OT: Sens Lounge XCV: Music Mourning Edition

Status
Not open for further replies.

saskriders

Can't Hold Leads
Sep 11, 2010
Calgary
I mean, show him your case, and be done with it.

You always seem so caught up in what others do/say.

If he's going down whatever road that is and you feel it's not for you, move on. Thinking of yourself as a "sexless loser" seems pretty silly to me, and just invites bad/negative feelings.

I'm not sure what anti-feminism is, or The Red Pill, but if you feel so strongly against it, just move on.

You seem to be down on yourself to much man. You've done a lot of things and been on a lot of adventures for a guy your age (I'm guessing 21-23 give or take). I'm 28 and would love to have had the adventures you've been on recently.

Hard not to feel that way when society and media makes portrays people with my problem as people to laugh at. I have even seen guys on the politics board describe Nazis and White Supremacists with that and similar terms. It isn't nice to see terms that describe part of my life be used to describe Nazis. And it isn't easy to not have your needs met. It is a struggle, and anger is a natural reaction so I can see why people get angry at others. I just don't want to see a friend get involved in such hate.

Fandlauer

Apr 23, 2013
Ottawa unless it becomes a disaster
Hard not to feel that way when society and media makes portrays people with my problem as people to laugh at. I have even seen guys on the politics board describe Nazis and White Supremacists with that and similar terms. It isn't nice to see terms that describe part of my life be used to describe Nazis. And it isn't easy to not have your needs met. It is a struggle, and anger is a natural reaction so I can see why people get angry at others. I just don't want to see a friend get involved in such hate.

HFboards politics is a wasteland man. It's OK for some laughs, but it's generally the same 15-20 angry characters screaming at each other in circles. I wouldn't pay too much attention to opinions over there.

Jan 19, 2006
Calgary
Have you even seen The Red Pill documentary?

It's remarkably unbiased and well produced, though you would never know if you only followed the media coverage of it.

Benjamin

Differently Financed
Jun 14, 2010
yes
I have a friend that seems to be slipping into anti-feminist thought and I don't know how to convince him what he reads/believes is wrong. Does anyone have any advice?

Is it wrong if you can't explain why its wrong? Keep in mind that feminism =/= women.

Deku

I'm off the planet
Nov 5, 2011
Ottawa
Saying stuff like "women lie and accuse guys of rape if the sex was bad" is wrong.

I mean, in some cases that could happen. False rape claims are a real issue, although I don't think I've heard of a case where that was the specific reason.
If he's generalizing most rape claims to be like that - that's dumb.

Senscore

Let's keep it cold
Nov 19, 2012
Some interesting subjects lately.

1. Do not be afraid to watch a movie. I have not seen that film in question (The Red Pill) but from what people who have seem to be saying, it's relatively benign. I mean, I watched Triumph of the Will in high school and despite the news fervor of late, I'm pretty confident I'm not a Nazi.

2. If anyone is looking for sad music, check out A Crow Looked at Me by Mount Eerie. Mount Eerie is a solo project by Phil Elverum, whose wife sadly died of cancer last year. The album is a collection of his thoughts and experiences through music and dear lord it will absolutely wreck you.

[Yt]tPzkNS4rits[/MEDIA]

Aaaand here's the entire album.

Do Make Say Think

& Yet & Yet
Jun 26, 2007
I know it's a sensitive topic but what does everybody else feel/think about women "raping" men?

Is it possible? If it is, should we have a different word for it?

I have been confronted with a situation that touches on the topic and I am utterly confused.

This might not be the place or the time however. Mods do your thing if you feel you ought to.

Senscore

Let's keep it cold
Nov 19, 2012
I know it's a sensitive topic but what does everybody else feel/think about women "raping" men?

I have been confronted with a situation that touches on the topic and I am utterly confused.

This might not be the place or the time however. Mods do your thing if you feel you ought to.

It absolutely is possible. The mechanics of it may be different but it's just as vile an act no matter who is doing it.

Mingus Dew

Microphone Assassin
Oct 7, 2013
It absolutely is possible. The mechanics of it may be different but it's just as vile an act no matter who is doing it.

Pretty much.

From a technical standpoint we've moved passed the old definitions of rape that required penetration. At this point we recognize sexual assault as being about power and not about sex per se.

According to the modern view a man can absolutely be raped.

Nac Mac Feegle

wee & free
Jun 10, 2011

Of course. Human rights belong to all humans. All humans can potentially be victims, and all humans can potentially be the aggressor.

It would make for an interesting case study to see what rights a male would have if he was raped and fathered a child from the encounter.

Mingus Dew

Microphone Assassin
Oct 7, 2013
Well my 3 weeks in Japan are up. Capped things off with a moderately pricey omakase sushi meal at what might be the smallest restaurant in Osaka. One of my most memorable meals ever.

Now onto Thailand!

Here I Pageau Again

Jul 4, 2012

Definitely possible although I think more rare.

But anyone taking advantage of another person in any way sexually is bad. If you don't have consent to do something, don't ****ing do it! If someone says no (even if initially they said yes) stop!

It's just freaking common sense.

This all being said, I'm probably an anti feminist with this type of thing from women. Not saying that men should ever take advantage but as a female we can sometimes over flirt and over sexualize things which can send the wrong message because we want to feel beautiful and it seems sex is how that is done.

For me, women need to learn to stick up for themselves, be confident in who they are and not depend on a males approval to feel that way. And as men, we need to respect a women's right to change their mind and stop taking advantage of inebriated females. (This goes vice versa if men are the ones being taken advantage of).

CanadianHockey

Smith - Alfie
Jul 3, 2009
Petawawa
twitter.com

I've had two friends who both say they have been raped, both of them by their girlfriends. Neither of them wanted to have sex, but their partners basically hopped on and didn't give them an option. In their cases, it wasn't that they were physically restrained by their partners, they were emotionally restrained - not wanting to hurt their relationships. Neither of those relationships lasted much longer after those incidents.

The second guy was actually of the opinion that guys couldn't get raped, even after I told him about my first friend's story. He basically argued it wasn't rape, cause the dude is stronger and can push the girl off if he really wanted to... a few months later he came into work and told me he changed his mind, he had been raped the night before.

So, yeah, I do think men can be raped, for the reasons Mingus lists. A woman can get a dude to have sex against his will through emotional or psychological coercion.

saskriders

Can't Hold Leads
Sep 11, 2010
Calgary
Bangkok and Koh Phi Phi.

Ok. I didn't go to the south so I can't say much about Koh Phi Phi. How long are you in Bangkok? Where are you staying? I think my hostel was on Silom Road or something like that. Do you have any plans while you are in the city?

Mingus Dew

Microphone Assassin
Oct 7, 2013
Ok. I didn't go to the south so I can't say much about Koh Phi Phi. How long are you in Bangkok? Where are you staying? I think my hostel was on Silom Road or something like that. Do you have any plans while you are in the city?

I'm at Mad Monkey near Khao Son. I'm with a friend so we are just gonna explore, eat street food and probably make bad decisions in the evenings.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad