Confirmed with Link: Sens sign Johnny Oduya to a 1 year deal

FolignoQuantumLeap

Don't Hold The Door
Mar 16, 2009
Ottawa
You think he should have played a guy with 3 games of NHL experience far more in these past playoffs after all the trades we made and MacArthur being healthy?

I don't think White should have been played given the roster we had and his lack of experience.

I'd take anyone over Burrows.

Knave

Mar 6, 2007
Ottawa
It's a good signing and he's a decent player.

You can't go out and just sign a guy of Methot's caliber but Oduya can take pressure off a lot of our younger and more inexperienced guys.

FolignoQuantumLeap

Don't Hold The Door
Mar 16, 2009
Ottawa
Rookies need to earn their ice time. They have to push their way into the lineup. Nothing will be handed to them.

And instead hand ice time to veterans who can no longer handle the nhl like Kelly, Neil and Burrows. Sound logic. I look forward to sitting the likes of Chabot for Oduya and White for Burrows. Sounds like a winning formula for a budget squad.

topshelf15

May 5, 2009
And instead hand ice time to veterans who can no longer handle the nhl like Kelly, Neil and Burrows. Sound logic. I look forward to sitting the likes of Chabot for Oduya and White for Burrows. Sounds like a winning formula for a budget squad.
Yeah he doesnt belong there, maybe add a kid that we all thought was ready in Lazar.Point being we did move out that entire 4th line ,and have made a decision as an Org,to let kids prove themselves before we hand them anything :nod:

FolignoQuantumLeap

Don't Hold The Door
Mar 16, 2009
Ottawa
Yeah he doesnt belong there, maybe add a kid that we all thought was ready in Lazar.Point being we did move out that entire 4th line ,and have made a decision as an Org,to let kids prove themselves before we hand them anything :nod:

Lazar, Dzingel, White, Puempel etc etc. Soon to be Paul, Chlapik and Brown.

Joeyjoejoe

Dec 18, 2015
Prove yourself by playing in a crappy run AHL squad for the past 3 years, and prove your self with 2min of NHL ice time as a forward or 7min ice time as a dman.

Winning formula.

DanyHeatley

Dec 6, 2016
Prove yourself by playing in a crappy run AHL squad for the past 3 years, and prove your self with 2min of NHL ice time as a forward or 7min ice time as a dman.

Winning formula.

the truth in this statement hurts to read. with that being said i think only Chabot will make it out of those prospects listed.

FolignoQuantumLeap

Don't Hold The Door
Mar 16, 2009
Ottawa
Lol Burrows is a better player right now than any of these guys other than probably Dzingel, and even then he's probably better than him at everything other than skating fast.

Ease off the Kool aid. Burrows is awful. Not even nhl calibre but we pay him 2.5M per season.

Holy god is he ever bad.

YouGotAStuGoing

Mar 26, 2010
Ottawa, Ontario
Ease off the Kool aid. Burrows is awful. Not even nhl calibre but we pay him 2.5M per season.

Holy god is he ever bad.

Ease off the hyperbole. Burrows puts up 11 points in 20 regular season games for us and had a couple of important assists on overtime goals. He's not a ****-disturber like we thought we were getting, but your head is in the sand if you can't see the positives that a 0.5 PPG player brings to the team.

FolignoQuantumLeap

Don't Hold The Door
Mar 16, 2009
Ottawa
Ease off the hyperbole. Burrows puts up 11 points in 20 regular season games for us and had a couple of important assists on overtime goals. He's not a ****-disturber like we thought we were getting, but your head is in the sand if you can't see the positives that a 0.5 PPG player brings to the team.

He had almost half those points against the Avs, a historically terrible team. If we were playing against a AHL opponent every night, he'd be valuable. But so would Mike Blunder at 20% of his salary.

If you think Burrows is htting 0.5 PPG this season, you're in for a brutal awkening.

YouGotAStuGoing

Mar 26, 2010
Ottawa, Ontario
He had almost half those points against the Avs, a historically terrible team. If we were playing against a AHL opponent every night, he'd be valuable. But so would Mike Blunder at 20% of his salary.

Five of his 31 points on the season came against Colorado, or a bit above 16%. That's in four games. Comparatively, Mark Stone scored 7 of his 54 against Toronto in the same amount of games. I don't see why we're disqualifying points because a player has a team's number.

Also, if it's so easy to score at will against the Avalanche, why did EK and Brass only have one point eachagainst them this season? Stone, Ryan, Smith and Turris all had 0 against them.

Enough with the lazy narrative that we can disqualify points from the conversation because it doesn't suit the argument.

TheNewEra

Jul 10, 2013

i absolutely hate and still hate the burrows contract extension but he is an nhl player

maybe replace him with thompson or pyatt especially when this dynamic duo gets way too much playing time

FolignoQuantumLeap

Don't Hold The Door
Mar 16, 2009
Ottawa
Meh, hate the trade & salary and spew hyperbole all you want, he's still a quality NHLer that could play on any team's 3rd or 4th line.

Yeah he's a quality 3rd/4th liner like how Borowiecki is a quality bottom pairing defensemen or Hammond is capable backup goalie. :laugh:

Love how you label my posts hyperbole then call Burrows a 0.5 PPG producer when the last time he was that was almost 5 years ago. I know where my opinion will hold a year from now.

Deku

I'm off the planet
Nov 5, 2011
Ottawa
Jesus christ, why are we trashing Burrows in the ODUYA thread? Leave it

Anyway, I like this signing & I expected to see something like this on July 1st. If he can play RD he is the perfect veteran to play with Chabot. Could mean bye-bye Wideman. If he will play LD, it means less chance of Boro playing, so that's good.

BonHoonLayneCornell

Oct 16, 2006
Yukon
Yeah he's a quality 3rd/4th liner like how Borowiecki is a quality bottom pairing defensemen or Hammond is capable backup goalie. :laugh:

Love how you label my posts hyperbole then call Burrows a 0.5 PPG producer when the last time he was that was almost 5 years ago. I know where my opinion will hold a year from now.

Even if he's a 0.3-0.4 ppg producer like I actually expect that's good value especially for a player that does all the little things right like he does. I'm not sure what you expect for 2.5 mil nowadays and it's fine to hate the trade, but you're out to lunch if you don't think he belongs in the NHL.

Edit: I really like this signing. Nice cheap depth move that comes off as a solid bargain bin signing recommended by the advanced stats department.

Last edited:

Sun God Nika

Palestine <3.
Apr 22, 2013
Solid signing. This is how you make EK happy. Perfect mentor for Chabot too.

Claesson - Karlsson
Phaneuf - Ceci
Chabot - Oduya
Harpur
Wideman
Boro

Don't see a trade till after training camp, Sens had 8 1 ways before for an entire season.

Alf Silfversson

Jun 8, 2011
This is a nice signing. Solid depth, brings some internal competition and provides one more option as a Karlsson partner.

Also LOL at saying Burrows is not an NHL player. He was well ahead of Zack Smith in G/60 A/60 and P/60 last year while being every bit as good defensively. He was 3rd liner last year. And a pretty good one. Oh and he maintinaed those stats while playing on a **** poor VCR team for most of the season.

FolignoQuantumLeap

Don't Hold The Door
Mar 16, 2009
Ottawa
This is a nice signing. Solid depth, brings some internal competition and provides one more option as a Karlsson partner.

Also LOL at saying Burrows is not an NHL player. He was well ahead of Zack Smith in G/60 A/60 and P/60 last year while being every bit as good defensively. He was 3rd liner last year. And a pretty good one. Oh and he maintinaed those stats while playing on a **** poor VCR team for most of the season.

Where is this myth that Burrows is good defensively coming from? Is it just because he's Canadian and old (hint: yup)?

Burrows had the worst possession numbers of all our forwards last season and when he was paired with Brassard who had amazing numbers in that category brought him below a 50 CF%. He's a total liability on the ice and bring absolutely nothing to the game. No physicality, no offense, no more agitating, can't play special teams. 2.5M for him to steal a job from a young player with upside. Just an awful player and an awful decision by management.

I don't dislike Oduya as much. I just hate that he represents a stolen spot from a young player with upside, of which we have a bunch on defense. The only way this team improves is from within via youth and it seems the club (especially Boucher) doesn't want to commit to that. I hate the general direction of this club and it breaks my heart.

Micklebot

Apr 27, 2010
So it turns out this is a thread about Oduya signing. Maybe lay off talking about how much you dislike Burrows unless you can somehow link that to Oduya. Pretty sure they play different positions though, so it's going to be a stretch.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad