Confirmed with Link: Sens Sign Cowen | 4 years, $3.1AAV

Benttheknee

Jun 18, 2005
Ottawa
The sens owed Cowen a bit of money. He was sent to the AHL and got hurt for the season so he earned only his AHL salary while injured. IMO he deserves a bit extra.

FolignoQuantumLeap

Don't Hold The Door
Mar 16, 2009
Ottawa
I'm just stating that any issues with a knee (even just one) can end up being something reoccuring. Unlike a broke jaw, issues with joints can cause problems in the future.

Knee surgeries often need to be redone down the line, and often have issues later. Its pretty common to have knee issues come back again.

So when people here knee, or back, or any joint they are a little more skeptical about it because they are often things that end up being a reoccuring thing. So to have both a knee injury and a hip injury so early on in his career can lead people to think he may have them happen again. Because it is not unlikely.

Hopefully he just can stay healthy.

I get where you're coming from (I'm currently posting this from my mobile while sitting in the OR area at a local hospital aka work, I'm familiar with this stuff in general). But it's way premature to start worrying about this stuff. Cowen's knee surgery was about 4.5 years ago and he hasn't had any issues. It's not something we need to worry about.

albator71

Jan 12, 2010
CANADA
Cowen's health makes me nervous that's why I would have prefer a two year deal instead of the four and the $3.1AAV seem a little high for a guy who's played only one full season. But if he can stay healthy I have no problem with his contract.

CCCP17

Oct 15, 2011
People are worried about injuries. If JC is injured who pays his salary? Is it Melnyk or is it insurance? If it is insurance, doesn't it take the contract off the "internal cap"? If my assumptions are correct it is a win-win situation.

Tundraman

ModerationIsKey
Feb 13, 2010
North
Don't get me wrong, even if not totally sold at first I ended up loving the trade for Methot. As valuable as Methot is now to the Sens, we shouldn't worry about re-signing him. He is still signed for 2 full seasons. So what they decided to pay Cowen shouldn't matter as far as he is concerned.

Eventually it may come down to a Phillips type situation. If he wants to play here he'll take less money. In a best case scenario Cowen and the other D in the system will mature and play the top spots while Methot drops to the 3rd pairing. When Vochenkov wanted too much they had to let him go you can only pay so much for a shutdown guy. Expect this to happen often as long as the Sens are on a non cap budget. The Sens will know how best to proceed once Cowen, Wiercioch, Gryba, Borocop, Ceci etc... have another full year of pro-hockey under their belts. By next year or the next, I just don't see them throwing a big chunk of money at Methot with so many young guys with potential in Ottawa and Bingo.

Xspyrit

DJ Dorion
Jun 29, 2008
Montreal, Canada
Like if that fanbase wasn't already "cheap" and over-scrutinizing everything, now the Sens have money problems? Dear God, it will be unbearable here once again

I respectfully and strongly disagree. I'm undecided as to whether they should sign him or not, that largely has to do with how Cowen and Wiercioch come along this season but the guy is still a quality top 4 D man and one of the best penalty killers in the NHL.

Phillips has been underrated and unrespect for a while on this board... But hey, he is over 30 y/o so he is damaged goods on Hockey's future Boards

Sensinitis

Aug 5, 2012
Let's be reality though, he's 35... Not 31 or 32... He's in the twilight of his career and this season can quite possibly be his last.

Here I Pageau Again

Jul 4, 2012
I get where you're coming from (I'm currently posting this from my mobile while sitting in the OR area at a local hospital aka work, I'm familiar with this stuff in general). But it's way premature to start worrying about this stuff. Cowen's knee surgery was about 4.5 years ago and he hasn't had any issues. It's not something we need to worry about.

That is very true, BUT he also just had a hip surgery as well. So its not just his knee. Its his hip as well.

Also, paying a player crazy amounts based off of ONE NHL season, is a bit crazy.

I am happy about the deal, and completely think it will be great in the long run. But people are worried for a reason. He's had 2 major injuries that have ended a season. He's had two major surgeries. One is a knee, and one is a hip. I am more pointing out why people are concerned, and they have reason to be. Its not like he had two freak injuries that are unlikely to reoccur.

Officer Fred

Jan 28, 2010
Vancouver
Just noticed this. Definitely no overpayment.

Bruce Garrioch ‏@SunGarrioch 7m
The breakdown of Jared Cowen's deal with Ottawa: $1.5M 2013-14, $2.7M(14-15), $3.7M(15-16) and $4.5M(16-17). #Sens #ottnews

The Fuhr*

Just noticed this. Definitely no overpayment.

Bruce Garrioch ‏@SunGarrioch 7m
The breakdown of Jared Cowen's deal with Ottawa: $1.5M 2013-14, $2.7M(14-15), $3.7M(15-16) and $4.5M(16-17). #Sens #ottnews

See thats what I was saying... And they don't spend much money this year saving on our internal budget

RedWhiteBlackGold

Veteran User
Feb 22, 2007
Charlottetown, PE
The sens owed Cowen a bit of money. He was sent to the AHL and got hurt for the season so he earned only his AHL salary while injured. IMO he deserves a bit extra.

The Sens didn't owe Cowen anything. He got injured in the AHL and STILL got paid to sit on his ass......so in your opinion he deserves a bit extra?

Also take in to count the team used up one of his ELC years so Cowen got a huge break this summer becoming a RFA where if the team (whether it was intentional or not) wanted they could have stretched it out and get all 3 ELC years out of him.

Holdurbreathe

Jun 22, 2006
Ontario
Let's be reality though, he's 35... Not 31 or 32... He's in the twilight of his career and this season can quite possibly be his last.

or he could play for another 4-5 years.

IMO people are being very premature writing off Phillips.

Even if in the next few years he slides to a regular 5-6 guy, his experience and presence in the dressing room will be invaluable to this young team.

L'Aveuglette

つ ◕_◕ ༽つ
Jan 8, 2007
Montreal
Cannot for the life of me understand how some people are even remotely unhappy with this deal. He could be underpaid by 14-15.

$3 mil/4 years is juuuuuust right.

StefanW

Mar 13, 2013
Ottawa
www.storiesnumberstell.com
Yup, put's the Sens right around $55M, which is very close to where the team has spent since Melnyk took ownership.

According to CapGeek the salary payroll is now $53.977 M. Of course that will change a little bit as minor pieces are shuffled around before the first game of the season. You are right, it definitely looks like the internal budget we have been hearing so much about is set at 54-55.

aragorn

Do The Right Thing
Aug 8, 2004
I thought he would get $3 & he got $3.1, great signing & worth every penny. :handclap:

Holdurbreathe

Jun 22, 2006
Ontario
According to CapGeek the salary payroll is now $53.977 M. Of course that will change a little bit as minor pieces are shuffled around before the first game of the season. You are right, it definitely looks like the internal budget we have been hearing so much about is set at 54-55.

You are right, I added in the $850K of bonuses that may not be paid out but I assumed they would be covered in their budget.

bta1976

Aug 20, 2012
The Sens didn't owe Cowen anything. He got injured in the AHL and STILL got paid to sit on his ass......so in your opinion he deserves a bit extra?

Also take in to count the team used up one of his ELC years so Cowen got a huge break this summer becoming a RFA where if the team (whether it was intentional or not) wanted they could have stretched it out and get all 3 ELC years out of him.

I think they sort of did owe him. Cowen agreed to go down to the AHL, but wouldn't have been an AHL player if there wasn't the lock out. Cost him big (I think) $67k AHL vs 810K min-1.295M max (764k pro-rated to 48 gms). ( http://capgeek.com/player/1611
That is a massive hit. Good will jesture by sens to pay up to their high # I think

Side note.. I am worried with the way sens management seems to negoticate lately, sounds like most of these contract talks start with a real low-ball offer from them. With the cap likely to increase a lot, Eug's money issues and a lot of contracts up in the next few yrs. Will they have trouble retaining top talent and/or adding top talent? And we may turn into a team like NJ? Hope not

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad