OT: Sens Lounge XCV: Music Mourning Edition

Status
Not open for further replies.

Nac Mac Feegle

wee & free
Jun 10, 2011
Anybody catching any of this Trump / Charlottesville stuff.... :shakehead

What a loose cannon that guy is.

Yeah. I only head over to the political boards when something big (re: bad) happens in society. I've been spending waaaaay too much time lurking over there over the past 10 months. :(

I'm really not liking the direction this planet is going. It's getting really scary out there.

Mingus Dew

Microphone Assassin
Oct 7, 2013
I was on a group tour in Southeast Asia so they drove us there. I remember seeing signs though advertising day trips. The train stops there as well.

Dope man thanks for the heads up. I'll see how hard it is to get there by train. Worst case scenario I can potentially arrange something with the hostel.

Here I Pageau Again

Jul 4, 2012
Yeah. I only head over to the political boards when something big (re: bad) happens in society. I've been spending waaaaay too much time lurking over there over the past 10 months. :(

I'm really not liking the direction this planet is going. It's getting really scary out there.

You know too much **** is happening when SNL does a summer version of the weekend update!

The Lewler

GOAT BUDGET AINEC
Jul 2, 2013
Eastern Ontario Badlands

Don't be.

It's the same as it's always been.

Life is much better than it ever has been in recorded history for almost everyone.

US system is built for gridlock so not much will happen there one way or another.

There have always been strongmen dictators threatening people, and there has always been murderous d-bags of all walks of life.

Nac Mac Feegle

wee & free
Jun 10, 2011
Don't be.

Life is much better than it ever has been in recorded history for almost everyone.

US system is built for gridlock so not much will happen there one way or another.

There have always been strongmen dictators threatening people, and there has always been murderous d-bags of all walks of life.

That's what some folks say....but it doesn't stop a worrier from worrying.

Here I Pageau Again

Jul 4, 2012
Don't be.

The biggest issue now is media..we hear things from everywhere so it's harder to be ignorant to anything outside of the immediate city you live in.

I mean statistically in Toronto violence is down from 20 years ago (although it wouldn't seem like it... and it actually went up for the first time in 20 years this past year). But when you hear on the news every day that someone was shot or stabbed... it can feel like it is all around us!

BonkTastic

ಠ_ಠ
Nov 9, 2010
Parts Unknown
Good Vibrations isn't on Pet Sounds. I think it was recorded during the Pet Sounds sessions but it only came out as a single.

Yeah, I was referring to the Pet Sound sessions, which Good Vibrations absolutely was a part of.

Everything Brian Wilson did during those recordings was so ahead of what everyone else was doing at the time.

Micklebot

Apr 27, 2010
MOD: Please keep the politics talk to the politics board

I know there's some interesting stuff going on down south (and here for that matter), and it's worthy of discussion, but the sens board and this thread in particular isn't the place to do it.

aragorn

Do The Right Thing
Aug 8, 2004
Anybody catching any of this Trump / Charlottesville stuff.... :shakehead

What a loose cannon that guy is.

I have friends that live in Charlottesville, beautiful little University town. And now it has this black eye hanging over it because of a bunch of idiots.

"All we are saying, is give peace a chance".

Here I Pageau Again

Jul 4, 2012
Ok I'll try some more mundane things.

#1: Solar Eclipse!

#2. I picked up MLB 17 The Show for cheap, it's super good. Makes NHL 17 look like the garbage it is.

Went out for lunch in the park with friends for the Eclipse... made our own little viewing boxes because we are nerds. But it was cool and I got ice-cream which is a problem of mine these days!

Although in elementary school we did the same thing with the full eclipse which was WAY cooler!

Caeldan

Whippet Whisperer
Jun 21, 2008
April 8, 2024 we get a total eclipse HIPA.
Mark your calendar!

Last edited:

Nac Mac Feegle

wee & free
Jun 10, 2011
At least these days schools are a bit smarter regarding eclipses. Back when I was a kid (around 1979/1980, iirc??) the teachers simply told us "not to look up," then sent us outside (can't remember if it was recess or lunch break) a few minutes later. Most of the kids went outside and immediately looked towards the sky to find what we weren't supposed to look at.

OmniSens

@OmniSenators
Sep 22, 2008
Ottawa
Ok I'll try some more mundane things.

#1: Solar Eclipse!

#2. I picked up MLB 17 The Show for cheap, it's super good. Makes NHL 17 look like the garbage it is.

I hear MBL The Show is an amazing game.

As for the Eclipse, I was disappointed. But, that's my fault.

Here I Pageau Again

Jul 4, 2012
At least these days schools are a bit smarter regarding eclipses. Back when I was a kid (around 1979/1980, iirc??) the teachers simply told us "not to look up," then sent us outside (can't remember if it was recess or lunch break) a few minutes later. Most of the kids went outside and immediately looked towards the sky to find what we weren't supposed to look at.

We made those boxes and looked through those but it was in the 90s.

And Caeldan... I will mark it down!

MakeOttawaGreatAgain

Illest guy in town!
Feb 28, 2007
I just put on 5 pairs of sunglasses, then some guy gave me welding glass to look through and it was way better. Really cool!

I read in the paper that Earth is the only planet that gets a total solar eclipse because our moon is just miraculously the perfect size in comparison to the sun and distance between us and the sun. I already typed that out so I won't bother fact checking, but cool if it's true!

BonkTastic

ಠ_ಠ
Nov 9, 2010
Parts Unknown
I read in the paper that Earth is the only planet that gets a total solar eclipse

Not true. Jupiter gets eclipses way more often than we do, as they have 4 moons large enough to produce full occultations.

I think other gas giants also get eclipses with their own moon(s), though it helps that the sun is much smaller in their "sky" as it is in ours.

maclean

Jan 4, 2014

I remember recess being cancelled and the blinds being drawn so none of us would have a chance to experience anything. Felt like kind of a ripoff. The next solar eclipse I experienced after the forbidden school ones was just a couple years ago (here in Europe). I think it might've been only partial but it didn't matter because I was in London at the time and the whole day was so overcast that it was only really imperceptibly dimmer.

saskriders

Can't Hold Leads
Sep 11, 2010
Calgary
Not true. Jupiter gets eclipses way more often than we do, as they have 4 moons large enough to produce full occultations.

I think other gas giants also get eclipses with their own moon(s), though it helps that the sun is much smaller in their "sky" as it is in ours.

Do any of the planets with multiple moons ever get "double eclipses", "triple eclipses", "quadruple eclipses" etc.?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->