Confirmed with Link: Sens sign Johnny Oduya to a 1 year deal

operasen

Apr 27, 2004
If we are trading out Wideman, Boro, Phaneuf I see this happening. If I'm a prospect like Chabot, Harpur, Jaros I'm not pleased that another spot on the roster is closed.

Looking for a complimentary Dorion move now. Otherwise, I think it is regressive to the development angle of the prospects.

YouGotAStuGoing

Mar 26, 2010
Ottawa, Ontario
I get it, Methot isn't a stat darling and never has been.

If Oduya at 2M is the same as Methot at almost 5M, GM's would have been lining up for the guy on July 1st. They weren't.

Like I said, I like him and I think he will benefit the team. He's just not a Methot replacement. The only regular physical Dman we have left now is Phaneuf. Boro and Harpur are as well, but I think both will struggle to make the opening day lineup.

Never said he was the same – just that their playstyles were largely similar. We're not getting Methot out of Oduya – I think that much is obvious. But to say he's not a replacement is patently wrong. Oduya is a poor man's Methot and there's nothing wrong with that at his age and price point.

Viletho

Jan 20, 2015
Why does age matter for a 1 year depth signing?

Just like i don't think he's blocking prospest from coming and playing.. If at some point he get beat by a player like Chabot Harpur, he will go in the stand.

I don't think signing a guy like him at 1M, to maybe help at the start of the year before the Young take their place, is a problem.

We needed some sort of stability on D, until we are sure about Claesson/Harpur/Chabot.

And if Karlsson isn't ready, it give us a veteran presence.

Stylizer1

SENSimillanaire
Jun 12, 2009
Ottabot City
Another dude who's old AF. This team is so old.

Breaking News: Sens sign another player

mark-sertich-800.jpg

operasen

Apr 27, 2004
Just like i don't think he's blocking prospest from coming and playing.. If at some point he get beat by a player like Chabot Harpur, he will go in the stand.

I don't think signing a guy like him at 1M, to maybe help at the start of the year before the Young take their place, is a problem.

We needed some sort of stability on D, until we are sure about Claesson/Harpur/Chabot.

I see this in the larger picture - good point.

Sens Rule

Sep 22, 2005
Not a bad signing. It can't really hurt the team, but it does seem like we are just adding quantity over quality. Oduya is a bottom pairing guy. So now we have Karlsson, Phaneuf and then a bunch of 5-6 guys. He is not a replacement for Methot.

That said, adding him to 'the system' should help out. He could be serviceable and I can honestly see him playing with EK to start the year. He will be a bit out of his element, but if EK can win a Norris playing alongside Kuba, anything is possible. Oduya is a better version of Kuba.

The part of this I like is that it probably means they won't rush Chabot. Unless of course, Oduya doesn't gel, Phaneuf gets even slower and Ceci doesn't improve. Then they may have no choice.

I think we have Karlsson, Phaneuf and Ceci. Then we have potentially 18-20 minute D's this season in Claesson and Chabot. Then we gave depth. So we have some potential quality D's that are not guarantees so we need the depth in case Chabot and/or Claesson simply can't be 4/5 Defencemen.

FolignoQuantumLeap

Don't Hold The Door
Mar 16, 2009
Ottawa

Nope. The reason he's here to is to take away a spot for Chabot and/or Harpur. Boucher hates rookies. Oduya will play over better younger players just like how Neil and Kelly did last year. Get used to it.

Sens Rule

Sep 22, 2005
Nope. The reason he's here to is to take away a spot for Chabot and/or Harpur. Boucher hates rookies. Oduya will play over better younger players just like how Neil and Kelly did last year. Get used to it.

That isn't how Boucher selects players. Did you watch the playoffs?

So sick of the damn negativity. Boucher will play the best players to help the team win. He played Kelly and Neil because we did not have better options. When we did they stopped playing.

Nac Mac Feegle

wee & free
Jun 10, 2011

It depends.

If the team truly has the top 7D performers in training camp (whoever they may be) on the roster - great!

But if a kid outperforms a vet and gets sent to Belleville because he has a 2-way contract and the vet a 1-way, then boooooo.

Micklebot

Apr 27, 2010
I see this in the larger picture - good point.

The time frame on Karlssons surgery puts him back either just before or 5 games into the season. I really don't see this signing as being connected. To me this is about being unsure about Claesson Boro or Harpur as a top 4 dman and not wanting to rush Chabot i to that role.

FolignoQuantumLeap

Don't Hold The Door
Mar 16, 2009
Ottawa
That isn't how Boucher selects players. Did you watch the playoffs?

So sick of the damn negativity. Boucher will play the best players to help the team win. He played Kelly and Neil because we did not have better options. When we did they stopped playing.

Oh yeah? How much ice time did White get in the playoffs? 2 minutes?

Charliebox

Aug 5, 2009
Never said he was the same – just that their playstyles were largely similar. We're not getting Methot out of Oduya – I think that much is obvious. But to say he's not a replacement is patently wrong. Oduya is a poor man's Methot and there's nothing wrong with that at his age and price point.

I think they are actually two completely different players. Oduya is more of a puck mover who can still wheel.

Methot is more gritty and physical.

EK has proven that he can play with any type of partner and in the regular season, Oduya should be fine. It's when the playoffs roll around that we will notice what we're missing. (Assuming a guy like Harpur doesn't step up to fill that role).

topshelf15

May 5, 2009
Meh ,he was also a kid that had played 4 nhl games.The players that were on the team for the whole season, deserved their shot to play in P.O games before him .He will get his chance dont worry

albator71

Jan 12, 2010
CANADA
I like the signing, he's a dependable veteran who can eat some minutes and be a physical presence.

And with a one year deal perfect, he will take off some pressure on our young D we have coming, Oduya will give Boucher flexibility, it's never a bad thing do have a lot of defensemen it's a long season.

Sens Rule

Sep 22, 2005

You think he should have played a guy with 3 games of NHL experience far more in these past playoffs after all the trades we made and MacArthur being healthy?

I don't think White should have been played given the roster we had and his lack of experience.

harrisb

Oct 6, 2009
I don't mind these signings, if he isn't needed we flip him at the deadline for a pick. Good way to keep the cupboards stocked.

pt_mck

Jul 1, 2005
Ottawa

Rookies need to earn their ice time. They have to push their way into the lineup. Nothing will be handed to them.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad