What is more satisfying?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Senscore

Let's keep it cold
Nov 19, 2012
In the same way Luke Skywalker was. She's just incredibly powerful in the force

The extent of Luke Skywalker's force talents in the first film is blocking two shots from a training ball after getting hit a few times, and then knowing the correct time to fire a torpedo.

In the second film, he grabs a lightsaber from a few feet away, lifts some rocks, and then deflects some debris and jumps high one time while Vader mercilessly beats his ass.

Jan 19, 2006
Calgary
The extent of Luke Skywalker's force talents in the first film is blocking two shots from a training ball after getting hit a few times, and then knowing the correct time to fire a torpedo.

In the second film, he grabs a lightsaber from a few feet away, lifts some rocks, and then deflects some debris and jumps high one time while Vader mercilessly beats his ass.

Meanwhile, Rey in the first movie, is already an expert pilot and mechanic, speaks droid and wookie fluently, can perform Jedi mind tricks with no training, and beat a trained sith in lightsaber combat.

Senscore

Let's keep it cold
Nov 19, 2012
Its a movie about space wizards and planet sized things that blow up other planets. Relax lol

This is true. And usually the only way to make that work is by creating consistent internal logic and relatable characters. That's how Game of Thrones was able to find such a wide mainstream audience appeal for a niche fantasy series with dragons, and ice demons, zombies, and incest. Martin was great at building a world with consistent internal logic (actions have, usually direct, understandable consequences) and a wide variety of believable, human characters that scores of people have openly wept for.

The original trilogy had those elements. The prequels did not. The Force Awakens has a lot of it, but as previously mentioned, there are some notable gaps in character and logic.

PoutineSp00nZ

Electricity is really just organized lightning.
Jul 21, 2009
Ottawa
This is true. And usually the only way to make that work is by creating consistent internal logic and relatable characters. That's how Game of Thrones was able to find such a wide mainstream audience appeal for a niche fantasy series with dragons, and ice demons, zombies, and incest. Martin was great at building a world with consistent internal logic (actions have, usually direct, understandable consequences) and a wide variety of believable, human characters that scores of people have openly wept for.

The original trilogy had those elements. The prequels did not. The Force Awakens has a lot of it, but as previously mentioned, there are some notable gaps in character and logic.

What I find about the new trilogy is that they kinda force stuff to propel the plot forward and jam more stuff into the movie.

All three of the original movies were smaller stories, in a way. But even they were guilty of this, with Luke suddenly becoming a bad ass between empire and jedi. Rey was just pushed forward a little faster, although they explain it away a little bit by her being even more powerful than Luke.

I dunno, there are plot holes and stuff. But Star Wars has always been pretty silly, and aren't meant to be rock solid and perfectly logical. I just try to enjoy the movies. Episodes 7 and 8 really brought out my inner kid, and I loved the f*** outa them.

Plus porgs!

Caeldan

Whippet Whisperer
Jun 21, 2008
To be fair, both websites have their locations in easily accessible places. The site you visited has the address right in the header block of the page.

So ordering a drink before you confirm the specials is on you. Anytime I go somewhere new for a specific reason, first thing I do before I get comfortable is confirm that thing is there.

BonkTastic

ಠ_ಠ
Nov 9, 2010
Parts Unknown
Is Rey still a Mary Sue?

When has any character in the Star Wars universe NOT been a Mary Sue or a Gary Stu?

You're like... 40 years late on that critique, chum.

Also, for the record: I haven't seen the movie yet. Not planning to see it until next week. I've heard the reviews are... extremely mixed so far.

PoutineSp00nZ

Jul 21, 2009
Ottawa
When has any character in the Star Wars universe NOT been a Mary Sue or a Gary Stu?

Also, for the record: I haven't seen the movie yet. Not planning to see it until next week. I've heard the reviews are... extremely mixed so far.

There is a plotline in the second act that really slows the movie down and f***s with pacing. Aside from all that I really enjoyed the movie.

PoutineSp00nZ

Jul 21, 2009
Ottawa
Its the difference between a Great Universe and a Fun Universe. Not to say Star Wars has ever been great.

Well I think the story kind of ended after Jedi. Everything since is a cash grab, but it means I get to enjoy more of my favorite shit from when I was a kid.

It is what it is. Disney will come out with a star wars movie every year until they drive it into the ground.

Reactions: Hutz

PeterSidorkiewicz

HFWF Tourney Undisputed Champion
Apr 30, 2004
Lansing, MI
Saw Star Wars today and I’m not sure what to think. I think there was like 45 minutes of a plot just to teach someone a lesson and grow as a character but yet it seemed way too long and unnecessary.

I think I need to digest it over night. I liked it but then some parts I didn’t really like.

Hutz

Sep 7, 2007
I had a test today where one of the questions was "What famous place would you recommend in your hometown?" I would've said Parliament Hill, but it was a language test and I couldn't remember the word for Parliament, so I went with the Byward market instead. Out of curiosity, though, I'll pose the question to all y'all, what would be #1?

saskriders

Can't Hold Leads
Sep 11, 2010
Calgary
I had a test today where one of the questions was "What famous place would you recommend in your hometown?" I would've said Parliament Hill, but it was a language test and I couldn't remember the word for Parliament, so I went with the Byward market instead. Out of curiosity, though, I'll pose the question to all y'all, what would be #1?

For Calgary I have if you have to stay in the city I would say Fish Creek Park. But if it counts I would say Banff/Lake Louise.

DrEasy

Out rumptackling
Oct 3, 2010
Stützville
Parlement ?

Sens of Anarchy

Jul 9, 2013
Dat place wit da big building side by each wit da river of Ottawa [no offence.. jk]

Last edited:

Hutz

Sep 7, 2007
Dat place wit da big building side by each wit da river of Ottawa

오타와강옆에있는큰건물

or something like that

(next to Ottawa river big building... I think)

edit: google translate says that's about right, yay, some of this Korean stuff is actually sticking!

Hutz

Sep 7, 2007
For Calgary I have if you have to stay in the city I would say Fish Creek Park. But if it counts I would say Banff/Lake Louise.

Yeah, really, I don't think it matters what I wrote, just if what I wrote made sense. I should have used Lake Louise just for fun. Last test I had they asked "What would you recommend from your country's traditional food?" I wrote about poutine. It was awesome!

Sens of Anarchy

Jul 9, 2013
오타와강옆에있는큰건물

or something like that

(next to Ottawa river big building... I think)

edit: google translate says that's about right, yay, some of this Korean stuff is actually sticking!

Royal Oak au coin de Bank et Mclaren could have worked as well

Hutz

Sep 7, 2007
Royal Oak au coin de Bank et Mclaren could have worked as well

I had to write a paragraph in 10 minutes. The Byward market allowed me to write about bars and beaver tails. If I have to write it again (hopefully not, knock on wood) I'll make sure to include the Royal Oak, too. I spent many a night there as well. Just for s***s: Royal Oak would be 로얄오크 in Korean

Reactions: Sens of Anarchy

Senscore

Let's keep it cold
Nov 19, 2012
Last Jedi has one of those unfortunate situations where a huge problem could have been avoided if two characters had just had a frank two minute conversation.

I find that stuff incredibly lazy.

DylanSensFan

BEESHIP: NBH
Aug 3, 2010
Calgary

Just let the force flow, and you will enjoy it.

Icelevel

During these difficult times...
Sep 9, 2009
I don't get how people can still be so excited to see Star Wars movies anymore. Unless you're a kid who doesn't know about the first 3 or hasn't seen any good movies yet.
I tried force awakens and stopped there. It was dumb. Don't plan on seeing his one. Blade runner looks good though. Will get my scifi fix with that soon.
The original movies were more about making good and original movies. New ones are about making money and doing nothing original. I'm guessing there are too many people involved now combined with the guarantee that any crap Star Wars movie will make a ton of money just makes it unlikely we see a good one for a while.
Similar to what's happened to the bond movies.

Last edited:

PoutineSp00nZ

Jul 21, 2009
Ottawa
I don't get how people can still be so excited to see Star Wars movies anymore. Unless you're a kid who doesn't know about the first 3 or hasn't seen any good movies yet.
I tried force awakens and stopped there. It was dumb. Don't plan on seeing his one. Blade runner looks good though. Will get my scifi fix with that soon.
The original movies were more about making good and original movies. New ones are about making money and doing nothing original. I'm guessing there are too many people involved now combined with the guarantee that any crap Star Wars movie will make a ton of money just makes it unlikely we see a good one for a while.
Similar to what's happened to the bond movies.

Cause it's star wars!

Blade runner is awesome too, saw in the theatre. Evidently I was one of the few to do so.

Villeneuve nailed the pace and feel of the original, it was like a prime Ridley Scot. Solid flick all around, that Villeneuve is one hell of a director

BonkTastic

ಠ_ಠ
Nov 9, 2010
Parts Unknown
I don't get how people can still be so excited to see Star Wars movies anymore.

Mostly because human beings have a wide and diverse range of tastes.

I don't get how people can do literally hundreds of things that I either don't like or don't derive any enjoyment from. Things like "personal tastes in movies" is so far down that list that it's statistically irrelevant.

Reactions: BondraTime

PeterSidorkiewicz

HFWF Tourney Undisputed Champion
Apr 30, 2004
Lansing, MI
Last Jedi has one of those unfortunate situations where a huge problem could have been avoided if two characters had just had a frank two minute conversation.

I find that stuff incredibly lazy.

Ha I said the same thing when the movie just ended but I said ten minutes instead. I don’t mind long movies though so I wasn’t bothered too much. I think overall I liked it.

I view these movies as popcorn entertainment and try not to over analyze them though.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad