OT: Sens Lounge XCV: Music Mourning Edition

Status
Not open for further replies.

tony d

Jun 23, 2007
Behind A Tree
Thought I caught a brief glimpse of it yesterday. I believe the 1 in 2024 is supposed to be more visible in this area so there you go.

DrunkUncleDenis

Condra Fan
Mar 27, 2012
You mean where the sun gets eclipsed by a moon that gets eclipsed by another.... and another?

giphy.gif

maclean

Jan 4, 2014
I need to get motivated and start working out again.

Come on you slug, you piece of ****, you girlyboy!!!!

I've been slacking off recently too, and yesterday my 8-year-old son told me he was going to start doing 50 pushups every day (spread over the coarse of the day), which kind of threw a shame coal on the fire

Here I Pageau Again

Jul 4, 2012
I need to get motivated and start working out again.

Ahhh yes, after 9 months of doing nothing (for me)... I suspect it isn't going to be easy getting motivated and working out again!

Good luck!

I have filled my freezer with mostly healthy meals though... so that is a win!

Caeldan

Whippet Whisperer
Jun 21, 2008
Ahhh yes, after 9 months of doing nothing (for me)... I suspect it isn't going to be easy getting motivated and working out again!

Good luck!

I have filled my freezer with mostly healthy meals though... so that is a win!

How much longer until your due date now?
Baby is starting to get a bit colicky... it's definitely a touch frustrating to lay her down and 5 minutes later she's crying again ><
And then it'll take nearly an hour to get her to actually sleep for 2.

Here I Pageau Again

Jul 4, 2012
How much longer until your due date now?
Baby is starting to get a bit colicky... it's definitely a touch frustrating to lay her down and 5 minutes later she's crying again ><
And then it'll take nearly an hour to get her to actually sleep for 2.

I've got 2 weeks left... so I'm hoping any day now! Only because I'm all ready to meet this little one... I actually feel the best now so that's not the issue (although harder to get up these days). And I've finally gotten to enjoy my time off (I spent the first 10 days off work in hospital).

Good luck with the colicky little one. Look into probiotics as they help baby digest better (making them less colicky). Burp lots and lay the baby on their back and bicycle their legs (makes them fart getting rid of gas) when they are really extra cranky. And you can also try to have them sleep somewhat upright (at like a 45 degree angle) if they have reflux or throw up lots. (If you haven't been already because they can help sometimes)

Then there are meds if it is a big issue for baby or they throw up constantly.

Last edited:

Caeldan

Whippet Whisperer
Jun 21, 2008
I've got 2 weeks left... so I'm hoping any day now! Only because I'm all ready to meet this little one... I actually feel the best now so that's not the issue (although harder to get up these days). And I've finally gotten to enjoy my time off (I spent the first 10 days off work in hospital).

Good luck with the colicky little one. Look into probiotics as they help baby digest better (making them less colicky). Burp lots and lay the baby on their back and bicycle their legs (makes them fart getting rid of gas) when they are really extra cranky. And you can also try to have them sleep somewhat upright (at like a 45 degree angle) if they have reflux or throw up lots.

Then there are meds if it is a big issue for baby or they throw up constantly.

Yeah, we're 100% breast feeding at the moment, so the probiotics bit should be covered. Definitely trying more burping/upright time than we have been based on suggestions from friends with babies (has varying degrees of success to this point). And yeah the leg bicycle thing, doing a little bit but sometimes she just gets cranky and resists lol.

Sometimes I swear though, she ends up spitting up... has some taste of the milk on her lips... then starts to try to eat again what she's just spit up and gets more upset that she can't.

Haven't had much luck yet too in trying to clean her nose, and I wonder if that might be part of it. Because she still sounds very mucusy/congested... but everything I've read about to this point is that it's relatively normal for breastfeeding, and when mentioned to midwife they haven't been concerned yet either.

We see them tomorrow though, so can ask about it. Also going to meet with our GP on Thursday.

MakeOttawaGreatAgain

Illest guy in town!
Feb 28, 2007
Not true. Jupiter gets eclipses way more often than we do, as they have 4 moons large enough to produce full occultations.

I think other gas giants also get eclipses with their own moon(s), though it helps that the sun is much smaller in their "sky" as it is in ours.

Well, i guess metro Vancouver news is...

Fake news

Edit, here was the article http://m.metronews.ca/#/article/news/vancouver/2017/08/20/solar-eclipse-vancouver-tips.html

In fact, Earth is the only place in the solar system one could see a solar eclipse. The planet is unique because it sits at the right distance between the sun and moon to offer solar eclipses, according to UBC professor, Jaymie Matthews .

Moral of the story, don't take classes with Dr. Matthews!

Last edited:

Here I Pageau Again

Jul 4, 2012
Yeah, we're 100% breast feeding at the moment, so the probiotics bit should be covered. Definitely trying more burping/upright time than we have been based on suggestions from friends with babies (has varying degrees of success to this point). And yeah the leg bicycle thing, doing a little bit but sometimes she just gets cranky and resists lol.

Sometimes I swear though, she ends up spitting up... has some taste of the milk on her lips... then starts to try to eat again what she's just spit up and gets more upset that she can't.

Haven't had much luck yet too in trying to clean her nose, and I wonder if that might be part of it. Because she still sounds very mucusy/congested... but everything I've read about to this point is that it's relatively normal for breastfeeding, and when mentioned to midwife they haven't been concerned yet either.

We see them tomorrow though, so can ask about it. Also going to meet with our GP on Thursday.

Do you have one of those nose suckers that you suck one end? Apparently those are life savers (I wouldn't know).

And on the probiotics side, even breast fed kids can benefit from it. My friends little one is purely breastfed and needed them for the first 3 months and has been slowly weaned off now that he's bigger.

But generally breastfed babies take a bit to sleep well over formula fed kids which can be super irritating! And exhausting! So it isn't odd sounding and honestly as long as babies are gaining weight and peeing well, no health care professional is going to be too concerned about crankiness or spit up.

Caeldan

Whippet Whisperer
Jun 21, 2008
Oh she's definitely peeing plenty!
We do have a snot sucker bulb thing but doesn't seem to work well for her.
Looking at buying a different one now to see if that'd help at all.

Amazon though is definitely best place for diapers and wipes, especially with Prime subscription and the subscribe&save monthly shipment feature.

Here I Pageau Again

Jul 4, 2012
Oh she's definitely peeing plenty!
We do have a snot sucker bulb thing but doesn't seem to work well for her.
Looking at buying a different one now to see if that'd help at all.

Amazon though is definitely best place for diapers and wipes, especially with Prime subscription and the subscribe&save monthly shipment feature.

Yup! I already priced out baby items and amazon was always the best deal. Plus I can order and it shows up the next day at the latest! And I invested in a prime membership. But I love amazon for pretty much anything! They have awesome customer service and they deliver at hilarious times (I've gotten things at 745am on a Sunday and Tuesday at 10pm - they called me at 915 to ensure I'd be home and awake).

Apparently the Nose Frieda (I think?) is the best thing. Just stick it in there and suck out the crap with your own mouth (sounds gross but it has a valve that stops the gunk from actually going to your mouth).

Caeldan

Whippet Whisperer
Jun 21, 2008
Yup! I already priced out baby items and amazon was always the best deal. Plus I can order and it shows up the next day at the latest! And I invested in a prime membership. But I love amazon for pretty much anything! They have awesome customer service and they deliver at hilarious times (I've gotten things at 745am on a Sunday and Tuesday at 10pm - they called me at 915 to ensure I'd be home and awake).

Apparently the Nose Frieda (I think?) is the best thing. Just stick it in there and suck out the crap with your own mouth (sounds gross but it has a valve that stops the gunk from actually going to your mouth).

Yeah, unfortunately that's like, the one baby thing that they DONT have on Amazon. Which means a trip to babys r us.

But seriously, I've been home for like 2 hours today and the only time she hasn't been crying is when she's being fed... when she's catching her breath from crying so much... and for the occasional respite of 5-10 minutes I can manage to get out of her.
I'm actually worried she's going to herniate her belly button or something because it pops out and gets really red when she's crying so much.

Here I Pageau Again

Jul 4, 2012
Yeah, unfortunately that's like, the one baby thing that they DONT have on Amazon. Which means a trip to babys r us.

But seriously, I've been home for like 2 hours today and the only time she hasn't been crying is when she's being fed... when she's catching her breath from crying so much... and for the occasional respite of 5-10 minutes I can manage to get out of her.
I'm actually worried she's going to herniate her belly button or something because it pops out and gets really red when she's crying so much.

She really won't. So don't worry about that. A healthy child won't do any damage (beyond maybe popping some vessels) from crying.

But that sucks! That's a lot of crying. I don't have a whole lot of advise beyond attempting to see what she likes (firm patting, swinging, bouncing, different holds). Babies can be finicky. My friends my whole life have always told me I'm the baby whisperer and now I joke that my baby will be the one that just won't calm down and will cry constantly.

So good luck and hopefully this doesn't last too long!

Caeldan

Whippet Whisperer
Jun 21, 2008
She really won't. So don't worry about that. A healthy child won't do any damage (beyond maybe popping some vessels) from crying.

But that sucks! That's a lot of crying. I don't have a whole lot of advise beyond attempting to see what she likes (firm patting, swinging, bouncing, different holds). Babies can be finicky. My friends my whole life have always told me I'm the baby whisperer and now I joke that my baby will be the one that just won't calm down and will cry constantly.

So good luck and hopefully this doesn't last too long!

Finally got her to sleep by driving in the car for half an hour. Now scared to transfer her from car seat to crib

Nac Mac Feegle

wee & free
Jun 10, 2011
Finally got her to sleep by driving in the car for half an hour. Now scared to transfer her from car seat to crib

That seems to be universal for babies....somehow, a drive in the car always puts them to sleep.

I wonder, if some sort of low motion seat/cradle + white noise in the background might be a substitute for a trip in the car?

Here I Pageau Again

Jul 4, 2012
That seems to be universal for babies....somehow, a drive in the car always puts them to sleep.

I wonder, if some sort of low motion seat/cradle + white noise in the background might be a substitute for a trip in the car?

My friends baby looses her **** in the car. I was the same as a baby (but I get incredibly motion sick).

And really if your baby is only sleeping 2 hrs at max; leave her in the carseat.

I am enjoying the last days without a baby... so we saw Al Gores new movie on global warming.

tony d

Jun 23, 2007
Behind A Tree
Think it's different for different kids. My sister and her family recently flew back to Edmonton from here in Newfoundland. 2 of her kids (A 7 year old and a 10 month old were fine on the plane) but the other child (Also 10 months old) didn't like the plane at all. So travel is different for different kids.

BonkTastic

ಠ_ಠ
Nov 9, 2010
Parts Unknown

My kids LOVED these things:

9abc83706192eb8536bdf4467bd1decb--baby-swings-and-bouncers-fisher-price.jpg

My son is almost 11 now, and if he could still sit in one of these 20 hours a day, he probably would.

Caeldan

Whippet Whisperer
Jun 21, 2008
We got one of those, hasn't quite seemed to work for her yet unfortunately :(

Here I Pageau Again

Jul 4, 2012
We always use those cheap vibrating chairs (the sling ones) at work... most kids love them. Especially if you also bounce the chair extra or firmly pat their back while in it.

That said, all kids are different and some are just cranky to start out and once they grow a bit they are generally happier. Maybe the doc will have some insight today!

Here I Pageau Again

Jul 4, 2012
Adults, too. :laugh:

Haha so true (maybe even more so than kids)! I know I haven't been the nicest adult the last little while.

My bf was saying how he just wanted to go back in time to April so he could get summer again... then i laughed and said are you sure about that?? Looks at my belly and was like... Nevermind you were cranky!

Caeldan

Whippet Whisperer
Jun 21, 2008
Yeah, I think some of this is karma for how simple a pregnancy we had :laugh:
Though it's funny, she's only fussy for the most part when it's just the two of us.
Any time we have friends or family visit she's a perfect angel.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad