grabbed a few wins. All year, this hitting has been very inconsistent and just not having good at bats. To many strike outs, too many men left on base. The pitching covered up for the hitting much of the season. Now that the pitching is slumping, and the hitting is still horrible, people finally are seeing that this team can't rely on pitching for too long to win. The team needs a major face lift. Red Sox will be a powerhouse for quite some time, Yankees have an incredible farm. Unfortunately, I think a proper rebuild or retool is required. I love how Tulo has grown on me the second half and how he has become a leader. I think him and some other aging, big contracts though, have to be moved. Build around Sanchez and Osuna who I think should be moved to a starter. Go Indians model and get young, controllable stud pitchers and some solid contact hitters who have some speed and outstanding fielding. A team of mashers won't get it done.

I think retooling around JD/EE and our kickass pitching is the way to go.

I wouldn't throw Tulo or Martin out the door as they are still very servicable players, but I certainly would listen for offers for them.

I am happy with travis at 2nd, and im OKAY with Pillar at CF as I believe that defense is an absolute priority for CF.

We desperately need to upgrade at the power positions of 1b/RF/LF desperately.

We need solid hitting in those positions at the detriment of fielding IMHO. We have good defense in the priority positions (CF/SS/2b/3rd) and we need more reliable CONSISTENT overall batting presence.

Use the money freed up from Saunders and JB and in FA/Trades acquire some good position players.

sabresEH

May 17, 2009
Kelowna, BC
I'm actually pretty happy they sre going on the road. As much as TO can bring you up, it can be deflating at times. This is one of those times. Fans of TO are always waiting for the collapse. Getting away for 7 could be a blessing in disguise.

one77

Dec 22, 2013
I think retooling around JD/EE and our kickass pitching is the way to go.

I wouldn't throw Tulo or Martin out the door as they are still very servicable players, but I certainly would listen for offers for them.

I am happy with travis at 2nd, and im OKAY with Pillar at CF as I believe that defense is an absolute priority for CF.

We desperately need to upgrade at the power positions of 1b/RF/LF desperately.

We need solid hitting in those positions at the detriment of fielding IMHO. We have good defense in the priority positions (CF/SS/2b/3rd) and we need more reliable CONSISTENT overall batting presence.

Use the money freed up from Saunders and JB and in FA/Trades acquire some good position players.
Keep in mind we have some elite/solid prospects coming up; Alford, Tellez, Urena, SRF

Paladin2799

Jul 15, 2009
Keep in mind we have some elite/solid prospects coming up; Alford, Tellez, Urena, SRF

Agreed, I think the majority of them are a year or two away.

I think Tellez is our future power hitting 1st base, and Urena is our future replacement for Tulo (if he stays at SS)

zeke

The Dube Abides
Mar 14, 2005
hopefully the rays show up against boston and the others in their last series like they showed up against us.

remaining skeds:

TOR: BOSx3 (.559), BALx3 (.552), NYYx4 (.531), SEAx3 (.531), LAAx4 (.438)
BOS: BALx4 (.552), TORx3 (.545), NYYx7 (.531), TBRx3 (.428)
BAL: BOSx4 (.559), TORx3 (.545), NYYx3 (.531), TBRx3 (.428), ARZx3 (.417)
NYY: BOSx7 (.559), BALx3 (.552), TORx4 (.545), TBRx3 (.428)

Balty has the extra series against the bottom feeder that makes their sked the easiest, our extra series is againsg a playoff contender in SEA, while NY and BOS play each other an extra time making NY's sked looks the toughest.

Kurtz

Jul 17, 2005
Pitching match-ups are quite favourable to us and unfavourable to Boston/Baltimore in the next couple of days. Hopefully we can make up a game or two.

Canada4Gold

Dec 22, 2010
It's like nobody remembers the JP Riccardi era...

You kind of have to see something to remember it. A lot of people only started following baseball closely last August. Not all the complainers now, but it's the truth that a lot of people who are annoyed(which everyone is annoyed, I should say over the top about it) at the way this team is playing right now didn't really follow baseball back then.

ShaneFalco

Jul 15, 2012
London, On
I'm actually pretty happy they sre going on the road. As much as TO can bring you up, it can be deflating at times. This is one of those times. Fans of TO are always waiting for the collapse. Getting away for 7 could be a blessing in disguise.

Agreed
And Happ pitching tonight
Why not try something different and give Pompey a start?

With the rebuilding and such talk, you'd think the Red Sox were 10 games + up :)

Mach85

Mar 14, 2013
A dose of schadenfreude this morning: Jeff Hoffman has been getting absolutely lit up with the Rockies, and not just at Coors.

BertCorbeau

F*ck cancer - RIP Fugu and Buffaloed
Jan 6, 2012
Simcoe County
Not that it should make any of us happier, but at least the Jays aren't the only team that is suffering from some sort of collapse .. Look at the Giant over in the NL West

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad