GDT: Sens vs Boouins - 7 pm TSN5

Mr Hat

Oct 24, 2017
Kelowna
Neither was Talbot last year and now look at him. This teams defence in the past 35 games has been putrid. I'll give you that Korpisalo has been inconsistent, but he isn't that bad. Name someone we can sign in place of him who will play better.

I liked his reaction after the goal. Basically a f***-you to the Booins.
Talbot has a cap hit of what, $1m? Good for him for playing well and being supported by his teams play, but Korpi is making 5x that and lets in deflating stinkers more games than not. Not saying team defence wasn’t bad majority of this season. But at his cap hit he should be stealing some games, but more often is the weak link. My opinion is he is one of the worst bang for buck goalie in the league. Tonight wasn’t his worst game, but overall his performance leaves a lot to be desired.

Talbots numbers were much better with us than Korpi this year, at a lower cap hit. GAA is not good enough

JackieDaytona

regular human hockey fan.
Oct 21, 2007
What a game! Disappointing result but the level of play and compete is night and day from a month ago.

This looked like a playoff game; this is the kind of hockey this team must be able to sustain if they want to be a playoff team.

No more meaningful games left this season but worth the watch if they keep this up. OTLs maybe a bit better for draft placement too, keep it exciting and promising but not too many points. =]

Reactions: maclean

IpsoPostFacto

No opinions, just reactions
Dec 17, 2017
Lol:

Another night, another extremely, extremely broad interpretation of the rules. Does Joseph stop the puck on that play with his hand? No. Does he bat the puck with his hand? No.

Lets say it hits his glove as he's trying to grab it. How is that a batting motion or even an attempt to deflect which is not spelled out in the rule? (It is but the deflection reference is about if I threw the puck at another player on the other team, the referee can blow it dead if my player gets the puck and scores) The referees are just making stuff up.
I don't have a wider shot, but all I managed to see is a down low ref who probably is blocked out by players and may not have seen the "grazing" lol. They called a goal and then had a little convo and I'm pretty sure the discussion was something like "search me. I did see a guy wave is hand in the area of the puck, the goal scored, then some bruins player skated at me yelling 'hand pass, hand pass, hand pass', so let's just go with that."

Dionysus

Oct 7, 2007
Around the bend
At every point in the game, it felt like the team was going to keep playing the right way and come back. Very different feel than earlier in the season where it looked like something would surely go wrong, and it would.

Stutzle was dancing. Hands and feet finally look synced up. Would have been great if he had finished it on his nice rush in OT. Too bad Brady wasn't able to knock down the rebound. Sanderson was a monster again. Chabot was also good other than his sag on the 2nd goal.

Flamingo

Nov 13, 2008
Ottawa
At every point in the game, it felt like the team was going to keep playing the right way and come back. Very different feel than earlier in the season where it looked like something would surely go wrong, and it would.

Stutzle was dancing. Hands and feet finally look synced up. Would have been great if he had finished it on his nice rush in OT. Too bad Brady wasn't able to knock down the rebound. Sanderson was a monster again. Chabot was also good other than his sag on the 2nd goal.
Most impressive that they fought through the interference, hooking, and holding nonsense that Boston used all game. Early season Sens would have become disjointed and let their aggravation take over their play. Instead, they kept their composure and played the system.

Dionysus

Oct 7, 2007
Around the bend
Most impressive that they fought through the interference, hooking, and holding nonsense that Boston used all game. Early season Sens would have become disjointed and let their aggravation take over their play. Instead, they kept their composure and played the system.

Good point. Professional game by the Sens. Kept working, didn't get panicky or frustrated when things didn't go their way. Like the poor early powerplays, quick strike Boston goals.

Reactions: DrEasy

Ice-Tray

Jan 31, 2006
Victoria
Yeah the refs played it safe and left it open for the team to challenge. It was a tough call for the bench because by the word of the ruling it’s a good goal, but by the consistent application of the rule by the ref it would be called back.

What I like is that they bounced back from that set back with very limited time left and scored again.

That is something we would not have done earlier.

Jacques was saying that the PP has been changed but that they haven’t had any real practice time, which he said is really important. This break could be key for special teams practice in general.

As for the comment of a day off again, the players have mandated days off, it’s not a rest as a weapon situation. The previous day off was a team choice to let players spend a day with their moms at the end of the mom’s trip. Just a touch of humanity.

Not sure it’s a legitimate reason for complaint.

Micklebot

Apr 27, 2010
Yeah the refs played it safe and left it open for the team to challenge. It was a tough call for the bench because by the word of the ruling it’s a good goal, but by the consistent application of the rule by the ref it would be called back.
I've kind of flip flopped on this one, at first I though whatever it saved me the time of a pointless review, but after seeing the wording of the rule, Idk whether or not this actually should have been waived off or not, my feeling after reading it is the intent of the rule is to be a bit more along the lines of a kicking motion level of subjectivity where the contact with the glove actually has to significantly impact the play.

Ideally, the refs stick with what they saw on the ice and the original call, let the Bruins challenge it. The one refs view was clearly obstructed, the other and linesman were 40+ feet away and possibly obstructed, it never would have been blown dead on a hand pass had there been no goal and play continued, so why they decided to determine after the fact that for the purposes of a review, it was called a hand pass on the ice idk. Video replay is there for a reason, either it was clear and you shouldn't need it, or it was close and you let the challenge happen to confirm or deny you're original call.

Reactions: Ice-Tray and DrEasy

GCK

Oct 15, 2018
Talbot has a cap hit of what, $1m? Good for him for playing well and being supported by his teams play, but Korpi is making 5x that and lets in deflating stinkers more games than not. Not saying team defence wasn’t bad majority of this season. But at his cap hit he should be stealing some games, but more often is the weak link. My opinion is he is one of the worst bang for buck goalie in the league. Tonight wasn’t his worst game, but overall his performance leaves a lot to be desired.

Talbots numbers were much better with us than Korpi this year, at a lower cap hit. GAA is not good enough
Korpisalo’s numbers were better last year in LA than Talbot’s are this year. Korpisalo’s AAV puts him in the bottom 3rd of goalie AAV.

Mr Hat

Oct 24, 2017
Kelowna
Korpisalo’s numbers were better last year in LA than Talbot’s are this year. Korpisalo’s AAV puts him in the bottom 3rd of goalie AAV.

Hard to justify 11 starts as relevant sample size for Korpi in LA, given he is known to be a streaky goalie.

Filter by more than 5 starts, Korpi GAA is 61st. Sv% 65th this season. When salary is factored in I don’t understand how he isn’t the comparable of Darnell Nurse of goalies.

Micklebot

Apr 27, 2010
Talbot's numbers have taken a nosedive, which anybody who watched him here in Ottawa probably could have predicted.

First 17 games, .933 sv%
Last 14 games, .891 sv%

I mean, Talbot's first 17 games in Ottawa had a .916 sv%, and he ended sub 900. I don't think he'll get to sub 900 with LA, but I won't be shocked to see all Star Talbot as the backup goalie in LA by the end of the season....

DrEasy

Out rumptackling
Oct 3, 2010
Stützville
Talbot's numbers have taken a nosedive, which anybody who watched him here in Ottawa probably could have predicted.

First 17 games, .933 sv%
Last 14 games, .891 sv%

I mean, Talbot's first 17 games in Ottawa had a .916 sv%, and he ended sub 900. I don't think he'll get to sub 900 with LA, but I won't be shocked to see all Star Talbot as the backup goalie in LA by the end of the season....
A .891 sv% from Talbot at his worst is still better (barely) than Korpi's season so far...

HoweHullOrr

Oct 3, 2013
Causes a goal is what I think that cryptic poster is trying to say.

Back to the topic, that was a good game and on another night they would have probably got 2 points. The PP needs some work though. Its pointing in the right direction though as the Senators can hang with the best teams now.

Last edited:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad