OT: Sens Lounge XCVII: "Zorf; 21 times!" Edition

What is more satisfying?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Here I Pageau Again

Jul 4, 2012
Women's Gold medal game very reminiscent of salt Lake city game. Canada spending half the game on the pk. Yet cannot get a pp for the life of us! 8 min of pk so far only 24 min into the game.

Ok only spending 1/3 of the game on the PK! I exaggerate!

maclean

Jan 4, 2014
But I'm keeping costs under $10,000 for 100-120ppl. Which would be easy if we didn't have alcohol or didn't have to invite certain people. But it is funny, I come up with an idea, then Mike says it isn't classy enough! Like man, what do you want!?

And I'm someone who doesn't care about the dress, flowers, linens or any of that crap. I want food (hell it doesn't need to be fancy just needs to be enough) and drinks so ppl have fun.

Dang, every time I read stuff like this (or attend a wedding in Canada) I'm so glad I got married here. Just like you write, main thing is enough food and drink, and even that is usually DIY, serve-yourself. Lots of people have them outside the city at some place where there's a few rooms for families and everyone else just brings sleeping bags. Music is friends' bands or friends DJing. Canadian weddings I've been to have basically been boring as shit. Have your tried looking at like a Legion Hall? Feel like you might be able to get a more reasonable rate there...

But yeah, social happy baby makes going out relatively easy. She just sits and people watches, or if it's a place we're fairly regular at, the waitresses all steal her while we actually eat dinner. Heck, she's even got me a free beer before!

This is the best! This only happened to us once, we were in Belgrade on a kind of late semi-honeymoon and our son was like nine months and the waitress was like, Oh he's so cute, can I take him so you can eat? and we were like, uh, sure! And she just whisked him off to the kitchen and we were like, well, we may never see him again but at least we can eat a meal in peace

Well, you're not really supposed to drink the stuff.

Actually a spoonful of olive oil is recommended for many things. But, surprisingly enough, it does taste a lot like...olives.

Here I Pageau Again

Jul 4, 2012
Dang, every time I read stuff like this (or attend a wedding in Canada) I'm so glad I got married here. Just like you write, main thing is enough food and drink, and even that is usually DIY, serve-yourself. Lots of people have them outside the city at some place where there's a few rooms for families and everyone else just brings sleeping bags. Music is friends' bands or friends DJing. Canadian weddings I've been to have basically been boring as ****. Have your tried looking at like a Legion Hall? Feel like you might be able to get a more reasonable rate there.

To be honest if you didn't want drinks, it could be reasonable. Or if you lived in the country and didn't have anything around you could just throw a party. Problem is, if you want a tent or anyone complains and you don't have a permit. So you need a permit at the very least plus food and drinks. Just that alone is thousands. Its silly really! Also depends on the amount of people.

I'm checking out a place that you can rent out the whole grounds and have things like baseball, crocket, horse shoes, and all sorts of outdoor fun plus drinking, dancing and what not after. For not a horrible price. But honestly there are days I'd just like to go to the court house and get it done there. But I'd also love to have friends and family together for a party. So so hard to pick an option!

L'Aveuglette

つ ◕_◕ ༽つ
Jan 8, 2007
Montreal
My wife and I are of Italian descent, so we pretty much had no choice but to have an Italian wedding, which I was ok with. So 350 for a sit down, 8 course meal, on top of appetizers and open bar. We had mariachi singers during the meal followed by a DJ and live 7 piece band . Surf and Turf, was our main, with of course antipasto, soup. salad, pasta (2 kinds - can't have 1 lol), then the main, two desserts then midnight buffet with pizza, a sweet table that was 40 feet long, etc...my wife had a lot of, ahem, fun , planning it.

At the end of the day, we had made about $40K, and the plate costs was 88$ a plate back then, 20 years ago this August. Now, in Ottawa anyways, that type of wedding is double. If we had to pay our wedding we would have made $10K for 6 hours , pretty good, but our parents gifted us the wedding party, so they each paid their plates.

Italians don't mess around

:skeptic:

DrunkUncleDenis

Condra Fan
Mar 27, 2012
hahaha

explanation required from coladin.

I never understood the need for a big wedding ceremony. Seems like a lot of hassle and expense just to get a book of neat photos. Something small with immediate family and close friends, and a nice meal afterwards. Relaxed, small and (relatively) stress-free is the way to go.

I went to a few weddings this summer. One was on Manitoulin Island at a waterfront venue. Most laid back and enjoyable wedding I've attended. There was spaghetti and a motherf***ing taco stand for dinner. It was fantastic.

I vow to have McDoubles delivered as the midnight snack at my seemingly inevitable wedding.

Here I Pageau Again

Jul 4, 2012
I went to a few weddings this summer. One was on Manitoulin Island at a waterfront venue. Most laid back and enjoyable wedding I've attended. There was spaghetti and a mother****ing taco stand for dinner. It was fantastic.

I vow to have McDoubles delivered as the midnight snack at my seemingly inevitable wedding.

The funny thing is laid back doesn't mean inexpensive! We went to a friend's wedding that was so so much fun and super laid back! But it still ended up being a $25000 wedding.

But realistically feeding 100ppl and giving them free access to anything they want to drink is going to cost $$. Say I have 4 drinks, a salad, main course and dessert at a restaurant it would cost around $50-60. So that would be $6000 right off the bat.

Its just a matter of if you want a party you need to realize spending that money will happen.

Nac Mac Feegle

wee & free
Jun 10, 2011
Call me crazy, but I'm sure the band that sings "I'm An Adult Now" was called Pursuit of Happiness. Did I miss something?

Mingus Dew

Microphone Assassin
Oct 7, 2013
My Brooklyn pizza awakening continues.

Lucali in Carrol Gardens. Whoa boy. Had to get there an hour before opening to put my name down. When my table was ready they were quoting people 3 hour waits lol.

Nice bottle of Sicilian red to go with a perfect Neapolitan pie. Sublime.

Reactions: coladin and DrEasy
Jan 19, 2006
Calgary
So I hear this ad on the radio today selling an "IT Software and Support Package". Fair enough, I thought, you gotta do what you gotta do to make money. Until they started listing the selling points of the product.

Cloud Storage - Okay sure, that's the new hip thing these days.
24/7 call in over the phone troubleshooting for business clients - sure thing, that's pretty standard.
On site support within 2 hours during business hours - eh, that's not that bad. I know of some companies with on-site IT staff that can't make that timeframe.
100% software implementation via Adobe Flash - wait... WHAT? How the heck is Flash a selling point?

Man, what an entertaining radio ad.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad