Confirmed with Link: Sens Sign Cowen | 4 years, $3.1AAV

FolignoQuantumLeap

Don't Hold The Door
Mar 16, 2009
Ottawa
He got injured in the AHL and STILL got paid to sit on his ass......

Hold on. I feel like this is a really unfair comment regarding Cowen. The guy was expected to miss the entire year and defied the odds by getting himself back into the line up WAY ahead of schedule. He was hardly sitting on his ass. People seem to focus so much on his one series vs Pittsburgh and not really take a second to realize how amazing it was for him to just get there.

Nac Mac Feegle

wee & free
Jun 10, 2011
The sens owed Cowen a bit of money. He was sent to the AHL and got hurt for the season so he earned only his AHL salary while injured. IMO he deserves a bit extra.

No. As a young guy, the Sens did him a huge favor by letting him play in the AHL during the lockout. It's not like they knew a freak injury would occur. You'd rather the guy who has missed so much development time already spend the better part of a season sitting on his butt during the lockout? :shakehead

Just noticed this. Definitely no overpayment.

Bruce Garrioch ‏@SunGarrioch 7m
The breakdown of Jared Cowen's deal with Ottawa: $1.5M 2013-14, $2.7M(14-15), $3.7M(15-16) and $4.5M(16-17). #Sens #ottnews

Ok....how the hell did they manage that with the 50% variance in the new CBA?

danishh

Dec 9, 2006
YOW
No. As a young guy, the Sens did him a huge favor by letting him play in the AHL during the lockout. It's not like they knew a freak injury would occur. You'd rather the guy who has missed so much development time already spend the better part of a season sitting on his butt during the lockout? :shakehead

dont quote me on it, because i'm going off the top of my head, but i believe INCREASES in salary can still be 100% of the lower of the first two years, so the contract is compliant.

most of the restrictions to salary structure are geared towards front-loaded contracts, not back-loaded ones.

StittsvilleJames

Apr 17, 2012
Ottawa
So glad Cowen only missed a few days of training camp. If any of our guys really need a good camp, I think it's him. I hope his next contract is in the EK / Pietrangelo level (because that means he had an amazing 4 yrs!)

danishh

Dec 9, 2006
YOW
i assume cowen will join the team in saskatoon? or is he flying into ottawa to do physicals and everything.

bta1976

Aug 20, 2012

I'm happy the sens asked him and he was will to go. Both sides couldn't expect injury, your correct. Should have been positive for both but in the end hurt the bank acc most...

bta1976

Aug 20, 2012
He's already in Ottawa. I assume he'll just start practicing with the squad that's still at home. Probably get in Thursday's game.

Is he in Ottawa? Tim M said today On if he'll play in Saskatoon:

"We'll have doctors travelling with us so he'll get his medical there and then he might even skate with the guys in the morning, but he'll fly back with us and be ready to go on Tuesday or Wednesday." http://senators.nhl.com/club/blogpost.htm?id=20251&navid=DL|OTT|home

FolignoQuantumLeap

Don't Hold The Door
Mar 16, 2009
Ottawa
Is he in Ottawa? Tim M said today On if he'll play in Saskatoon:

"We'll have doctors travelling with us so he'll get his medical there and then he might even skate with the guys in the morning, but he'll fly back with us and be ready to go on Tuesday or Wednesday." http://senators.nhl.com/club/blogpost.htm?id=20251&navid=DL|OTT|home

Okay, sweet. I just knew that he was seen around town a few days ago so it wasn't as if he was holding out and not even nearby. So, he went back home, or he's flying out with the team? I assume they leave tonight.

bogolisk

Oct 4, 2008
Ottawa
Just noticed this. Definitely no overpayment.

Bruce Garrioch ‏@SunGarrioch 7m
The breakdown of Jared Cowen's deal with Ottawa: $1.5M 2013-14, $2.7M(14-15), $3.7M(15-16) and $4.5M(16-17). #Sens #ottnews

Anyway, a f***ing steal for the senators. 3.1M x 4years for JC is a steal.

bert

Nov 11, 2002
Visit site
Well he was paid on potential, hope he can put that package together. I think a full training camp is very needed. The sens don't have a legit 3 or 4 guy right now lets hope those two young studs can lock down those positions and give this team a legit d core.

It would be great to see Cowen and Wiercioch emerge as a solid pair, between the two of them they cover so much of the ice.

Wiercioch has the skill to play the right side could be a dream pairing!

BonHoonLayneCornell

Oct 16, 2006
Yukon
I was just curious looking at the contract breakdown what year he got overpaid? He makes 1.5 this season

Saying he's being paid for potential isn't the same as saying he's overpaid. It's a gamble the club (and most fans) is willing to make, but realistically One season shouldn't get you a 4 year 12.4 deal.

NyQuil

Big F$&*in Q
Jan 5, 2005
Ottawa, ON
What he's worth across the league is pretty irrelevant considering the state of our top 4.

We can't afford this guy to be sitting out any games.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad