Confirmed with Link: Sens sign Johnny Oduya to a 1 year deal

edguy

Feb 5, 2014
Charlottetown, PEI
Very nice cheap depth signing.

Have to think, as most have mentioned, a trade of a D is in the works.

Essentially books Harpur's ticket to Belleville, and unless a trade is made likely the same for Chabot.

I think Chabot/Harpur will start in Bingo and make the jump next year when Oduya/Boro are gone.

pt_mck

Jul 1, 2005
Ottawa
OK signING cheap veteran depth. It'll push the young defenceman to earn their ice time. Nothing will be handed out freely.

Charliebox

Aug 5, 2009
Not a bad signing. It can't really hurt the team, but it does seem like we are just adding quantity over quality. Oduya is a bottom pairing guy. So now we have Karlsson, Phaneuf and then a bunch of 5-6 guys. He is not a replacement for Methot.

That said, adding him to 'the system' should help out. He could be serviceable and I can honestly see him playing with EK to start the year. He will be a bit out of his element, but if EK can win a Norris playing alongside Kuba, anything is possible. Oduya is a better version of Kuba.

The part of this I like is that it probably means they won't rush Chabot. Unless of course, Oduya doesn't gel, Phaneuf gets even slower and Ceci doesn't improve. Then they may have no choice.

YouGotAStuGoing

Mar 26, 2010
Ottawa, Ontario
Not a bad signing. It can't really hurt the team, but it does seem like we are just adding quantity over quality. Oduya is a bottom pairing guy. So now we have Karlsson, Phaneuf and then a bunch of 5-6 guys. He is not a replacement for Methot.

DFgWny1UMAABkY-.jpg

Oduya and Methot are largely similar and this post makes me wonder how often you've watched him play, especially in Dallas.

BondraTime

Nov 20, 2005
East Coast
DFgWny1UMAABkY-.jpg

Oduya and Methot are largely similar and this post makes me wonder how often you've watched him play, especially in Dallas.

He had a very poor season in Dallas last year. He is not a top 4 D, Meth unquestionably is, no matter what the advanced stuff says.

Having him in our pocket for the bottom pair/press box is great a great move.

Tuna99

Sep 26, 2009
Good solid signing, depth is our strength. All the Hallmarks of a Boucher player - experience, leadership, veteran, easy to be around.

Charliebox

Aug 5, 2009
DFgWny1UMAABkY-.jpg

I get it, Methot isn't a stat darling and never has been.

If Oduya at 2M is the same as Methot at almost 5M, GM's would have been lining up for the guy on July 1st. They weren't.

Like I said, I like him and I think he will benefit the team. He's just not a Methot replacement. The only regular physical Dman we have left now is Phaneuf. Boro and Harpur are as well, but I think both will struggle to make the opening day lineup.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad