OT: Sens Lounge XCVII: "Zorf; 21 times!" Edition

What is more satisfying?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

PoutineSp00nZ

Electricity is really just organized lightning.
Jul 21, 2009
Ottawa
One of the most annoying things about living in Alberta is how so many people think it is acceptable to just talk **** about politicians they don't like (ie Trudeau, Notley). I don't want to say anything to co-workers or random people because I don't want to stir the pot. But it really gets on my nerves how people assume everyone agrees with them and they are totally right.

When my mom and dad bought a farm in small-town Alberta in the 80s a group of neighbours came by to welcome them to area. Then asked who they were voting for, because everyone votes conservative in those parts. Lol

PeterSidorkiewicz

HFWF Tourney Undisputed Champion
Apr 30, 2004
Lansing, MI
Finished painting the guest bedroom on Saturday. Black. The GF was a little hesitant but now loves it. I knew it was gonna look good I'm loving it. It's pretty much morphing into my full on gothic room. Next I'm moving onto wall decor ideas in there as I only have a couple of prints so far I want to put up. I need an ornate style mirror and moved my dresser I repurposed a last year in there.

It's shaping up well!

Reactions: Do Make Say Think

coladin

Sep 18, 2009
So I went to Orto, Rene Rodrguez cooking Italian, and it was good. Nice little place near Lansdowne.

Had the octopus, followed by pappardelle and tuna piccata. Octopus was cooked well but the pork belly didn't mesh on the same plate, even though it was good on its own merit.

Pappardelle was a proper plate of pasta, one of the best I've had in the city. Funghi and bottarga gave it an earthy but slightly fishy flavour. Wowsers.

Tuna was ok, but, again, similar to the octopus, too many flavours that didn't really mesh. Very tasty and cooked perfectly. Would recommend but Giovanni's has nothing to worry about!

I had a chance at buying bottarga this summer in Venice but the shop was closed when we had to leave, and my father in law is such a foodie and wanted us to get some! It is salted fish roe, orangey in colour and a really unique flavour. It is really good grated on pasta as well. Going to Toronto and see if I can find some there.

Reactions: DrEasy

Mingus Dew

Microphone Assassin
Oct 7, 2013
So I went to Orto, Rene Rodrguez cooking Italian, and it was good. Nice little place near Lansdowne.

Had the octopus, followed by pappardelle and tuna piccata. Octopus was cooked well but the pork belly didn't mesh on the same plate, even though it was good on its own merit.

Pappardelle was a proper plate of pasta, one of the best I've had in the city. Funghi and bottarga gave it an earthy but slightly fishy flavour. Wowsers.

Tuna was ok, but, again, similar to the octopus, too many flavours that didn't really mesh. Very tasty and cooked perfectly. Would recommend but Giovanni's has nothing to worry about!

I had a chance at buying bottarga this summer in Venice but the shop was closed when we had to leave, and my father in law is such a foodie and wanted us to get some! It is salted fish roe, orangey in colour and a really unique flavour. It is really good grated on pasta as well. Going to Toronto and see if I can find some there.

The pasta sounds unreal. Bottarga is really good, but then again so are most luxe/rare ingredients like that (caviar... drool).

I won’t be in Ottawa again for a while but I’m putting it on the list!

Reactions: coladin

coladin

Sep 18, 2009
It has definitely worked for me!

Absolutely. When I was in Pompeii this summer, the archaeologist brought up how they lived back then and the importance of olive oil, especially for digestive reasons. Lubricant will make everything slippery!

I would personally have my tablespoon on a piece of hot bread and some salt and oregano...

saskriders

Can't Hold Leads
Sep 11, 2010
Calgary
I think the main disadvantage to mixed curling is the fact that it essentially doubles your league fees at the casual level, so it's going to be very tough to get leagues started at the local level, which will really limit it's popularity. Also, you need to be super-fit to play, more so than with regular curling, and you know how casual curlers are...

As for the tick part of your post, I sort of agree at the elite levels. The World Curling Association has adopted the 5-rock free guard zone rule though, which has helped. Canada hasn't adopted it yet, but I played with that rule while overseas. It's wild.

I never really considered the fees. I was kinda thinking that with the same number of players fees would be the same. Maybe with games being shorter the fees would be a bit lower per team, but not per player :dunno: I do think that it is good for developing the game in new markets since it would be much easier to find two players interested in trying out a new game than to find four players in a country without much curling culture.

I don't necessarily think the being fit is a bad thing. Curling needs more younger players, particularly at the club level. Ultimately what I would like to see is the two different games to be seen as equals with maybe at the elite level different players specializing in one or the other. Just two different ways to play the same game.

Did you find the five rock rule made much of a difference? I haven't watched many events outside of the Brier/Worlds/Olympics for the past couple years so I haven't seen it in action much. I would think that it would only really make a big difference when the team without the hammer has a big lead and is trying to keep rocks out of play, but haven't see it in action so can't say for certain. I would imagine if guards couldn't be moved at all through the first four (or possibly five) stones it would always guarantee the team trailing late gets to have at least one opportunity to get a rock behind cover as opposed to both their lead's guards getting ticked out of relevancy.

What did you find the opinion of mixed doubles to be in Switzerland? In New Zealand's curling circle I found that it was seen as close to (if not on par) with traditional curling.

BonkTastic

ಠ_ಠ
Nov 9, 2010
Parts Unknown
Did you find the five rock rule made much of a difference? I haven't watched many events outside of the Brier/Worlds/Olympics for the past couple years so I haven't seen it in action much. I would think that it would only really make a big difference when the team without the hammer has a big lead and is trying to keep rocks out of play, but haven't see it in action so can't say for certain. I would imagine if guards couldn't be moved at all through the first four (or possibly five) stones it would always guarantee the team trailing late gets to have at least one opportunity to get a rock behind cover as opposed to both their lead's guards getting ticked out of relevancy.

Five rock rule made a huge difference. It was SO much easier to steal ends, you always have so much garbage in front of the house. Stealing 2 isn't as impossible anymore. It definitely favors teams who have a strong bump & raise game at the lower levels, for sure. A lot of teams changed their style a lot to accommodate the new rules (this is the first year the Swiss federation adopted it). Most people loved it, leads to higher scoring games and way less blank ends.

What did you find the opinion of mixed doubles to be in Switzerland? In New Zealand's curling circle I found that it was seen as close to (if not on par) with traditional curling.

No one knew mixed doubles even existed in Switzerland, as far as I'm concerned. I've been to probably a dozen curling clubs in the past year, both Switzerland and Canada combined, and I have literally not yet met a single person who has ever played mixed doubles curling before. Everyone I have met either had never heard of it, or had a "huh, that's interesting" opinion about it.

Maybe it's popular out west? It is almost universally unknown in any curling circles I have been around outside of this past week of Olympic coverage.

saskriders

Can't Hold Leads
Sep 11, 2010
Calgary
No one knew mixed doubles even existed in Switzerland, as far as I'm concerned. I've been to probably a dozen curling clubs in the past year, both Switzerland and Canada combined, and I have literally not yet met a single person who has ever played mixed doubles curling before. Everyone I have met either had never heard of it, or had a "huh, that's interesting" opinion about it.

Maybe it's popular out west? It is almost universally unknown in any curling circles I have been around outside of this past week of Olympic coverage.

I haven't played since I got back from New Zealand, but before I left it wasn't popular out west before I left. The only people who knew about it knew of it because of the Continental Cup. In the league I played in in Auckland we had a mixed doubles night. I had also played in the men's nationals, and was supposed to play in the mixed doubles nationals too, but the person I would have played with was unable to go.

PoutineSp00nZ

Electricity is really just organized lightning.
Jul 21, 2009
Ottawa
If someone wants to get into curling, can they just show up at a rink or whatever and curl like they would go bowling?

saskriders

Can't Hold Leads
Sep 11, 2010
Calgary
A lot of clubs have learn to curl days around the Olympics. If not it would be best to rent a sheet in advance. The club should have equipment you can use, but make sure you check before booking.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad