Confirmed with Link: Sens Sign Cowen | 4 years, $3.1AAV

Milan the God*

nice...decent contract. Got him locked up with plenty of time.

harrisb

Oct 6, 2009
Finally

Next on the list extend Philly for a retirement contract of 2 or 3 years. Keep him on the 3rd pairing until Ceci is here then move him to a 7th defemseman spot to help the young guys develop

Let Philly walk and play Boro or Gryba in his place. Ceci then becomes first callup and we aren't carrying older guys who can no longer keep up. Unless we can get Philly for like 1.5-2m. He's just lost too much speed and was never fast to begin with.

Do Make Say Think

& Yet & Yet
Jun 26, 2007
Overpaid but by so very little that it doesn't really matter. 4 years is fair.

Good deal, Cowen's agent (isn't it JP Barry?) clearly knows how to handle Melnyk and Murray

Larionov

Feb 9, 2005
Ottawa, ON
If Cowen becomes the kind of defenseman of whom we saw glimpses in 2011-12, then this contract is a bargain by next year. Watching him rag doll White in Game 3 against the Habs is still one of my favorite Sens memories in recent years...

Quo

Mar 22, 2012
Hamsterdam

Good deal, Cowen's agent (isn't it JP Barry?) clearly knows how to handle Melnyk and Murray

Nope. Rick Valette. Alberta-based.

Good deal. Healthy compromise. By compromise, I don't mean cave.

DefenseMinister

Jul 20, 2006
Oh yes, obligatory money post.

When does the franchise fold now that we're over the internal 50M cap? Where my doomsday dawgs at?

The internal cap was never explicitly stated to be exactly $50M, it was always "around" $50M (which is about what they will spend this year in real dollars). Pretty certain that when the year to year numbers are released, Cowen's salary for this season won't be close to the AAV of $3.1M.

Also, Tim Murray once again referenced the internal cap yesterday in the scrum when speaking about Cowen.

And if you want to have people shut up about the team being in rough shape financially and unable to spend the same as other teams, you may want to direct your posts towards the owner since that's what all of his quotes have been concerning for the past 2 months.

Here I Pageau Again

Jul 4, 2012

If Cowen can stay healthy, I have a feeling the "overpaid" reaction will diminish.

Personally I think if Cowen were healthy the last year, the Sens would have had to pay more.

Here's to hoping he actually stays Healthy!!

FolignoQuantumLeap

Don't Hold The Door
Mar 16, 2009
Ottawa
How many games will Cowen be injured in this contract? I want to see what he can do, im always waiting for more from this guy... then he gets injured.

He's been injured once since he joined Ottawa. Played all 82 games in his only season with team before last year's hip surgery.

SaxPlayer

Apr 20, 2007
Ottawa

No, it's Rick Valette. Given the nature of the relationship between Barry and the Sens now, I'm assuming anyone who takes on Barry as their agent is basically announcing they're ready to move on from the Sens. I think the only Sens player left with Barry at this point is Phillips, but I'm not sure of that.

Super Cake

Jun 24, 2013
No, it's Rick Valette. Given the nature of the relationship between Barry and the Sens now, I'm assuming anyone who takes on Barry as their agent is basically announcing they're ready to move on from the Sens. I think the only Sens player left with Barry at this point is Phillips, but I'm not sure of that.

Barry is lazars agent as well.

Here I Pageau Again

Jul 4, 2012
He's been injured once since he joined Ottawa. Played all 82 games in his only season with team before last year's hip surgery.

I think the issue with Cowen's injuries is that they are often re-occuring ones.

Anything with hips, knees, backs are really not great to have. A freak accident like Methot's broken jaw 2 years ago are less concerning (even though there is lots of time missed) because its unlikely to re-occur.

I hope the days of knee and hip injuries is behind Cowen and he can develop into a solid D man.

FolignoQuantumLeap

Don't Hold The Door
Mar 16, 2009
Ottawa
I think the issue with Cowen's injuries is that they are often re-occuring ones.

Anything with hips, knees, backs are really not great to have. A freak accident like Methot's broken jaw 2 years ago are less concerning (even though there is lots of time missed) because its unlikely to re-occur.

I hope the days of knee and hip injuries is behind Cowen and he can develop into a solid D man.

He's had a hip and a knee injury (singular), they were unrelated. Nothing reoccurring.

playasRus

Mar 21, 2009
The internal cap was never explicitly stated to be exactly $50M, it was always "around" $50M (which is about what they will spend this year in real dollars). Pretty certain that when the year to year numbers are released, Cowen's salary for this season won't be close to the AAV of $3.1M.

Also, Tim Murray once again referenced the internal cap yesterday in the scrum when speaking about Cowen.

And if you want to have people shut up about the team being in rough shape financially and unable to spend the same as other teams, you may want to direct your posts towards the owner since that's what all of his quotes have been concerning for the past 2 months.

Sudden Clarity Clarence: What if the Murrays/Melnyk are saying we have an internal cap to get our players to sign for lower cap hits...

corksens

Jul 19, 2005
Finally

Next on the list extend Philly for a retirement contract of 2 or 3 years. Keep him on the 3rd pairing until Ceci is here then move him to a 7th defemseman spot to help the young guys develop
Good lord, no.

The guy is on borrowed time as is.

The Fuhr*

Sudden Clarity Clarence: What if the Murrays/Melnyk are saying we have an internal cap to get our players to sign for lower cap hits...

But Melnyk specifically said he did not have the money for both Ryan and Alfredsson...

It was either one or the other

Here I Pageau Again

Jul 4, 2012
He's had a hip and a knee injury (singular), they were unrelated. Nothing reoccurring.

I'm just stating that any issues with a knee (even just one) can end up being something reoccuring. Unlike a broke jaw, issues with joints can cause problems in the future.

Knee surgeries often need to be redone down the line, and often have issues later. Its pretty common to have knee issues come back again.

So when people here knee, or back, or any joint they are a little more skeptical about it because they are often things that end up being a reoccuring thing. So to have both a knee injury and a hip injury so early on in his career can lead people to think he may have them happen again. Because it is not unlikely.

Hopefully he just can stay healthy.

FolignoQuantumLeap

Don't Hold The Door
Mar 16, 2009
Ottawa
Good lord, no.

The guy is on borrowed time as is.

I respectfully and strongly disagree. I'm undecided as to whether they should sign him or not, that largely has to do with how Cowen and Wiercioch come along this season but the guy is still a quality top 4 D man and one of the best penalty killers in the NHL.

TheOriginalSilf*

I'm just happy we locked Cowen up and I am very pleased with the term.

And chalk up another one for the "Phillips is stupidly under-rated on HF" tally board. Still a very competent defenseman.

HavlatMach9

streamable 3rah1
Mar 17, 2011
Ottawa
And chalk up another one for the "Phillips is stupidly under-rated on HF" tally board. Still a very competent defenseman.
underrated on the HF Sens board for sure.

With Cowen, the gangs all here. Both in his and Pietrangelo's cases it was declared the sides were far apart and soon after a deal was done.

I'm sure it's a solid deal as Murray usually makes sure of that.

Berserker*

Ottawa caved :shakehead

Making concessions is part of negotiating. Obviously the ideal situation is to make zero concessions and force the other party to meet your demands, but that is unrealistic.

That "take-it-or-leave-it" style of negotiating works much better with unrestricted free agents as both parties have the power to walk away from the negotiation at any point.

Making a concession of $300,000 above the original offer seems pretty reasonable and considering the circumstances, a long drawn out negotiation would only hurt both parties to the transaction.

DJB

Jan 6, 2009
twitter.com
It's a fantastic deal and I don't understand the whining in here. Are you paying Cowen's salary? No. It's a fair price for a top 4 defenceman and Cowen has top pairing potential, so please stop the belly aching.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad