GDT: Sens vs Boouins - 7 pm TSN5

GCK

Oct 15, 2018
With the team playing better you definitely start seeing the weak links letting the team down.

This game I thought a lot of guys played hard and well. For once, I thought Chabby and Chych played well.

Tkachuk has been a pretty big disappointment lately. I just don't think he has high end IQ or hands and that really limits his ability to lead a team. Endless poor reads or bad angle shots that kill a play.

As usual, impressed by Giroux and Tarasenko. Pinto was amazing too.
Tkachuk is a monster, how many time does he win a board battle behind the net, use his frame and skill to completely shed the opponents, carry the puck into the dots and make a pass or create a shot. He is literally the best in the league at doing this.

Micklebot

Apr 27, 2010
Our schedule to start the year was perfect for a new coach. Damn you Melnyk Board.
Perhaps they expected DJ to last until the Bruins, and this gap was supposed to be a mini training camp for the new coach....

• Haha
Reactions: LiseL

Bileur

Jun 15, 2004
Ottawa
No way.

For all his faults and deflating goals, Lalime could get dialed in for extended periods and actually finish off a playoff series or two.

Korpisalo can rarely finish off a game without something going horribly wrong.

I agree Lalime was better, but he was also prone to incredible and deflating softies. That’s what I find similar between the two.

Lalime also had the benefit of an elite defensive team in front of him.

Reactions: LiseL

Sun God Nika

Palestine <3.
Apr 22, 2013
No way.

For all his faults and deflating goals, Lalime could get dialed in for extended periods and actually finish off a playoff series or two.

Korpisalo can rarely finish off a game without something going horribly wrong.

Korpi has looked good in the playoffs

Mar 20, 2006
Ottawa
Perhaps they expected DJ to last until the Bruins, and this gap was supposed to be a mini training camp for the new coach....

Dorion and DJ thought that less games could result in a good early season result.... so 9 days off and still having played about 4 less games than other teams. So much for the new guys to straighten out.

Knave

Mar 6, 2007
Ottawa

Doesn’t look like he touched it at all in the first angle.

Lol:
79.1 Hand Pass - A player shall be permitted to stop or “bat” a puck in the air with his open hand, or push it along the ice with his hand, and the play shall not be stopped unless, in the opinion of the on-ice officials, he has directed the puck to a teammate, or has allowed his team to gain an advantage, and subsequently possession and control of the puck is obtained by a player of the offending team, either directly or deflected off any player or official.

Another night, another extremely, extremely broad interpretation of the rules. Does Joseph stop the puck on that play with his hand? No. Does he bat the puck with his hand? No.

Lets say it hits his glove as he's trying to grab it. How is that a batting motion or even an attempt to deflect which is not spelled out in the rule? (It is but the deflection reference is about if I threw the puck at another player on the other team, the referee can blow it dead if my player gets the puck and scores) The referees are just making stuff up.

Reactions: DrEasy

Micklebot

Apr 27, 2010
Lol:

Another night, another extremely, extremely broad interpretation of the rules. Does Joseph stop the puck on that play with his hand? No. Does he bat the puck with his hand? No.

Lets say it hits his glove as he's trying to grab it. How is that a batting motion or even an attempt to deflect which is not spelled out in the rule? (It is but the deflection reference is about if I threw the puck at another player on the other team, the referee can blow it dead if my player gets the puck and scores) The referees are just making stuff up.
You're right that the text of the rules allows the officials to use their common sense and determine whether the contact with his glove directed the puck to a teammate, but the common application I've seen has been any contact = hand pass.

It seems clear the intent of the rule as written is what happened isn't a hand pass, but at the same time, I don't mind the idea of removing the subjectivity of decisions. I hate the kicking motion rule for example, just make any contact with the skate in the blue ice not good, and anything outside it fine.

Edit: I would love it if the team would send both instances to the league and request an official clarification on both rules. In the end, consistent application and clear definitions of the rules is all you can ask for, both from the teams perspective and the fans.

Last edited:
Reactions: slamigo

chipsens

Post and in...
Jan 9, 2013
Sandy should've forced Marchand to pass instead of letting him shoot the OT winner. I know this, cuz I can forecast the past 100%. Also, 63 is a deadly viper..who can't be allowed to snipe from there
images.jpeg

Chabby...gets 1, causes 1 = 0. Yay

chipsens

Post and in...
Jan 9, 2013
Pasta wires one from the point..92 mph shot = FASTBALL.

Who do Sens have on PP point with 92 mph shot?! (Chabby = 83mph muffin) GOTTA BRING THE HEAT ON PP...CREATE CHAOS

slamigo

Skate or Die!
Dec 25, 2007
Ottawa
You're right that the text of the rules allows the officials to use their common sense and determine whether the contact with his glove directed the puck to a teammate, but the common application I've seen has been any contact = hand pass.

It seems clear the intent of the rule as written is what happened isn't a hand pass, but at the same time, I don't mind the idea of removing the subjectivity of decisions. I hate the kicking motion rule for example, just make any contact with the skate in the blue ice not good, and anything outside it fine.

Edit: I would love it if the team would send both instances to the league and request an official clarification on both rules. In the end, consistent application and clear definitions of the rules is all you can ask for, both from the teams perspective and the fans.
I think the problem with this play was that he removed his glove from the stick and attempted to make contact to redirect it. He should know better than to swipe at a puck with a free hand in the offensive zone near the crease. But I think it was just a reaction. If his hand is on his stick and that contact happens, it's a good goal.

Flamingo

Nov 13, 2008
Ottawa
IRL Chabby shot = muffin. Eye test. I am sure that my Granny could stop his shot. But I could be wrong...cuz arthritis

In Sens practice, imo it would be INTERESTING to see who can routinely score on goalie from the point w slapshot...what % out of 30 shots? (Goalie must stay in blue paint like ~game)
Sounds like you gave yourself some homework. Let us know what you find out!

Micklebot

Apr 27, 2010
Chabby sags on Frédéric goal, expecting a dump-in, and giving up the blue line too easily for a slotshot. Causes a goal by cheating & lazy play.
l
Chabot was back anticipating the dump in, that's true, but he didn't give up the blue line, the other 4 guys on the ice have to have some awareness and pick up the guy coming off a line change. Tank skates across the ice and leaves that entire side open and Norris is just puck watching instead of picking up that man. When Chabot sags, it became a 2-2-1 NZ trap, that's not a bad setup with tired group on the ice, but the forwards and the high D are the ones responsible for protecting the line there.

Micklebot

Apr 27, 2010
IRL Chabby shot = muffin. Eye test. I am sure that my Granny could stop his shot. But I could be wrong...cuz arthritis

In Sens practice, imo it would be INTERESTING to see who can routinely score on goalie from the point w slapshot...what % out of 30 shots? (Goalie must stay in blue paint like ~game)
Those are the in real life stats about his shot, and the in real life percentiles on how it ranks among his peers, maybe the IRL issue is your perception rather than his shot?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad