OT: Sens Lounge LXXIII | Yeah, I'm still here.

Status
Not open for further replies.

BonkTastic

ಠ_ಠ
Nov 9, 2010
Parts Unknown
Actually, now that I've read the Russian statements, it looks like they are prepared to integrate the Crimea into the Russian federation if the Crimea chooses to join Russia.

Russia has wanted a "mainland" warm-water port in Europe forever.

It's why they backed Syria. It's why they're in Crimea.

If Ukraine breaks 100% free from Russian interests, Russia loses it's only warm-water port in Sevastopol, which they are currently "borrowing" from Ukraine... it's not technically Russian land. Losing access to that port is CRIPPLING for Russia. Without that naval base, it can be said that Russia would no longer be regarded as a world military superpower, and they would lose a TON of face internationally, at least as far as their "strength" is concerned.

Last edited:

Quo

Mar 22, 2012
Hamsterdam
Not hearing the port angle as a central point anywhere else but it's an interesting one. Certainly part of the whole picture given the large presence of the Russian Navy in Sevastopol.

WaPo with some history of the region...

http://www.washingtonpost.com/blogs.../?Post+generic=?tid=sm_twitter_washingtonpost

Interesting that the Russian attitude towards self-determination and non-intervention in Syria is turned on its head when a Slavic speaking nation is involved. To be expected given its history I suppose.

saskriders

Can't Hold Leads
Sep 11, 2010
Calgary
Ugh, now that Wier is playing I am so undecided on who to get on my heritage classic jersey

Thinking:

MacArthur
Smith
Wiercioch
Ceci
Turris

And being the best, or most likely to stay isn't seen as a plus by me.

Maybe how they play today will impact my choice

FolignoQuantumLeap

Don't Hold The Door
Mar 16, 2009
Ottawa
I've spent quite a bit of time with Donkey Kong now. Everybody keepS talking about how hard Dark Souls is, but this game is crazy. I haven't played such a challenging game in a while. Cranky Kong is kinda OP though.

Anyways, the controls are super tight and it looks great. It's a throwback and true to Donkey Kong Country and introduces enough of its own fresh take to be interesting. Glad I bought it, I still haven't even played the co op which seems to be the main selling point.

Can't wait for Titanfall though. I can't even play Battlefield anymore after being exposed to it.

Deku

I'm off the planet
Nov 5, 2011
Ottawa
Ugh, now that Wier is playing I am so undecided on who to get on my heritage classic jersey

Thinking:

MacArthur
Smith
Wiercioch
Ceci
Turris

And being the best, or most likely to stay isn't seen as a plus by me.

Maybe how they play today will impact my choice

Ceci played well.
And is also likely to stay even though you said that doesn't matter.

Deku

I'm off the planet
Nov 5, 2011
Ottawa
Maybe you should get a center then.

At some point I plan on getting my Heritage Classic jersey customized to have Turris on the back. Maybe Ryan if he sticks around.

saskriders

Can't Hold Leads
Sep 11, 2010
Calgary
That's why I was leaning towards Smith

I still like Wier and MacArthur a lot too though.

I think I am between those two

saskriders

Can't Hold Leads
Sep 11, 2010
Calgary
Does anyone know a way to jump to picture numbers in the photo gallery of a game recap on the Sens site?

I am looking for a new avatar of Greening scoring the empty netter, but I can only go 1 picture at a time, there are 194, and all the early ones are just fans

Deku

I'm off the planet
Nov 5, 2011
Ottawa
Does anyone know a way to jump to picture numbers in the photo gallery of a game recap on the Sens site?

I am looking for a new avatar of Greening scoring the empty netter, but I can only go 1 picture at a time, there are 194, and all the early ones are just fans

I dug through all of them and didn't see any of the ENG.

Quo

Mar 22, 2012
Hamsterdam
UofO student union spat, makes the Citizen:

http://www.ottawacitizen.com/Studen...udent+federation+president/9569152/story.html

Students quit U of O board after making sex comments about student federation president

By Robin Levinson and Michael Woods, Ottawa Citizen March 2, 2014 5:44 PM

OTTAWA — Four University of Ottawa student politicians have resigned after the school’s student federation president spoke out against sexually graphic messages exchanged about her by male students.

Anne-Marie Roy, 24, said she felt “shocked and a little nauseous” after receiving a copy of a Facebook conversation between fellow student politicians last month via an anonymous email.

The conversation detailed sexual acts the men wrote they would like to engage in with her and suggested she had sexually transmitted diseases.

As described earlier, ugly.

mat_sens

@mat_sens #lalala
Jan 22, 2007
Ottawa
Why would they have to apologize if they were talking in private messages. Have you ever talked to one of your buddy on facebook and said ''oohh I'd definitely do her'' or something similar?

I don't know all the exact details surrounding this incident, but if it was said in a private message I don't really put all of the blame on them. I agree it's not the smartest things to say, but it's not an unusual behaviour.

For all we know, that anonymous emailer might have been a close friend of theirs.

YouGotAStuGoing

Mar 26, 2010
Ottawa, Ontario
for what? Being idiots? You cannot sue someone because you are an idiot.

The usual schlock. Freedom of privacy, disclosing private communication in a public venue... frankly, I'd be too ashamed to even think of the word "litigate." I don't usually buy into how much of a hot button issue **** culture has become, but this is clearly crossing a line in a big way.

Quo

Mar 22, 2012
Hamsterdam
Three of them have yet to meet with Roy and apologize in person; they are still considering litigation.

I understand that Roy was in shock at the nature of the comments but she may be in trouble distributing the comments everywhere given their "private" nature.

By the same token, not sure if anywhere on the internet can really be considered private. What I recall from defamation law is that if only one other person sees it, all bets are off.

What takes place legally from there is a value judgement by the courts; right to privacy vs. public need to know. I'd be on Roy's side in that one but courts would have more info. It may come to nothing.

I won't say that I've been in that position where somebody has passed along private facebook convos, "slipped under my door" so to speak, but if I was I'd look for other forms of recourse.

Student union's seem to be a vortex of over-inflated ego's and stupidity. Makes good copy.

Last edited:

CanadianHockey

Smith - Alfie
Jul 3, 2009
Petawawa
twitter.com
Why would they have to apologize if they were talking in private messages. Have you ever talked to one of your buddy on facebook and said ''oohh I'd definitely do her'' or something similar?

I don't know all the exact details surrounding this incident, but if it was said in a private message I don't really put all of the blame on them. I agree it's not the smartest things to say, but it's not an unusual behaviour.

For all we know, that anonymous emailer might have been a close friend of theirs.

It was worse than 'I'd tap that.' More along the lines of I'd punish.

I agree it isn't unusual behavior, particularly for twenty somethings at a university. However, they're supposed to work with Roy in a public capacity and represent the students. The fact that it leaked to Roy herself indicates it wasn't the most private conversation before Roy announced it.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad