Sens Tank Nation Part 1- The Fruit of Futility

Status
Not open for further replies.

cgf

FireBednarsSuccessor
Oct 15, 2010
w/ Renly's Peach
I have absolutely no ill or hatred towards the Senators. If they bounce back and have a solid season, then good on their part in making this trade more even, but I see no problem in cheering for them to lose. It's just a natural process as a fan under the implications we were presented and given since we're not in control. Now we shouldn't gloat, hope they're the worst team ever, or cheer for players to get injured by making them worse off. However, hoping that Dorion makes bad moves or hoping they decide to go under a rebuilding path isn't that reckless as a fan where karma will bite us back in the ass IMHO.

It's not like any of us on here went to the main board and posted "Yakupov to Caps" over and over again, which happened to us.

That’s pretty not unreasonable. I just remember the ill will Sabres fan engendered with their NYI-tank thread after the Vanek trade, and i’d like us to be better than that.

PAZ

Jul 14, 2011
BC
This thread is a bit premature,. I agree with others I think this thread is in bad taste. 20 games left and Ottawa has a bottom 10 pick? Sure, i'm all for this type of thread. But there is still a full offseason for the Sens to make moves and a full season to play. Anything could happen, for all we know Duchene and Tavares are secret lovers and Tavares signs with Ottawa.

Pierce Hawthorne

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 29, 2012
Caverns of Draconis
Seems like next year's draft is pretty weak

What? First of all its still way to early to be talking about the draft being weak in its entirety.

Second of all... The top of next years draft is quite possible as strong or stronger then this year. With Jack Hughes, Kaapo Kaako, and Anttoni Honka all looking like elite prospects already with still a year plus before the draft.

Colorado Avalanche

No Babe pictures
Sponsor
Apr 24, 2004
Lieto
What? First of all its still way to early to be talking about the draft being weak in its entirety.

Second of all... The top of next years draft is quite possible as strong or stronger then this year. With Jack Hughes, Kaapo Kaako, and Anttoni Honka all looking like elite prospects already with still a year plus before the draft.

Kaapo Kakko. I would love to get him. Winger we could use. Huge talent.

Reactions: McMetal

the_fan

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 25, 2006

Obviously I'm not quite sure exactly what kind of a draft will it be next year, just seems like it would be weaker than this year's, but you're right, it's still too early to tell

cgf

FireBednarsSuccessor
Oct 15, 2010
w/ Renly's Peach
Obviously I'm not quite sure exactly what kind of a draft will it be next year, just seems like it would be weaker than this year's, but you're right, it's still too early to tell

Nah, next year's draft is really good too. The top end talent just happens to be more concentrated in wingers rather than the blueliners who dominate the top of this draft. We could well get another Mikko next spring, even if our best pick is #10.

...though I would be curious if combining our two picks could get us up to Kakko, and if not how much more would do it; as both 1st + Timmins/Meloche is a price that it could be worth paying to add that level of dynamic scorer for the 2nd line.

Reactions: the_fan

CobraAcesS

De Opresso Liber
Sponsor
Jul 20, 2011
Michigan
I will only support this thread if three things occur:

1. EK is traded
2. Stone is traded/leaves via OS
3. Dorion somehow talks more **** about us

I'm pretty sure this is a subtle shot at us lol. While also trying to insinuate they can climb back into the playoffs like we did.

“I’m disappointed we didn’t get No. 1, but I’m excited that we got No. 4 if you look at what happened last year when three teams went into the top three and the No. 1 team (fell) to No. 4,” Dorion said in an interview Saturday night at the CBC studios.

Senators even suffer a loss in the NHL’s draft lottery

Reactions: Lemonlimey

Hasbro

Family Friend
Sponsor
Apr 1, 2004
South Rectangle
A legitimate assessment of the Sens chances would be in order. Just tossing out the Avs and Vegas unexpected success this isn’T sufficient.

What’s the good news at this point? Anderson typically alternates quality seasons, Logan Brown is coming and with pick #4 a rookie will play right away.

Even if we are under estimating a rebound for them could mean the second half of the lottery.

Pierce Hawthorne

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 29, 2012
Caverns of Draconis
Yeah like I said earlier. Even if things go extremely well for them this summer. Karlsson stays, Stone stays, Anderson Rebounds, and the kids all come into camp looking good...

They're not going to beat out any one of Tampa, Toronto, or Boston for a spot in the Top 3 in that division. And after that I have a hard time picturing them being better then Florida next year either.

Even Buffalo just added the biggest piece they were missing this summer in Dahlin and now have a core that includes Eichel, ROR, Reinheart, Mittelstadt, Risto, and Dahlin for next season. And Montreal jumped ahead of them with a real shot at drafting Svechnikov at #3.

I cant see any realistic picture that lands them in a playoff spot next season. The Atlantic is just too strong up top. Best case scenario for them is they end up just outside when all is said and done and they just give us a 11-14 range pick with a small percentage chance of jumping into the Top 3.

I also dont necessarily expect them to be as bad next year as they were this year(Unless Karlsson does leave, which seems decently likely to happen).

I'm expecting to get a pick in the 7-10 range of the draft. With a ~10% chance at moving into the Top 3. Considering what we've already gotten from that trade in Girard... Getting a Top 10 1st(And remember that would also mean an additional pick in the Top 70 next year as well) would be icing on the cake.

Reactions: McMetal

Hasbro

Family Friend
Sponsor
Apr 1, 2004
South Rectangle
Just saying the Avs bounced back or crediting the Duchene trade is selling Sakic's work short this year, particularly of clearing the dross off the roster.That's really something I don't see available to the Senators.

Last edited:

McMetal

Writer of Wrongs
Sep 29, 2015
If this pick turns into Hughes or Kakko, the Duchene trade will be a full-on Lindross franchise changer.

henchman21

Mr. Meeseeks
Sponsor
Feb 24, 2012
2019 is a strong draft, just in different areas. Very strong up the middle in comparison to this years draft. Weaker on the backend.

Vaslof

Feb 1, 2017
I'd only be disappointed if the pick is on the 20's. Any lottery pick would be awesome just for the chance.

S E P H

Cloud IX
Mar 5, 2010
Toruń, PL
2019 is a strong draft, just in different areas. Very strong up the middle in comparison to this years draft. Weaker on the backend.
Not sure 2019 is as deep, but I will admit it's way too early too say that. However, considering some of the players who I really like that might fall beyond the 4th round is something I am not sure I will see it replicated in 2019.

Hasbro

Family Friend
Sponsor
Apr 1, 2004
South Rectangle
Sens will be in the playoffs next season.
9dfe9767566d7950681836d307da2bd9.jpg

Reactions: The Kingslayer

Freudian

Clearly deranged
Jul 3, 2003
The big decisions they have to make are:

Duchene: 1 year until UFA
Karlsson: 1 year until UFA
Ceci: RFA
Stone: RFA
Ryan: Signed to one of the worst contracts in the league ($7.25M cap hit for another four years).
Goaltending: Andy signed for another two years but he's turning 37 next month and had .898 sv% over 58 games. Condon is Condon.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad