GDT: Sens vs Boouins - 7 pm TSN5

WallyD

Nov 20, 2022
Korpi seems to have trouble with angles, or hand-eye, or maybe simply just picking up the puck off the stick. He still impressed me with his calm anticipation with pucks in close or shot on the ice through feet. He doesn’t over-react, never puts himself out of position.

I’d like to see what a bit more time with the new goalie coach does for him.
Good point on the goalie coach. Fair to observe that he may just need some time with his new coach, not unlike how you can see (most of) the team improving under the new changes with Jacques Martin.

Reactions: Sens of Anarchy

WallyD

Nov 20, 2022
What a game by Chabot. That was the type of game we all expected him to play relatively consistently in his prime after drafting him and watching him completely dominate the WJC
He was very good tonight... best I've seen him in a while! Chych was solid too. Loved how Sandy played too but that is more expected and predictable.

Sens of Anarchy

Jul 9, 2013

Micklebot

Apr 27, 2010

Great comments from Tank again... I am really leaning towards wanting to keep him around if the price is right
I'd love to have him back, I just assume he wants to move on.

If we move one of Chabot or Chych, there's plenty of room for him, it might be tight if we keep everyone though...

Bileur

Jun 15, 2004
Ottawa
With the team playing better you definitely start seeing the weak links letting the team down.

This game I thought a lot of guys played hard and well. For once, I thought Chabby and Chych played well.

Tkachuk has been a pretty big disappointment lately. I just don't think he has high end IQ or hands and that really limits his ability to lead a team. Endless poor reads or bad angle shots that kill a play.

As usual, impressed by Giroux and Tarasenko. Pinto was amazing too.

He seems to either be in full throw everything on net shooting mode or full playmaking mode. He’ll be more dangerous if he can find balance.

DylanSensFan

BEESHIP: NBH
Aug 3, 2010
Calgary
Yes if you look at the 10 games he won and not the 20 he lost he is doing pretty good for $5M. When you look at the body of work, buy him out yesterday as he isn’t a top 30 goalie.
Neither was Talbot last year and now look at him. This teams defence in the past 35 games has been putrid. I'll give you that Korpisalo has been inconsistent, but he isn't that bad. Name someone we can sign in place of him who will play better.

What a game by Chabot. That was the type of game we all expected him to play relatively consistently in his prime after drafting him and watching him completely dominate the WJC

Very exciting to see

This team looks so different in the best way you love to see it
I liked his reaction after the goal. Basically a f***-you to the Booins.

Mark Stones Spleen

Jan 17, 2008
T.O.

Great comments from Tank again... I am really leaning towards wanting to keep him around if the price is right
Tarasenko's comments are consistent with Martin's the last couple weeks. We totally outplayed Boston and the message is that we still weren't good enough.

Total 180 from what it would have been 2 months ago.

We're starving for first round picks but if this guy is willing to sign here for 1-2 years, we have to keep him. He might be slow but he at least tries his ass off, is a very smart player and still has the necessary skill to put up points.

Side note: reporters ask some really stupid questions

Micklebot

Apr 27, 2010
Neither was Talbot last year and now look at him. This teams defence in the past 35 games has been putrid. I'll give you that Korpisalo has been inconsistent, but he isn't that bad. Name someone we can sign in place of him who will play better.
Have you looked at Talbot lately? 2-8-4 with a .891 sv% in his last 14 games.

Sens of Anarchy

Jul 9, 2013

2 on 1 Sanderson is denying the pass. I am not a goalie.. is he positioned right / cutting down the angle ? Is it just a really well placed shot?

R2010

May 23, 2011

2 on 1 Sanderson is denying the pass. I am not a goalie.. is he positioned right / cutting down the angle ? Is it just a really well placed shot?

Former goalie's opinion. I don't mind goal #3 but #2 is a killer. I'd like a save on both but #2 he was SO far out of his net and yet still got beat up high. Korpi has all kinds of athleticism and plays aggressive but he regularly isn't square to the shooter.

R2010

May 23, 2011
Former goalie's opinion. I don't mind goal #3 but #2 is a killer. I'd like a save on both but #2 he was SO far out of his net and yet still got beat up high. Korpi has all kinds of athleticism and plays aggressive but he regularly isn't square to the shooter.
Just as a follow up. A goalie with his size shouldn't be letting in goals on clean shots if he's out past the top of the crease unless he's off his angles. Marchand is a good shooter sure but his release is normal and not like Matthews or Bedard so you should be able to better predict the release point. I like Korpi before this year but he's constantly leaving openings that shouldn't be there. .

Reactions: Flamingo

OD99

Oct 13, 2012
The reverse angle shows how bad he was off his angle. He over played it. From Marchand's view it would have looked like an open net.

OD99

Oct 13, 2012
They're obsessed with his shot. Everything is designed to get him a shooting chance, to the point where the other guys just get tunnel vision and nothing else is allowed to develop.
That's not true. He has barely had any one-timers this year.

If anything they should get back to feeding him. The PP looks incredibly disjointed and they keep trying to pass it through the seams with no success.

Sensinitis

Aug 5, 2012
Disclaimer : I am not a goalie expert nor am I trying to pretend being one.

That being said, here's my assessment of Korpisalo. Evidently, I think we can all agree that he's had his ups and downs. He's made some great saves that show flashes of his potential, similar to what he showed in the playoffs last year with the Kings. Obviously the issue is consistency for a whole 60 minutes and ill timed goals against. I believe some of it can be attributed to the team as a whole and the trademark Benny Hill themed team defence this franchise has been playing for the past 5+ years.

He's exactly the same age as Anderson was when we acquired him (29 going on 30). Has a lot of years ahead of him if he can stay healthy. I think that with a good system that supports him instead of highlighting his weakness that provides some kind of stability, he has the potential to be, at the very least, a good / above average #1 goalie.

If he ever reaches that potential is a whole other debate, but he's showing good signs imo and he hasn't played enough games post-surgery with an "organized" team to say with certainty that "he is what he is". Jury is still out, but I'm ready to give him a full year after this one to really see what we have here. He's already looking better in front of a Martin coached team.

Last edited:

Senscore

Let's keep it cold
Nov 19, 2012
Korpi reminds me of Lalime.

No way.

For all his faults and deflating goals, Lalime could get dialed in for extended periods and actually finish off a playoff series or two.

Korpisalo can rarely finish off a game without something going horribly wrong.

Reactions: DrEasy

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad