What is more satisfying?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

PeterSidorkiewicz

HFWF Tourney Undisputed Champion
Apr 30, 2004
Lansing, MI
I'm a bad goalie/teammate. Went to a show Saturday night and was too hungover to play in our beer league game so I threw out the flu excuse, haha. A dman on our team also plays goalie so he just fills in for me on occasion.

BigRig4

Feb 22, 2014
I'm a bad goalie/teammate. Went to a show Saturday night and was too hungover to play in our beer league game so I threw out the flu excuse, haha. A dman on our team also plays goalie so he just fills in for me on occasion.

Like a true hockey player :laugh:

Caeldan

Whippet Whisperer
Jun 21, 2008
Dude, I played a 10am game the morning after my bachelor party last year.
Not sure if it was legal for me to be driving to the arena that morning but I made it, only a couple minutes late on the ice too! They scored off the offensive zone faceoff that happened as I got in net but we went on to win 4-3 and I stopped two breakaways! (probably cause I didn't react in time and they ended shooting it into my pads instead :D)

MakeOttawaGreatAgain

Illest guy in town!
Feb 28, 2007
We routinely go through 150 slides per lecture (lectures are 90 minutes, but about 15 of that is spent on YouTube videos rather than the PPT).

Our slides are generally around 40 per lecture... The unit itself will have more, but we rarely go through more than 40 in a single session. 750 is ridiculous unless it's spread out over multiple lectures... In which case, it's just a text book!

CanadianHockey

Smith - Alfie
Jul 3, 2009
Petawawa
twitter.com
Our slides are generally around 40 per lecture... The unit itself will have more, but we rarely go through more than 40 in a single session. 750 is ridiculous unless it's spread out over multiple lectures... In which case, it's just a text book!

Forty per lecture is reasonable, and what I would expect from even a Poli Sci class (haha).
The 750 slides was a review package from his first eight or so lectures. He basically deleted title slides, we think. When we complained he trimmed it to 650 slides.

750 seems excessive. How much info is on the typical slide?

Depends.

Some slides are a wall of text. Other slides are one picture to illustrate an effect (eg a slide that's just an image generated from FLIR to illustrate IIR).

Caeldan

Whippet Whisperer
Jun 21, 2008
Yeah, that's a complete misuse of PowerPoint.

As pointed out, you're basically looking at a textbook in that situation.
The courses I'm in, for a 3h lecture are usually around 60 slides and that allows for a small amount of time to actually work material out/entertain questions.

DrEasy

Out rumptackling
Oct 3, 2010
Stützville
Has any one of you guys used an orthoptist or a vision therapist? Any advice would be welcome. I'm not :confused: or anything, but with age I find it harder and harder to focus on printed stuff.

There doesn't seem to be any orthoptist in Ottawa (career opportunity!), but there's a new Vision Therapy centre. I get a bit of a "quack" vibe from it, but I could be totally off-base.

Knave

Mar 6, 2007
Ottawa
I did some cleaning this weekend and I came across some CDs - mostly music but I found this which I must have received free in a popcorn case or something(?)

A 30 minute video of some moments in hockey referencing overtime and Stanley Cup Playoff heroics.

Reactions: DrEasy

tony d

Jun 23, 2007
Behind A Tree
I've worked with powerpoint before. 750 slides is a bit excessive IMO. You should be able to get your message across in way less slides than that.

PeterSidorkiewicz

HFWF Tourney Undisputed Champion
Apr 30, 2004
Lansing, MI
Most people don’t know how to use PowerPoint and it’s incredibly frustrating. The purpose is to be a guide, there is nothing worse than sitting through a presentation where someone just reads off the slides word for word. Actually you’re not even supposed to read anything off the slides, it’s background info while you speak on the slide subject.

Reactions: DrEasy

maclean

Jan 4, 2014
Most people don’t know how to use PowerPoint and it’s incredibly frustrating. The purpose is to be a guide, there is nothing worse than sitting through a presentation where someone just reads off the slides word for word. Actually you’re not even supposed to read anything off the slides, it’s background info while you speak on the slide subject.

Yeah, the worst is listening to somebody spending ten minutes talking about something you read in the 3 seconds after the slide came up.

tony d

Jun 23, 2007
Behind A Tree
For my current job we had to give a powerpoint presentation. I had my information on the slide and used that as guide going into detail were possible with each topic point. People can read the slides for themselves, they want information from you as to what everything on the slide means.

A ? now for pet owners. My dog had surgery in November to remove a bladder stone, she got through that fine, yesterday we noticed her losing her hair and are wondering what's up? She's 8 so could it be stress from the surgery? We also recently changed her diet so we're thinking/hoping it's one or the other. She's never been what you call a well dog so anything that comes up like this we are concerned for her.

Engineer

Rustled your jimmies
Dec 23, 2013
Question for the science and engineering grads: is a Powerpoint presentation with 750 slides excessive for a first year midterm?

I had a similar class in first year engineering, about 100 slides per 50m lecture. Geology 101. Those were actually overhead slides though, not powerpoint.

The trick to that class was using the past exam database, and studying from those questions over the past 5 years, it gave you a feel of what was important and what wasn't.

Engineer

Rustled your jimmies
Dec 23, 2013

You can read cues off of the slide to keep your mind in the appropriate presentation direction, though.

After enough presentation practice a quick glance at the first two words of a bullet should be enough to remind you of what you intend to discuss

Reactions: PeterSidorkiewicz

DrEasy

Out rumptackling
Oct 3, 2010
Stützville
You can read cues off of the slide to keep your mind in the appropriate presentation direction, though.

After enough presentation practice a quick glance at the first two words of a bullet should be enough to remind you of what you intend to discuss
But then slides are used as a crutch to the presenter, and not as an illustration to the audience.

Knave

Mar 6, 2007
Ottawa
I think it depends on the context of the presentation. If it's really technical like a hard science I would want the presenter referring to the illustrations on the slides. If it's less technical then I don't mind the presenter sometimes using a brief phrase on the slide to keep things on track. I don't mind the slides being a crutch so long as they're still informative.

750 review slides and 150 per lecture is insane. I have seen 10-80 and some of these were for 3 hour lectures. 80 seemed excessive and you could tell by the 2 & 2 1/2 hour marks that the lecturer was rushing to get through it before the timeslot was up because they had fallen behind.

I guess the lecturers I had tended to minimize content on slides and talk more.

Nac Mac Feegle

wee & free
Jun 10, 2011
For my current job we had to give a powerpoint presentation. I had my information on the slide and used that as guide going into detail were possible with each topic point. People can read the slides for themselves, they want information from you as to what everything on the slide means.

A ? now for pet owners. My dog had surgery in November to remove a bladder stone, she got through that fine, yesterday we noticed her losing her hair and are wondering what's up? She's 8 so could it be stress from the surgery? We also recently changed her diet so we're thinking/hoping it's one or the other. She's never been what you call a well dog so anything that comes up like this we are concerned for her.

Did you change the food cold turkey...as in, just picking up a bag of different food and changing all at once? Not 100% sure for dogs, but for cats, they recommend mixing old and new food (assuming it's dry food) in 25/75, 50/50, 75/25 (new/old) intervals over a week to gradually switch to a new brand.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad