OT: Sens Lounge XCVII: "Zorf; 21 times!" Edition

What is more satisfying?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

DrunkUncleDenis

Condra Fan
Mar 27, 2012
Quick side rant: I think this type of mentality is so harmful to society. Where's the harm in being new at something? It should absolutely not be used as a point of shame – no matter the activity, everyone was new at it at one point or another. Everyone has a learning curve before being proficient in any skill. It shouldn't be a point of embarrassment. If anything, we should be going out of our way to help newbies become better and more confident.
I can understand why though. I remember not wanting my parents to drop me off at the front of the school either..

Adolescence is a strange thing, man.

Reactions: Ray Kinsella

CanadianHockey

Smith - Alfie
Jul 3, 2009
Petawawa
twitter.com
I've been quite lucky with police so far. Turned onto a a 60 kph road near my house and was accelerating when I saw a cruiser parked on the side of the road with his radar on, and he didn't do anything. I think I maybe was at 68 kph by the time I passed.

I have passed a police cruiser before without being pulled over. It was at the transition between the 17 and 417, and I was probably going something like 114 kph when I passed him. I don't think I was the first guy to pass, but most people were staying behind him and doing his speed.

I've also had situations where I have been passed by cruisers while I was speeding, and nothing happened. Driving 118 kph down the 11, was passed by a cruiser who was going probably 124 kph.

My Uncle, who is former OPP, has said that in general, you won't get pulled over going less than 120 kph on one of the 400 series highways.

My biggest pet peeve on the road: driving on a single lane highway, you reach a passing lane, and the cars who have been going slow suddenly accelerate by 20kph, preventing you from passing. As soon as the passing lane ends, they drop right back down. Those drivers can f*** off.

ALSO, new socks > new undies.

Zorf

Apparently I'm entitled?
Jan 4, 2008
Quick side rant: I think this type of mentality is so harmful to society. Where's the harm in being new at something? It should absolutely not be used as a point of shame – no matter the activity, everyone was new at it at one point or another. Everyone has a learning curve before being proficient in any skill. It shouldn't be a point of embarrassment. If anything, we should be going out of our way to help newbies become better and more confident.

But that takes all the fun out of messing with people who have the newbie sign hanging in their rear window!

Also, being 16-17-18 years old, your whole world revolves around your social status. Having any sort of noob tag associated to you would just be the end of the world as you knew it. Like remember how big of a deal it was that time when Suzie told Tammy's secret to Donna, and Donna then told like 3 other people that Tammy had a crush on Mike, but Mike was totally going out with Jennifer, and Jennifer is going to be sooooo mad and Tammy now and I bet they won't talk anymore even though they have been best friends since grade 1? So in that context, I can see now the newbie sign would matter.

I may have done a few douchey things to new drivers back when I was a misguided youth. Now I give them all the room possible. Being a mature and responsible adult is no fun. Also, since it's my car I'm driving and not my parent's, I tend to care more about it. Go figure?

DrunkUncleDenis

Condra Fan
Mar 27, 2012
My biggest pet peeve on the road: driving on a single lane highway, you reach a passing lane, and the cars who have been going slow suddenly accelerate by 20kph, preventing you from passing. As soon as the passing lane ends, they drop right back down. Those drivers can **** off.

You and me both. I spend far too much time on the 17 cursing those cars. And it seems like everyone does it.

YouGotAStuGoing

Mar 26, 2010
Ottawa, Ontario
I can understand why though. I remember not wanting my parents to drop me off at the front of the school either..

Adolescence is a strange thing, man.
But that takes all the fun out of messing with people who have the newbie sign hanging in their rear window!

Also, being 16-17-18 years old, your whole world revolves around your social status. Having any sort of noob tag associated to you would just be the end of the world as you knew it. Like remember how big of a deal it was that time when Suzie told Tammy's secret to Donna, and Donna then told like 3 other people that Tammy had a crush on Mike, but Mike was totally going out with Jennifer, and Jennifer is going to be sooooo mad and Tammy now and I bet they won't talk anymore even though they have been best friends since grade 1? So in that context, I can see now the newbie sign would matter.

I may have done a few *****ey things to new drivers back when I was a misguided youth. Now I give them all the room possible. Being a mature and responsible adult is no fun. Also, since it's my car I'm driving and not my parent's, I tend to care more about it. Go figure?
Fair points all around. I miss caring that much about "status." Sure, it sucked at the time, but it beats the hell out of having to be conscious at all times of the consequences of actions. Youth is wasted on the young.

DrakeAndJosh

Intangibles
Jun 19, 2010
Kanata
You and me both. I spend far too much time on the 17 cursing those cars. And it seems like everyone does it.
My biggest pet peeve on the road: driving on a single lane highway, you reach a passing lane, and the cars who have been going slow suddenly accelerate by 20kph, preventing you from passing. As soon as the passing lane ends, they drop right back down. Those drivers can **** off.
Omg I do the Ottawa - Sudbury drive once every month or two and this is the most ridiculous and common thing ever. I can't believe it every time it happens and forces me to either have to pass way too quickly or wait forever on the single lanes until i get a safe opportunity. Why people don't use cruise control more often on these roads is beyond me.

coladin

Sep 18, 2009
Yeah, I see way to many people drive at the limit in terrible conditions (seems to be mainly trucks, but that could be my personal bias influencing that). I wouldn't be opposed to a "summer limit" that is a bit higher in June, July, August thiugh. My biggest issue with speed limits is how the vast majority of cars go a little bit over the limit, but you can still get a ticket for going the speed of traffic. I would rather see the rules adapted or more strongly enforced since it seems ridiculous that everyone breaks the rules and typically gets away with it.

It also bothers me that people can get pulled over and not get a ticket because of the cops mood. But I am just being bitter because the one time a cop pulled me over I got a massive ticket for what I think seems relatively minor compared to what I hear about people getting away with.

I like this. Maybe a law for May 1 to October 31 for higher limits. I can't recall the last time I heard someone being pulled over for 120 on the 400 highways, but it can happen according to the signage. That 20km/h would make driving more relaxed and shave 20% on a trip in travel .

coladin

Sep 18, 2009

I may have done a few *****ey things to new drivers back when I was a misguided youth. Now I give them all the room possible. Being a mature and responsible adult is no fun. Also, since it's my car I'm driving and not my parent's, I tend to care more about it. Go figure?

My son will be 17 this summer and we at having the car discussion which is freaking me out a little bit, but it is going to happen sooner or later. He is going for his licence in April and desperately wants a car for September. It will give him a whole hour of sleep more for him and his sister, as his bus drops him off 30 minutes before school, because that bus has to go pick up the elementary run. Stupid and unfair, but costs are what they in Ontario, aren't they?

He can't drive my cars, because they are too fast and as good as he is at driving, I just don't feel comfortable. But every car is quick today. back when I was his age , a car that could go 0-100km/h in 8 seconds was considered fast. Today? Almost every new car can do that. He knows he will basically be working for his car as insurance is costly, and dad will help out, but he is under no illusion about the ramifications of a driving charge. The car will sit.

Seems like yesterday he was playing with Hot Wheels, and now he is driving them!

DrakeAndJosh

Intangibles
Jun 19, 2010
Kanata
My son will be 17 this summer and we at having the car discussion which is freaking me out a little bit, but it is going to happen sooner or later. He is going for his licence in April and desperately wants a car for September. It will give him a whole hour of sleep more for him and his sister, as his bus drops him off 30 minutes before school, because that bus has to go pick up the elementary run. Stupid and unfair, but costs are what they in Ontario, aren't they?

He can't drive my cars, because they are too fast and as good as he is at driving, I just don't feel comfortable. But every car is quick today. back when I was his age , a car that could go 0-100km/h in 8 seconds was considered fast. Today? Almost every new car can do that. He knows he will basically be working for his car as insurance is costly, and dad will help out, but he is under no illusion about the ramifications of a driving charge. The car will sit.

Seems like yesterday he was playing with Hot Wheels, and now he is driving them!
Get him a car that shakes violently when he drives over 110 like my 01 Pontiac Sunfire. So glad I'm done with that :laugh:

18Hossa

And Grace, Too
Oct 12, 2012
Get him a car that shakes violently when he drives over 110 like my 01 Pontiac Sunfire. So glad I'm done with that :laugh:

Was talking to this 17 year old I know and apparently his parent's car which he drives beeps incessantly if they go 10 over the speed limit. Idk how it works but that seems like something some of the parents would like that, but I can guarantee your kids will hate it.

Reactions: Smeddy

Ray Kinsella

Feb 13, 2018
My young lad has his G1 but won’t practice with my car since I drive manual. I get that it can be intimidating when you’re first learning to drive altogether. However, my car’s only 2 years old and I’m not on the market to change it anytime soon.

Anyone with constructive advice on how to slowly convince him to give it a shot, is welcomed. Although, I do get nervous about my transmission if mishandled... :(

DrunkUncleDenis

Condra Fan
Mar 27, 2012
My young lad has his G1 but won’t practice with my car since I drive manual. I get that it can be intimidating when you’re first learning to drive altogether. However, my car’s only 2 years old and I’m not on the market to change it anytime soon.

Anyone with constructive advice on how to slowly convince him to give it a shot, is welcomed. Although, I do get nervous about my transmission if mishandled... :(
Tricky. I was the fourth kid in our family to learn on an old Corolla. I'd be hesitant to have someone learn on my new baby.

That said, start with the CTC parking lots. Get the whole "out of first, then into second" thing down. Then take him out on some open roads.

Once.

Then leave to Toronto for 2 months with the automatic SUV and stick him with the Corolla so the only option he has is a bus, or learn very quickly how to drive stick in the real world.

#dadissues

Ray Kinsella

Feb 13, 2018
Tricky. I was the fourth kid in our family to learn on an old Corolla. I'd be hesitant to have someone learn on my new baby.

That said, start with the CTC parking lots. Get the whole "out of first, then into second" thing down. Then take him out on some open roads.

Once.

Then leave to Toronto for 2 months with the automatic SUV and stick him with the Corolla so the only option he has is a bus, or learn very quickly how to drive stick in the real world.

#dadissues
Haha.... we actually live in the sticks. So he could easily practice on our road (we’re literally in the middle of nowhere).

I taught him how to start the car. So, at the very least, it gives him a feel for using the clutch, (properly) shifting in neutral and handling the hand break. I feel that’s a good basic. Now, he starts my car every morning which is a treat since it’s still a bit chilly that early in the day and the car is nice and toasty by the time I get in.

Zorf

Apparently I'm entitled?
Jan 4, 2008
It was quite the exercise in patience for my parents to teach me how to drive a manual. My mom was better at it than my dad...probably because my dad hated what I was doing to the gears and clutch and mom didn't give a damn about that stuff.

It's just practice. There's no easy way around it unless you put your kid in driver's ed and make sure that the instructor has a manual transmission. I still remember the feeling of dread when I'd be stopped on a hill and a car would pull riiiiight up behind me. Pull the e-brake, rev the engine to art least 3,000, slam e-brake down while quickly releasing clutch, pray and hold on for dear life. Mom would be like, "Good job not rolling backwards" but in her mind I'm pretty sure she was yelling at me.

I sold my last manual transmission car when baby #1 was on the way. Now I'm driving a family van. I miss changing gears :(

Also, huge benefit to having a manual transmission: You don't need to worry about your kid's friends driving the car.

Reactions: coladin

coladin

Sep 18, 2009

My son is mad at me for this , but I am insisting that his car will be manual. I think it will be much more difficult to text and drive for starters. plus, I explain to him that driving a manual car is more engaging and transforms the driving experience and gives you a real different driving experience. It can also be fun! I have a manual summer vehicle so he is familiar with it, plus when we travel to Europe he would shift the gears for me for fun. It is a dying transmission, sadly.

There is a driving school for manual that I will put him in, or find a car to rent over the weekend. I think he has resigned himself that Dad ain't playin' so he is getting ready for the shifting!

PeterSidorkiewicz

HFWF Tourney Undisputed Champion
Apr 30, 2004
Lansing, MI
I have owned a few manuals. I learned around college time, it was weird I kept stalling and sucking for about an hour, then something in your brain just clicks and right after that click, its pretty damn easy. I have owned an RSX Type S and VW GLI in manuals, fun cars to putz around in!

I am not sure about forcing your son to drive a stick though, I mean manuals are fricken dying. It's like teaching your son how to text with a numberpad on a phone. :sarcasm:

I'm not a parent though, so my advice is worthless. :laugh:

Micklebot

Apr 27, 2010
I have owned a few manuals. I learned around college time, it was weird I kept stalling and sucking for about an hour, then something in your brain just clicks and right after that click, its pretty damn easy. I have owned an RSX Type S and VW GLI in manuals, fun cars to putz around in!

I am not sure about forcing your son to drive a stick though, I mean manuals are fricken dying. It's like teaching your son how to text with a numberpad on a phone. :sarcasm:

Manual can also kill the resale value these days depending on what kind of car it is. I liked driving manual, and I sometimes miss it now that we have an automatic, but I'll make due with my paddle shifters.

PeterSidorkiewicz

HFWF Tourney Undisputed Champion
Apr 30, 2004
Lansing, MI
Manual can also kill the resale value these days depending on what kind of car it is. I liked driving manual, and I sometimes miss it now that we have an automatic, but I'll make due with my paddle shifters.

I want to pay off my "regular" car and maybe someday get a "fun car" with a manual, assuming I can afford it. I also someday want a cabin, so I think I will have to make sacrifices, haha.

Ray Kinsella

Feb 13, 2018
My son is mad at me for this , but I am insisting that his car will be manual. I think it will be much more difficult to text and drive for starters. plus, I explain to him that driving a manual car is more engaging and transforms the driving experience and gives you a real different driving experience. It can also be fun! I have a manual summer vehicle so he is familiar with it, plus when we travel to Europe he would shift the gears for me for fun. It is a dying transmission, sadly.

There is a driving school for manual that I will put him in, or find a car to rent over the weekend. I think he has resigned himself that Dad ain't playin' so he is getting ready for the shifting!
I’v been driving manual for years and it’s definitely more enjoyable. I’m hoping to slowly and subtly convince him. It’s a question of getting used to, like everything else obviously.

Mind you, to this day, I still hate being caught at a red light, uphill, with someone behind me inches away from my car!!

But I’ll talk to my son about that part only later....

Reactions: coladin

Ray Kinsella

Feb 13, 2018

My intent is not necessarily to force him. It’s more of a “only option for him to practice” situation.

I also hope they never completely discontinue them. I get extremely bored driving a manual. Plus, I keep reaching for the clutch and the shift. The worse, is when you’re so used to driving manual, and you suddenly drive an automatic with the shifting on the floor. Man... that is dangerous stuff!

BonkTastic

ಠ_ಠ
Nov 9, 2010
Parts Unknown
Manual transmission in commuter cars will be dead in the developed world within 20 years.

As soon as any of the major auto manufacturers make a breakthrough on driver-less technology in cars, it's over.

Ray Kinsella

Feb 13, 2018
Pfff, here in the US OF A its about us and no one else! :sarcasm:

Manuals are being killed off here at a pretty good rate.
They’re becoming harder to find here in Canada as well. I’ve seen a brand new Stingray with all the bells and whistles at the dealership and it was an automatic. To me, that’s a sacrilege!

In any case, I’m hoping my son will get to experience it before they’re gone.

maclean

Jan 4, 2014
It's like that old saying:

"We judge ourselves by our intentions and everyone else by their actions."

I find that people judge other people a lot by their own intentions, i.e. they project their intentions onto others. So people who are often suspicious of other people's intentions, it's because they are projecting how they themselves would act in that person's situation. Which is of course only natural, but it's sometimes amazing how much it says about a person by what they think of other people's intentions.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad