OT: Sens Lounge XCVII: "Zorf; 21 times!" Edition

What is more satisfying?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

maclean

Jan 4, 2014
I know waaay too many little Amelias and the worst part is that some of them are Amélie, some of them are Amálie, some of them are Anežka, which is a completely different name but they were all born around the same time so it"s impossible to keep straight.

PeterSidorkiewicz

HFWF Tourney Undisputed Champion
Apr 30, 2004
Lansing, MI
I think you should let her choose her own name, its only fair.

Also, this story is kinda insane. Some Canadians were "targeted" as well, whatever it is.

https://www.apnews.com/697536f065e6470eaa5ccfc35061e7ce

Soon came the hearing loss, and the speech problems, symptoms both similar and altogether different from others among at least 21 U.S. victims in an astonishing international mystery still unfolding in Cuba. The top U.S. diplomat has called them “health attacks.” New details learned by The Associated Press indicate at least some of the incidents were confined to specific rooms or even parts of rooms with laser-like specificity, baffling U.S. officials who say the facts and the physics don’t add up.

“None of this has a reasonable explanation,” said Fulton Armstrong, a former CIA official who served in Havana long before America re-opened an embassy there. “It’s just mystery after mystery after mystery.”

Here I Pageau Again

Jul 4, 2012
Haha my uncle and aunt were going to let my cousin choose his own name when he was 2 or 3 but decided to name him then they could change it later.

Well he wanted Big Bird as his name... So they kept the original name (shocking).

Also I'm so so so not a naturopathic person... I'm probably anti-naturopathy... And now that I'm over due all the crazy naturopathic options ppl are throwing at me.

Sorry ppl, if not recommended by a dr I'm not taking it. Just because it comes from a plant doesn't mean it isn't a drug that can have both positive or negative effects. And don't tell me you did it naturally when you take plant based drugs. It drives me bonkers!

Here I Pageau Again

Jul 4, 2012
I know waaay too many little Amelias and the worst part is that some of them are Amélie, some of them are Amálie, some of them are Anežka, which is a completely different name but they were all born around the same time so it"s impossible to keep straight.

Amelia has been in the top 50 names for like the last 100 years.

That said, we would spell it the traditional way. I'm not one to try to make my kid unique. She won't be anything special. Hopefully she'll have health, good work ethic, happiness, manners and self respect... I could care less about anything else really.

Benjamin

Differently Financed
Jun 14, 2010
yes
Its funny how people forget chemicals aren't just something created in a lab. Their hippy flower recipes are going to be filled with chemicals. Its irrelevant where the chemicals come from. Just there effects matter.

Same thing with sugar. Sugar is sugar. You're body doesn't care where it came from. Granulated white sugar will be used the same as the sugar from honey or raspberries. And people get this idea in their head that sweetness = calories and if not, the sweetness must cause cancer.

Sens of Anarchy

Jul 9, 2013
Its funny how people forget chemicals aren't just something created in a lab. Their hippy flower recipes are going to be filled with chemicals. Its irrelevant where the chemicals come from. Just there effects matter.

Same thing with sugar. Sugar is sugar. You're body doesn't care where it came from. Granulated white sugar will be used the same as the sugar from honey or raspberries. And people get this idea in their head that sweetness = calories and if not, the sweetness must cause cancer.

http://healthyeating.sfgate.com/difference-between-sucrose-glucose-fructose-8704.html

Icelevel

During these difficult times...
Sep 9, 2009
Sugar is a nutrient. Good for the body. When it is consumed as part of the food it came with.
Couldn't be more simple. Eat foods as they grow. Everything else distraction.
(So no, you don't get diabetes from eating too much fruit)

PeterSidorkiewicz

HFWF Tourney Undisputed Champion
Apr 30, 2004
Lansing, MI
I always hate food and nutrient discussion. :laugh:

You see new conflicting reports and studies every month.

Breakfast is good for you! Breakfast is bad! Breakfast really doesn't even matter! And don't get me started on alcohol consumption studies. A glass of wine is good! No wait, now its bad!

Sens of Anarchy

Jul 9, 2013

Breakfast is good for you! Breakfast is bad! Breakfast really doesn't even matter! And don't get me started on alcohol consumption studies. A glass of wine is good! No wait, now its bad!

I've been waiting patiently for the psychotropic medicinal plants discussion

tony d

New poll series coming from me on June 3
Jun 23, 2007
Behind A Tree
I've always liked the name Emma for a girl. My grandfather had a sister named Emma. Such a nice name. Hoping for 100% health for your baby no matter the name. My sister has 3 kids all 7 and under, they truly are what life's all about.

Here I Pageau Again

Jul 4, 2012
"Amalia"?

Haha fair point... ok probably use the typical spelling used within the last 100 years. My bad!

And to above, I definitely had Emma on our list (I apparently only liked names that ended in A). But bf preferred other names.

I also just watched someone win $210,000 on price is right... this is what my life has become!

Caeldan

Whippet Whisperer
Jun 21, 2008
:laugh:
Too bad for the most part those winners can never afford to take the prizes cause of how much they get taxed on them.

maclean

Jan 4, 2014

One of the reasons it can be so funny(/frustrating) listening to people on some high horse about the right way to eat because Science.

I think the point about artificial chemicals vs natural chemicals is that lots of natural foods/medicines/whatever contain substances that complement each other in ways that we don't always understand that well (for example all the different compounds in marijuana that can have medicinal effects) and so isolating out just one or the other and synthesising it may not always be the most productive way to go about things. I think a lot of people too have (well founded) worries about the pharamceutical industry/lobby and it's ability to convince us that we need to buy certain medicines when we could achieve the same effect with things that grow around us. It's always strange being at the doctor's and having them prescribing you something that they have posters for up on their walls. Add in the kind of scattershot method many GPs use to treat poorly understood things such as chronic conditions, personally I find it hard to blame people for losing their faith in commercial medicine. That's not to downplay all that we've achieved.

AchtzehnBaby

Global Matador
Mar 28, 2013
Hazeldean Road
So, I am sitting behind this guy called Nikita

ngv7u1.jpg

Mingus Dew

Microphone Assassin
Oct 7, 2013
Cooking dinner for the first time in like 2 months tomorrow. Making spaghetti and meatballs for my ma's birthday.

Here I Pageau Again

Jul 4, 2012
Sugar is a nutrient. Good for the body. When it is consumed as part of the food it came with.
Couldn't be more simple. Eat foods as they grow. Everything else distraction.
(So no, you don't get diabetes from eating too much fruit)

I am always one to think we way over complicate food and nutrition. Eat fresh foods and a wide variety of things and don't over eat. You should be fine! I know far too many ppl who are way to into shakes and meal replacements... Which I'm not a fan of personally.

All this said, I'm not skinny so what the heck do I know!

The Lewler

GOAT BUDGET AINEC
Jul 2, 2013
Eastern Ontario Badlands
Names just go in phases and it's interesting to watch society move around in fair lockstep with names too , it's fascinating.

Generally whatever you name your child will be a common name for that period.

Tons of Olivia, Isla, Amelia , Evelyn, Sophia, Emma , etc right now for girls.

When I was a lad in the 90s there were tons of Jennifer, Samantha, Lindsay etc .

Who cares what anyone else is doing or saying. If you like the name go for it and don't sweat it , it will be an old , uncool name soon enough.

Here I Pageau Again

Jul 4, 2012
One of the reasons it can be so funny(/frustrating) listening to people on some high horse about the right way to eat because Science.

I think the point about artificial chemicals vs natural chemicals is that lots of natural foods/medicines/whatever contain substances that complement each other in ways that we don't always understand that well (for example all the different compounds in marijuana that can have medicinal effects) and so isolating out just one or the other and synthesising it may not always be the most productive way to go about things. I think a lot of people too have (well founded) worries about the pharamceutical industry/lobby and it's ability to convince us that we need to buy certain medicines when we could achieve the same effect with things that grow around us. It's always strange being at the doctor's and having them prescribing you something that they have posters for up on their walls. Add in the kind of scattershot method many GPs use to treat poorly understood things such as chronic conditions, personally I find it hard to blame people for losing their faith in commercial medicine. That's not to downplay all that we've achieved.

With medicine I think it is interesting, not once in my life have I been prescribed something brand name nor something that has been listed on their wall (although my dr has no pharmaceutical posters beyond vaccines). I also think, what's the difference in a dr promoting a medication VS a naturopath promoting a type of tea or plant that they may have a vested interest in.

I definitely agree that people feel let down by heath care, but my issue with natural medicine is that it isn't well researched or monitored or really well known and often don't compliment things well. Also people self prescribe these things that can cause significant issues. A drug from a plant can still cause significant negative results.

And I am not saying that using natural medicine doesn't have it's place (aloe for burns is awesome for example). But I'm very opposed to ones thinking that if it isn't from a natural source then you are ruining your body or Drs are giving you this because they are paid to or vaccines are bad because of all those mnanufactured products. And I also dislike the use of using a blog or someone's anecdotal experience as evidence as why things work.

Here I Pageau Again

Jul 4, 2012
Names just go in phases and it's interesting to watch society move around in fair lockstep with names too , it's fascinating.

When I was a lad in the 90s there were tons of Jennifer, Samantha, Lindsay etc .

Who cares what anyone else is doing or saying. If you like the name go for it and don't sweat it , it will be an old , uncool name soon enough.

Also depends on where you are.

For my group of friends and hospital babies common names are Finley, Mia, Isla, Emerson, Avery.

My biggest issue with names is that there isn't a name I just love. So I had a list of names I liked; but I'm just not like yes... that is it!!

All that said, I'm pretty happy so long as it is a normal white girl name (I'm a generic Caucasian so it works). I do feel bad for some kids names though... Most recently we've had a baby Oak, Willow, Gala and Queenie in my mommy group and I can't totally take it seriously.

Engineer

Rustled your jimmies
Dec 23, 2013

And a couple that have been popular for decades with no slowing down:
Ryan
Various forms of Chris
Courtney
Jessica
Mohammad & Jesus in their respective religious areas

Just avoid Nevaeh and all is good.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events