Pre-Game Talk: SENS in old Montreal, Wednesday 7:30pm on SporstNet

BondraTime

Nov 20, 2005
East Coast
He has had the chance, he just hasn't seized it. You think he came out vs NY because Boucher just wants to toy with the kid? The only reason he has been called up is out of necessity.
I'm pretty sure (as all the TSN guys also did) people are questioning Boucher's scratching of him in general.

Boucher has ALWAYS (Even in D-Ville with 16 year old 1sts) been against playing young guys, no matter who they are.

It sounds stupid not dressing Chabot when you look at our scoring woes, and it looks even more stupid using hindsight.

Chabot is in the line-up game in, game out for 95% other teams in this league. A team with 1 puck mover who is playing at 50% should be a given.

Karl Prime

Feb 13, 2017
This has to be the worst stretch of offensive hockey the Sens have played in a very, very long time.

Ugh.

Korpse

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 5, 2010
I'm pretty sure (as all the TSN guys also did) people are questioning Boucher's scratching of him in general.

Boucher has ALWAYS (Even in D-Ville with 16 year old 1sts) been against playing young guys, no matter who they are.

It sounds stupid not dressing Chabot when you look at our scoring woes, and it looks even more stupid using hindsight.

Chabot is in the line-up game in, game out for 95% other teams in this league. A team with 1 puck mover who is playing at 50% should be a given.

Most coaches are until those player earn their trust, it's really not a problem limited to Boucher. You can go to just about any board with a team that isn't expected to be at the bottom of the league and they all have the same complaints about their team. I'm not against Chabot drawing in, it's the nonsense that he is better than everyone else.

JoeSakic

Aug 15, 2006
I don't post much anymore for many reasons but I have to tonight.

You CAN NOT win consistently in today's NHL without having a mix of youth and veterans in your line up. For some reason this coach will not give youth the freedom to do what it naturally has to do to grow...make mistakes.

If you're a young player and you know any mistake you make is going to cost you ice time you're f'd. You can't let instincts take over because you over think everything.

Duchene is being crucified here because he has 1 goal and is -10. I'm not sure how we can expect him to settle into the team when he isn't afforded the opportunity to grow chemistry with line mates. Hell I don't know how any of these guys can be successful when the coach changes lines every shift.

Guy show us that you have learned what failed you in Tampa. When your system isn't working - CHANGE/TWEAK THE SYSTEM. Moving guys around and insisting they continue to play the same system doesn't address the flaws of the Fn system.

The best coaches take what their rosters offer them and adjust the systems to make it work within its personnel. Not here...not Guy. Square pegs have to fit into my rounded system.

Lunacy.

BondraTime

Nov 20, 2005
East Coast
Most coaches are until those player earn their trust, it's really not a problem limited to Boucher. You can go to just about any board with a team that isn't expected to be at the bottom of the league and they all have the same complaints about there team. I'm not against Chabot drawing in, it's the nonsense that he is better than everyone else.
I have 0 doubts he's better than Harpur and Oduya, and he should be a given for PP1 (should be an obvious move one would think).

Scoring problems? Keep the 2nd best offensive D in the pressbox...

Boud

Dec 27, 2011
I have 0 doubts he's better than Harpur and Oduya, and he should be a given for PP1 (should be an obvious move
one would think).

Offensively he's easily better than anyone not named Karlsson and right now... It's probably close. Closer than I'd like it to be anyways.

L'Aveuglette

つ ◕_◕ ༽つ
Jan 8, 2007
Montreal
I don't post much anymore for many reasons but I have to tonight.

You CAN NOT win consistently in today's NHL without having a mix of youth and veterans in your line up. For some reason this coach will not give youth the freedom to do what it naturally has to do to grow...make mistakes.

If you're a young player and you know any mistake you make is going to cost you ice time you're f'd. You can't let instincts take over because you over think everything.

Duchene is being crucified here because he has 1 goal and is -10. I'm not sure how we can expect him to settle into the team when he isn't afforded the opportunity to grow chemistry with line mates. Hell I don't know how any of these guys can be successful when the coach changes lines every shift.

Guy show us that you have learned what failed you in Tampa. When your system isn't working - CHANGE/TWEAK THE SYSTEM. Moving guys around and insisting they continue to play the same system doesn't address the flaws of the Fn system.

The best coaches take what their rosters offer them and adjust the systems to make it work within its personnel. Not here...not Guy. Square pegs have to fit into my rounded system.

Lunacy.

Great, great post.

Reactions: Cosmix

Tundraman

ModerationIsKey
Feb 13, 2010
North
Duchene with Stone or any offensive winger is to holding the puck too long as AJ on the post game show with a co-host is to a soliloquy

Viletho

Jan 20, 2015
I was at the Bell Center so i had a good view of things tonight.

I wasn't able to rewind and watch again so here is a few things I saw that jumped to me watching the Sens.

- They were very good at some point at breaking play in the neutral zone. Which is exactly what the system his about. But what wasn't good was the counter attack. It's one thing to break plays, but you also need to gain the puck and transition it into an offensive opportunity.

- Phaneuf-Ceci... Every time they were on the ice together, it was a nightmare.. Ceci has been bad with the puck and taking decision with it.. Phaneuf... man.. i was scratching my head all night... the guy cannot skate and what is worst is that he isn't moving his feet. He was also trying to make plays before getting the puck and he lost at least 2 or 3 time the puck that way. They should not be paired together.. Especially against fast player like Drouin.

Karlsson, he was a ROCK on defence. So solid all night... very good transition as usual, but not so good in the ozone... at least not to my liking.. and again.. hr lost the puck with the empty net.

Harpur was solid all night, IMO. Didn't notice Oduya much, which is probably a good thing.

Now this one isn't going to be popular, but Claesson need to step up his offensive game.. at least to the swedish trip level.. 1 points this year only.. granted he isn't given offensive opportunity.. i have faith in him, but i hope he step up.

Duchene, for all the talk about him not getting points, he was once again solid. Especially behind the net. He setup Hoffman and Stone for Grade A chance but they missed the puck

Stone is as usual.. God mode

Hoffman : i thought he had chance but he took weird decision. I don't know how it look on t.v but from my point of view he had a lot of opportunity for pass but he decide to skate the puck by 3-4 opponents instead on the transition. His shot was soft, at least they weren't looking heavy like it usually look.

As a line, they were very good. At least to me liking

Smith-Brassard-Ryan. Very good line. Very engage. But i wasn't happy with Ryan. Same thing than with Hoffman. Weird decision. Prime opportunity on the rush, he receive a pass in the slot, but he decide to do a no look pass to no one.. Enter the zone in the 3rd full speed, he has the D beat with 1 more stride but decide to pass it to the board, miss the pass and they lose the puck.

3rd line.. nothing
4th line.. nothing

Which bring me to the team problem i saw..

They lack mobility and puck skill on defence.. aside from Karlsson, there is no D that can skate the puck with ease out of danger. ( hummmmm Chabot, yesss i know.) They also are very poor at puck handling. They are slow at taking decision both on the D and offence. We need more skill on the back end.. again Harpur also look gpod imo.

Offence.. we need more from the top 6... but also from the bottom 6.. when we have been "successfull" this year, we had support scoring from the Dman ( Wideman, Chabot, Phaneuf, even Ceci was more engage ) we had support from the bottom 6...

The net front presence is again lacking. A lot of loose puck in the front of the net that if there was a second guy at the net, that's a goal..

That's all for now.. my memory cannot take more.

PK was good. PP need to move the puck quick.. Hoffman is also guilty of being very slow on the PP. BTW i don't think in saw one shot that i was telling myself that it was a very heavy and lazerbeam shot.. they were all soft.

Bonne nuit !!

Cosmix

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 24, 2011
Ottawa
Stone, Pyatt, Thompson are the only guys who have been good enough this year. Maybe Claesson, Harpur and Oduya, too. With most of those guys, though, you just expect them to be uneventful and to pitch in every once in a while. We need more from everyone else on the roster.
Stone, Pyatt, Borowiecki, Claesson, Full stop.

L'Aveuglette

つ ◕_◕ ༽つ
Jan 8, 2007
Montreal

Lunacy.

If Guy Boucher was coaching the Devils, Hischier would be getting 6 minutes of toi on average, and Butcher and Bratt would be playing in the minors while Andy Greene plays on the first pairing. They wouldn't be scoring much, but they'd lose a lot of close games 2-1 though!

MarkStone

Frankie Fryer
Mar 12, 2016
If Guy Boucher was coaching the Devils, Hischier would be getting 6 minutes of toi on average, and Butcher and Bratt would be playing in the minors while Andy Greene plays on the first pairing. They wouldn't be scoring much, but they'd lose a lot of close games 2-1 though!

Loved what he brought in his first year but yeah, he's having a Ben McAdoo type year so far. Just hope he hasn't lost the plot completely and can come around, I'm tired of this club hiring and firing coaches every couple years. It's exhausting and demoralizing.

BankStreetParade

Jan 22, 2013
Ottawa
Serious question: does Ottawa have the worst schedule in recent NHL history? They've played the least amount of games in the NHL so far, they've had more 3, 4 and 5 day breaks than any other team, they've played 2 games in Sweden already, tied for the most back to back games in the league. How could this schedule get any worse? The guys constantly look like they're skating in slow motion. I don't even understand how an elite athlete can keep a solid routine when the schedule is this f***ing ridiculous.

JoeSakic

Aug 15, 2006
Maybe just maybe that says more about the management and ownership of this team.

When your management continues to make questionable coaching choices you have to wonder about the quality of management. Not here in the nepotism capital of the world.

Easy to promote management from within as opposed to bringing someone in from the outside because it's much cheaper to do so. I'm not suggesting that Dorion can't get it done I'm simply saying that it would make sense to look to winning organizations for management help but only in Ottawa will your former strength and conditioning coach become an assistant GM (no offence Randy).

JoeSakic

Aug 15, 2006
Serious question: does Ottawa have the worst schedule in recent NHL history? They've played the least amount of games in the NHL so far, they've had more 3, 4 and 5 day breaks than any other team, they've played 2 games in Sweden already, tied for the most back to back games in the league. How could this schedule get any worse? The guys constantly look like they're skating in slow motion. I don't even understand how an elite athlete can keep a solid routine when the schedule is this ****ing ridiculous.

It's not like it's a surprise that the schedule was as odd as it is. A good organization makes sure they have a plan in place to cope with it.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad