Confirmed with Link: Sens Sign Cowen | 4 years, $3.1AAV

SixthSens

RIP Fugu
Dec 5, 2007
Last edited:

danishh

Dec 9, 2006
YOW
it seems both sides have settled on 4 years.

i think this will come back to bite us in 4 years.

IranCondraAffair

Mar 10, 2006
A three year contract and a four year contract mean the same thing, essentially. Cowen will be arbitration eligible after both and could be gone after five seasons regardless of wether it's a 3 or a 4 year contract.

With a four year contract Ottawa will be in the same situation as Nashville was with Weber. Worst case scenario is that we have a Norris trophy candidate defenseman who elicits an offer sheet. Not the worst thing in the world. We survived it with Karlsson, we can survive it with Cowen....if it even gets that far.

A 5 year contract is pointless. Ottawa would gain nothing and would never agree to it. Cowen

6, 7, 8 year offers? Too risky for both parties. With only a hundred game sample, Ottawa will never offer anything high enough for Cowen to accept.

Sun God Nika

Palestine <3.
Apr 22, 2013
4 years keeps him at rfa status im down with that, wont be able to bolt to another team easily

FreakyBunny

Sep 4, 2006
Ottawa
4 years keeps him at rfa status im down with that, wont be able to bolt to another team easily

Exactly. If he accepts an offer sheet we get lots of prospects in return, just in time for the next rebuild if we lose Spezza and Ryan in the interim.

DJB

Jan 6, 2009
twitter.com

Bingo. Nothing wrong with doing a 4 year deal. We own his rights and who knows, maybe he will have earned a 6 million/year contract and I hope he will.

Countdown0

Deep Breath... nope, still mad!
Jun 28, 2010
Ottawa
Bingo. Nothing wrong with doing a 4 year deal. We own his rights and who knows, maybe he will have earned a 6 million/year contract and I hope he will.

This. Cowen has massive potential and is probably going to, at least, be a reliable top 4 guy, and that's if he never realizes his full potential.

If he turns into a $6 Million dollar man when this contract is up, we should all be doing flips, because the Sens will either get an amazing player or some great picks and/or prospects.

I just hope that he signs before the season starts, instead of pulling a Subban...

DJB

Jan 6, 2009
twitter.com
And if at the end of the 4 years are up and he is nothing more than a fringe top 4 defenceman, or an injury prone player, than he will be paid like one. Nothing wrong with that.

4 years to determine his worth will give Sens management plenty of time to decide on Cowen's value for his next contract.

Filatov2Kovalev2Bonk

Effortless sexy.
Jul 13, 2006
Cumberland
Brucie was saying in the Sun they are only about $1,000,000 apart. I know the team's on a budget and all but seems like very little. Can't believe it won't get done by the end of training camp.

The Fuhr*

That's a good fair deal... Looks like Cowen came down off 3.5 and the Sens moved from 2.8

Good solid deal around 3.0

Nac Mac Feegle

wee & free
Jun 10, 2011

You know, we really shouldn't do business based on a he's gonna bolt the first chance he gets so let's lock him up so he can't get away mentality. This is a professional hockey franchise, not a shotgun wedding.

If player doesn't want to be here, or only care about which team offer the biggest payday, then let him go. We shouldn't have to beg for guys to stay here. We have a good team, strong scouting and development, great coaching, passionate (albeit small) fanbase, and a nice lifestyle for players.

Now, all that said, a 2.5-3 per season contract over 4 years sounds damn good for both sides. No reason for this to drag out further.

StefanW

Mar 13, 2013
Ottawa
www.storiesnumberstell.com
I like this deal. $3 M per season sounds pretty reasonable, and the term is not so long that we have regrets if he does have injury trouble down the road or does not continue to develop as expected.

Having said this, if all goes reasonably well he is going to be a very expensive player in four years' time. Maybe we should start a "will Cowen re-sign" thread to go next to the "will Bobby Ryan re-sign" thread.

Stonewall

Jan 14, 2013
4 years is a pretty sweet deal. 7 years is too risky and 2 years would have lead to this exact situation but worse.

Like people have. said, he could at least get us prospects in return.

IranCondraAffair

Mar 10, 2006
Solid deal. The term is perfect for both parties. The dollars are low for Cowen's potential, but fair due to Cowen's limited play.

The Sens are taking a risk but with the 4 year term and the dollars involved, but it's not a big risk. Limited blowback potential for both sides.

WhiteLight*

It's alright. Hopefully in the last 2 years he'll be worth more than that, but I'm sure the contract is backloaded anyway

dennilfloss

Yes I love disco!
Jun 7, 2011
Ottawa
dennilfloss.blogspot.com
Finally some good news on that front. :)

page-111-04a.jpg

PeterSidorkiewicz

HFWF Tourney Undisputed Champion
Apr 30, 2004
Lansing, MI
He makes the same as Methot now and Methot is way more proven. I'm not jumping for joy with the term but were nowhere near the cap and it isn't a huge contract so it's not something ill worry about, I'm just glad hes going to get his butt to camp.

Slippy

Dec 8, 2005
highlytouted.ca
He makes the same as Methot now and Methot is way more proven. I'm not jumping for joy with the term but were nowhere near the cap and it isn't a huge contract so it's not something ill worry about, I'm just glad hes going to get his butt to camp.

Methot wasn't that proven when originally signed the $3M contract and likely had perceived less potential upside. If with one year left on his deal, Cowen is where Methot is now, the Sens will be fine. They expect him to be farther ahead I'd expect.

SixthSens

RIP Fugu
Dec 5, 2007
Bob McKenzie ‏@TSNBobMcKenzie 2m
As Ottawa Sun reported earlier, Jared Cowen deal announcement expected today. Hearing AAV of $3.1M on a 4 year term.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad