Sens reduce capacity at Canadian Tire Centre

Status
Not open for further replies.

ChelFan31

Mar 22, 2016
What I'm also wondering is how much of a rise / spike in tickets sold would we see if Melnyk did end up selling the team to a more non controversial owner who Fans like instead of resent...?

Mingus Dew

Microphone Assassin
Oct 7, 2013
What I'm also wondering is how much of a rise / spike in tickets sold would we see if Melnyk did end up selling the team to a more non controversial owner who Fans like instead of resent...?

I think the large majority of fans don’t care about Melnyk’s eccentricities. We’re in a bit of an echo chamber on this board.

Upgrayedd

Earn'em and Burn'em
Oct 14, 2010
Ottawa

Personally I don't think it would be too much if at all, as sick as it is a new owner could always be worse which is something im guessing many fans haven't thought about. Whether its the fact many people move here for work and then move away or whatever, Ottawa just doesn't have the more die hard fans who aren't going to look for and cite any and all excuses to attend.

Would love to see a poll on here to see how many folks who are here daily and live in the city attend more than a couple games a year, my guess is that it would be very few these days but I would be seriously interested to find out.

Micklebot

Apr 27, 2010
Kind of depends. I don't think Melnyk himself keeps fans away, but his influence on some decisions might. For example, the budget is largely set by him, so that impacts the on ice situation.

but if we're talking everything else remaining the same, and you just get a silent owner who makes the same decisions, they just never end up being linked to him, then negligible impact I'd imagine.

ChelFan31

Mar 22, 2016
Kind of depends. I don't think Melnyk himself keeps fans away, but his influence on some decisions might. For example, the budget is largely set by him, so that impacts the on ice situation.

but if we're talking everything else remaining the same, and you just get a silent owner who makes the same decisions, they just never end up being linked to him, then negligible impact I'd imagine.

Sorry let me re-phrase my question.

How much of a spike in ticket sales would we see if Melnyk sold to a non controversial owner who also had the capacity to increase the budget ( including salary cap but also operations budget for hockey ops department as well) for the sake of eliminating the "budget culture " thats been floating around this team for past 5,6 years. Alongside no more Melnyk antics.

I know you said you think he doesn't keep fans away; but I know personally 7-8 of my friends just off the top of my head who won't go until he sells. And I'm sure there is more out there within whole Ottawa.

Micklebot

Apr 27, 2010

How much of a spike in ticket sales would we see if Melnyk sold to a non controversial owner who also had the capacity to increase the budget ( including salary cap but also operations budget for hockey ops department as well) for the sake of eliminating the "budget culture " thats been floating around this team for past 5,6 years. Alongside no more Melnyk antics.

It's kind of ironic, as Melnyk bought the team when we were the ultimate budget team, and opened up the purse strings big time (he even through a free for all Eagles concert to celebrate). Now, he's allegedly the sole reason we are a budget team all over again.

FormentonTheFuture

Sep 29, 2017
I think the large majority of fans don’t care about Melnyk’s eccentricities. We’re in a bit of an echo chamber on this board.
Yup. Nobody really cares who owns the team. People on the internet act like he's so terrible, but he's not that bad. He barely talks throughout the year anymore, and the Sens are only 4m or whatever off the cap.

coladin

Sep 18, 2009
This will just help inflate ticket costs. Cost of purchasing, replacing etc. Society as it is is so heavily reliant on technology now that adding another one at the convenience of someone attending the game will take away from pretty much the reason for attending the game which is watching it live.

I honestly have no answer to what could be done to drive up attendance figures.

Reduce price? Cheapest tickets in the house aren't being sold
Move to a downtown location? People already complain about parking, food prices etc. It will only get worse with the move to downtown
In game experience? Can't believe people are really complaining about this one

List goes on
You got it. It just simply is a market that doesn't care enough. The excuses just build up but nothing really beats that the fans are not willing to pay to watch the Ottawa Senators. And when fans complain about their favorite players leaving, well, the only people that run the team like a business if the Senators organization. They can only subsidize so much, right?

Sports entertainment is the Harlem Globetrotters. WCW Wrestling. There are athletes playing a role and entertaining fans.

This is NHL hockey, where there is no outcome known prior to the game, people. If you are trying to call NHL hockey entertainment, you are just making more excuses as to why not to go.

coladin

Sep 18, 2009
Team had its highest attendance when it was gangbusters smashmouth at the tail end of the Alfie core, Pizza Line with pizza giveaways when the team scored 5 then 6 goals at home, we had a 50 in '07 and so on. And we did well under Paulrus when the team was a gritty, hitting bunch of punks. I rail on Boro a lot but his fighting IS entertaining and so are his hits.

Honestly, Boucher should open things up a bit at home. Maybe that will help?
Or lowering the parking to $10-$11.50...it's a sunk cost, does it really need to be $20 to $30?
In those years, I used to get 4 free games for a half season. There were thousands of giveaways per game as the house was being papered all along. Until the last season.

coladin

Sep 18, 2009

I know you said you think he doesn't keep fans away; but I know personally 7-8 of my friends just off the top of my head who won't go until he sells. And I'm sure there is more out there within whole Ottawa.
I don't think the $4M or so below the cap is what is keeping people away.

DrEasy

Out rumptackling
Oct 3, 2010
Stützville
If after the Cup run last year they'd decided to go all out and spend to the cap, then they could run a campaign and say "The Cup. We Want It. Now." or something like that which could energize the fanbase. Instead, what I saw today on the back of a bus was "Here and Now" or something like that, which maybe means the same thing, although I'm not sure what it means actually. :laugh:

So I do think spending to the cap can have an effect, if indirectly.

Personally, I've never been bothered by the lack of spending. What bothers me is when whatever budget we have is not spent wisely.

I've never been on the anti-Melnyk bandwagon, because I'm just thankful we have a team, and we owe that to him. Don't want to re-live the bankruptcy years.

Knave

Mar 6, 2007
Ottawa
There seems to be a lack of interest. It doesn't have much to do with Melnyk.

But maybe instead of bitching about the lack of interest and blaming people for not being interested they should spend their time looking for ways to get people interested.

Nac Mac Feegle

wee & free
Jun 10, 2011
You know, I was on pins and needles waiting for the announcement of the two expansion teams back in 91. I followed every move, every game, every win and loss from Day 1. Checking the scores and stats every day. Following all the players. Dying every damned summer with no hockey. In the last few years, jumping on twitter, FB and HF a few times a day to get the news and absorb any tidbit possible. Living and breathing this team.

But hearing all these 'Hard Corez' talk about how so many in Ottawa don't care or aren't good enough fans....the only thing they've accomplished with me, is being quietly at peace with the Sens possibly becoming the Nordiques. It's funny, years of losing couldn't do it...years of a crazy owner couldn't do it...years of coming up just short after dominating the regular season couldn't do it...seeing our heart & soul walk away in the summer couldn't do it.....but the 'ultimate' fan attitude....that will do it. We're all fans of the Sens here. We all love this team. We all are a family, bound by this team. But...holy hell, this family is starting to drive me bonkers.

Ohhh Franco

Jun 28, 2006
You know, I was on pins and needles waiting for the announcement of the two expansion teams back in 91. I followed every move, every game, every win and loss from Day 1. Checking the scores and stats every day. Following all the players. Dying every damned summer with no hockey. In the last few years, jumping on twitter, FB and HF a few times a day to get the news and absorb any tidbit possible. Living and breathing this team.

But hearing all these 'Hard Corez' talk about how so many in Ottawa don't care or aren't good enough fans....the only thing they've accomplished with me, is being quietly at peace with the Sens possibly becoming the Nordiques. It's funny, years of losing couldn't do it...years of a crazy owner couldn't do it...years of coming up just short after dominating the regular season couldn't do it...seeing our heart & soul walk away in the summer couldn't do it.....but the 'ultimate' fan attitude....that will do it. We're all fans of the Sens here. We all love this team. We all are a family, bound by this team. But...holy hell, this family is starting to drive me bonkers.

Yep, I kinda agree. The constant negativity on Twitter and the analytics crowd shoving charts and percentages down everyone's throat and telling people why they're opinion is wrong and why this team isnt any good regardless of what we see on the ice, has turned many people off. I feel ya a bit.

Mingus Dew

Microphone Assassin
Oct 7, 2013

Here here.

I hate all of this no true Scotsman garbage.

Reactions: Nac Mac Feegle

FormentonTheFuture

Sep 29, 2017
Yep, I kinda agree. The constant negativity on Twitter and the analytics crowd shoving charts and percentages down everyone's throat and telling people why they're opinion is wrong and why this team isnt any good regardless of what we see on the ice, has turned many people off. I feel ya a bit.

I completely agree with your take but I'm not sure how it relates to Nac's post.

Analytics and the people who run analytics sites and twitter accounts have done a lot of harm for the sport. Twitter has given a soapbox to people who have no clue what they're talking about.

BatherSeason

Jun 16, 2009
Gatineau
I completely agree with your take but I'm not sure how it relates to Nac's post.

Analytics and the people who run analytics sites and twitter accounts have done a lot of harm for the sport. Twitter has given a soapbox to people who have no clue what they're talking about.

Sort of like what you and me and many others do here, right?? You have been on your soapbox for weeks now. We are all Canadians who love hockey, why is it OK for you and others to say someone's opinion is wrong and that your opinion is the right one? You as an individual chose who's analysis you want to pay attention to. Personally, I prefer guys like Bonk's Mullet's opinion to someone like Shawn Simpson's because there is a logical argument out there. Guys like Simmer's only argument seems to be "well, I played the game".

If you don't like someone's opinion on Twitter, you can unfollow.

FormentonTheFuture

Sep 29, 2017
Sort of like what you and me and many others do here, right?? You have been on your soapbox for weeks now.

If you don't like someone's opinion on Twitter, you can unfollow.
I do. It has come to point where I have unfollowed virtually all Sens people

There is literally no original thought amongst Sens twitter. It's all one big circlejerk, with the same opinions game after game.

At least on HFBoards you have people with the knowledge to back up their opinions. All twitter is, is "let's look at the CF, xGF%!!!"

coladin

Sep 18, 2009

Ok, so basically what you are saying is you are gonna eat at the dinner table with the "family" while the same people always cook and wash the dishes?

ChurchOfAlfie

Dec 4, 2016
I do. It has come to point where I have unfollowed virtually all Sens people

There is literally no original thought amongst Sens twitter. It's all one big **********, with the same opinions game after game.

At least on HFBoards you have people with the knowledge to back up their opinions. All twitter is, is "let's look at the CF, xGF%!!!"

Reluctantly, I have to agree with this. I say reluctantly because I still enjoy the Sens community and people have well thought out arguments sometimes (rarely), but I'm getting tired of seeing "Ceci for Drouin, 1 for 1" every f***ing game.

Ohhh Franco

Jun 28, 2006
There are most certainly some real solid follows on Sens Twitter, but there are certainly a few toxic accounts that somehow set the tone game after game, roster decision after roster decision. If you try to look on the bight side of things or glass half full, you're shouted down. Yes, you can unfollow them, but they still end up in your feed. It's a bit like a high school or something - there's a few trend setters and they seem to be doing more bad than good to many peoples experiences.

BatherSeason

Jun 16, 2009
Gatineau
Reluctantly, I have to agree with this. I say reluctantly because I still enjoy the Sens community and people have well thought out arguments sometimes (rarely), but I'm getting tired of seeing "Ceci for Drouin, 1 for 1" every ****ing game.

Just for a counter argument, I am sick of hearing about Boro being "The Hardest Working Senator" every game, or the Ceci praise on a daily basis.

Its different strokes for different folks. I have unfollowed many of the media members who consistently praise the organization for everything they do. Unfortunately right now there isn't any middle ground.

SensHulk

May 31, 2016
San Jose, CA
Starting to join the 'this fanbase doesn't care enough' bandwagon. Just look at these responses to senators twitter advertising ticket availability for tomorrow's game:

Where's the pride man?

Fandlauer

Apr 23, 2013
Ottawa unless it becomes a disaster
Starting to join the 'this fanbase doesn't care enough' bandwagon. Just look at these responses to senators twitter advertising ticket availability for tomorrow's game:

Where's the pride man?

They're right though.

Historically the Leafs always push our shit in when it matters, and they're a better team than us at this point. Add that to a rink that will be about 75% pissed drunk Leafs fans. There will undoubtedly be fist fights in the stands or outside the arena. Who wants to go to that? You couldn't pay me to go to that game tomorrow.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad