What is more satisfying?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

DrakeAndJosh

Intangibles
Jun 19, 2010
Kanata
I'm 100% for 120km on 400 highways. Almost everyone does 115-120 anyway. Just make a limit that's actually a limit and ticket people who go over. If people wanna go less than 120km they can, but the grey area for speed ticketing is so annoying.

Reactions: Do Make Say Think

Here I Pageau Again

Jul 4, 2012
I'm going to take a guess and say it was probably on a major highway, where unless I'm mistaken you're not allowed to just pull over to the side outside of a true emergency

It was on the Gardiner but I had been pulled over by the cop for having an expired license plate (I actually had no idea it expired on your actual birthday as I thought it was the birth month). So they pulled me over the day after my license expired. I was on my way to work, so I called while she wrote my ticket so they would know I'd be late.

She then handed me three tickets. One for my expired license. One for using my cell. One for handing the wrong insurance... And when I told her I had the correct insurance in the car she told me to fight it in court. It was a bad day... But I got out of all of them.

BonkTastic

ಠ_ಠ
Nov 9, 2010
Parts Unknown
Seriously? I've always been going on the 'common knowledge' that the tolerance of mis-measuring is about 10%, so if it's a 50 zone and you're going 55 they can't conclusively prove that you were actually going above the limit and thus don't actually fine you for such minimal transgressions. I may have to adjust my driving ...

The ticket I got in the mail said that it gave me a 2km/h tolerance due to potential variance in the speed camera. So 52 would have been acceptable, but 53? That's a ticket.

I lived in Vaud, and they use the 10% rule you're talking about. I was visiting Neuchatel when I got this ticket though. Or maybe I was passing through Fribourg? It was in that area, one or the other. Maybe those cantons do things differently?

I mean, I also got a ticket for going 134 on the autoroute on my way to Lausanne once, but that was just me being a dumbass, can't fault anyone but myself for that one.

Nac Mac Feegle

wee & free
Jun 10, 2011
I don't want the 70 year old with less than perfect reflexes on the road. If you can't operate a vehicle with proper motor skills (haha), then get off the road, plain and simple. We recently took my grandfather's keys away because of this.

The whole idea of "the" speed limit is that the roads are in perfect condition. It would be nonsensical to lower the limit for every single day because it snows 50 days of the year. Drive to the conditions, we all do (or should do) this in Ottawa every year, especially on the Queensway.

Basically, I disagree with your entire post.

But that's okay. :heart:

Re: learning to drive and the implied intimidation of driving fast, I really think we should have the big N or L on the back of the car for new drivers like they have in Europe. I gave a lot more breadth and had a lot more patience for cars with L on them when I drove over there.

_38746039_learner300.jpg

I do like the idea of an L or N. Letting folks know that someone behind the wheel is a bit timid because they're new could help defuse a lot of road rage and dangerous overtaking.

And yes, I'm in the same boat with my dad. He's in his mid 70s, and the last few times I've driven with him, I've noticed his skills slipping. He's always been a very cautious driver, now he's becoming more timid behind the wheel.

It's incredibly difficult taking the keys away, though. He lives in an area with limited bus service, and having the ability to leave the house and have that freedom is incredibly important to him. I don't think people realize how hard it is on the elderly to essentially be trapped in their own homes. Might as well toss them in prison at that point, for what it does to their psyche and self-worth.

Ray Kinsella

Feb 13, 2018
It was on the Gardiner but I had been pulled over by the cop for having an expired license plate (I actually had no idea it expired on your actual birthday as I thought it was the birth month). So they pulled me over the day after my license expired. I was on my way to work, so I called while she wrote my ticket so they would know I'd be late.

She then handed me three tickets. One for my expired license. One for using my cell. One for handing the wrong insurance... And when I told her I had the correct insurance in the car she told me to fight it in court. It was a bad day... But I got out of all of them.
I still always forget if the sticker is due on the birth date or on the month. Instead of trying to remember yet one more thing, I play it safe and get it before my birthday.

That was a bad day indeed!

Ray Kinsella

Feb 13, 2018
The ticket I got in the mail said that it gave me a 2km/h tolerance due to potential variance in the speed camera. So 52 would have been acceptable, but 53? That's a ticket.

I lived in Vaud, and they use the 10% rule you're talking about. I was visiting Neuchatel when I got this ticket though. Or maybe I was passing through Fribourg? It was in that area, one or the other. Maybe those cantons do things differently?

I mean, I also got a ticket for going 134 on the autoroute on my way to Lausanne once, but that was just me being a dumbass, can't fault anyone but myself for that one.
Haha!! I did the same on the 417. Got stopped at 137. He was very polite actually. Proceeded to ask me if I often speed like that... my response: goodness no, I actually never speed. You caught me on an isolated incident. - what the heck else do you say!?

I still got a ticket but he lowered the speed so I wouldn’t lose demirit points. I thanked him and wished him a nice evening!

DrakeAndJosh

Intangibles
Jun 19, 2010
Kanata

Wow that's ridiculous. I've only been pulled over once. Had my G2 for like 2 months and was a bit of a nervous driver. Was going 90 on an 80, saw a cop pulled over with a radar and panicked and hit my brake. If I didn't do that I highly doubt she would have pulled me over. I was honest about my speed and clearly nervous, she was super nice and just told me to slow down and be safe.

MakeOttawaGreatAgain

Illest guy in town!
Feb 28, 2007
Re: learning to drive and the implied intimidation of driving fast, I really think we should have the big N or L on the back of the car for new drivers like they have in Europe. I gave a lot more breadth and had a lot more patience for cars with L on them when I drove over there.

_38746039_learner300.jpg

They have that in BC, too. L while you learn to drive, and N once you get your license. After two years of your N, you can take another driving test - but it doesn't really test your parking, just a quick drive onto the highway, change some lanes, and come back. If you pass you get your full license.

Jan 19, 2006
Calgary
It is quite strange to think about how much a persons clothing (uniform), vehicle (cop car), or whatever will influence our assumptions of them and our views of their actions because we associate an identity with those traits. The human tendency to try and simplify and understand things by putting every in it's own little box has a lot of consequences in my opinion.

It's like that old saying:

"We judge ourselves by our intentions and everyone else by their actions."

Knave

Mar 6, 2007
Ottawa
Yeah we need big L for learner but we also need a big fat O for old driver and S for "stupid" for anyone with demerit points

saskriders

Can't Hold Leads
Sep 11, 2010
Calgary
It's like that old saying:

"We judge ourselves by our intentions and everyone else by their actions."

Yeah. I first heard that statement about a year and a half ago, and I find it relevant in many many situations. Although the one change I would make about it was something pointed out be a reddit comment, and "ourselves" could be expanded to include our friends as well.

Do Make Say Think

& Yet & Yet
Jun 26, 2007
Got my contract extension at the NRC :)

Glad to hear it!

I am getting jerked around by Parks Canada after being instrumental in helping them get their **** together in terms of dealing with requests from employees who have pay problems.

I got there and it was a unmitigated mess (granted they were very short staffed) and my buddy and I fixed it and it's running smoothly.

So I get told they don't think they can afford to renew me.

Lesson learned: never take for granted that competence is rewarded in the government. People who complain and make threats are rewarded.

I'm probably just very bitter.....

Last edited:

DrEasy

Out rumptackling
Oct 3, 2010
Stützville
I do like the idea of an L or N. Letting folks know that someone behind the wheel is a bit timid because they're new could help defuse a lot of road rage and dangerous overtaking.

And yes, I'm in the same boat with my dad. He's in his mid 70s, and the last few times I've driven with him, I've noticed his skills slipping. He's always been a very cautious driver, now he's becoming more timid behind the wheel.

It's incredibly difficult taking the keys away, though. He lives in an area with limited bus service, and having the ability to leave the house and have that freedom is incredibly important to him. I don't think people realize how hard it is on the elderly to essentially be trapped in their own homes. Might as well toss them in prison at that point, for what it does to their psyche and self-worth.
I know you're kidding, but it's kind of happening already in Japan.

megalomania

Sep 29, 2010
Switzerland

Damn that's a very strict tolerance. I had no idea it varies by cantons. Then again it shouldn't surprise me, everything varies by cantons in this strange country.

BonkTastic

ಠ_ಠ
Nov 9, 2010
Parts Unknown
Damn that's a very strict tolerance. I had no idea it varies by cantons. Then again it shouldn't surprise me, everything varies by cantons in this strange country.

I had a friend tell me that in Bern, it's illegal to hit a deer with your car.

Like, if a deer jumps out into the road and you can't swerve out of it's way in time, you get a CHF1000 ticket or some crazy amount. And not only that, mechanics in Bern are required by law to report you to the police if you bring a car to them that has clearly hit an animal, so it's not like you can just not report it.

Cantons are crazy, man. It's an admittedly weird country.

Zorf

Apparently I'm entitled?
Jan 4, 2008
I remember back when I was 16, and we all got our G1s (that's the beginner driver's licence in Ontario). The father of one of my friends would use that big "N" sign that you could hang in your rear window and the ultimate shaming tool for his son. If the kid did something dumb while driving, his dad would say something like, "Do that again and I'll put up the N." Or if the kid bugged his sister, the threat of the N came out. And my friend would go full ape shit whenever it was brought up because it represented the ultimate in shame to him. Haha. It was pretty funny to watch.

Luckily my parents either didn't know about the N signs or didn't care.

As for people saying they should raise the speed limit to 120 on the 400 highways but follow that up by actually enforcing the limit, that doesn't make much sense to me. If people already drive 120 now, what's going to change if you make the limit 120 and then enforce that as the speed? Will it make the people who cruise along at exactly 100 suddenly speed up?

I think you'll end up seeing more and more people (especially the older population) driving below the limit. We already have enough people who can't drive at 100 on the highways. We don't need to add to that number.

My mother, bless her heart, will happily drive at 90 on the highways, much to the annoyance of my father. Her explanation was that 100 was the limit, so any speed under that was ok. It took me forever, but I got through to her by explaining that everyone assumes that cars on the highways are going at least 100, so if you're going slower, it's actually more dangerous than just driving the speed limit. Person merging sees my mom's vehicle driving in the right lane, assumes the car is going 100, makes a judgment on how much time they have to merge, does a shoulder check to change lanes, and suddenly is right up against the bumper of my mom's car...and she wonders why that happens. Hmmmmm...

YouGotAStuGoing

Mar 26, 2010
Ottawa, Ontario
I remember back when I was 16, and we all got our G1s (that's the beginner driver's licence in Ontario). The father of one of my friends would use that big "N" sign that you could hang in your rear window and the ultimate shaming tool for his son. If the kid did something dumb while driving, his dad would say something like, "Do that again and I'll put up the N." Or if the kid bugged his sister, the threat of the N came out. And my friend would go full ape **** whenever it was brought up because it represented the ultimate in shame to him. Haha. It was pretty funny to watch.

Quick side rant: I think this type of mentality is so harmful to society. Where's the harm in being new at something? It should absolutely not be used as a point of shame – no matter the activity, everyone was new at it at one point or another. Everyone has a learning curve before being proficient in any skill. It shouldn't be a point of embarrassment. If anything, we should be going out of our way to help newbies become better and more confident.

Ray Kinsella

Feb 13, 2018
I remember back when I was 16, and we all got our G1s (that's the beginner driver's licence in Ontario). The father of one of my friends would use that big "N" sign that you could hang in your rear window and the ultimate shaming tool for his son. If the kid did something dumb while driving, his dad would say something like, "Do that again and I'll put up the N." Or if the kid bugged his sister, the threat of the N came out. And my friend would go full ape **** whenever it was brought up because it represented the ultimate in shame to him. Haha. It was pretty funny to watch.

As for people saying they should raise the speed limit to 120 on the 400 highways but follow that up by actually enforcing the limit, that doesn't make much sense to me. If people already drive 120 now, what's going to change if you make the limit 120 and then enforce that as the speed? Will it make the people who cruise along at exactly 100 suddenly speed up?

I think you'll end up seeing more and more people (especially the older population) driving below the limit. We already have enough people who can't drive at 100 on the highways. We don't need to add to that number.

My mother, bless her heart, will happily drive at 90 on the highways, much to the annoyance of my father. Her explanation was that 100 was the limit, so any speed under that was ok. It took me forever, but I got through to her by explaining that everyone assumes that cars on the highways are going at least 100, so if you're going slower, it's actually more dangerous than just driving the speed limit. Person merging sees my mom's vehicle driving in the right lane, assumes the car is going 100, makes a judgment on how much time they have to merge, does a shoulder check to change lanes, and suddenly is right up against the bumper of my mom's car...and she wonders why that happens. Hmmmmm...
Your N story is hilarious...!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad