Pre-Game Talk: SENS in old Montreal, Wednesday 7:30pm on SporstNet

ToastrStutzle

Feb 1, 2016
Ottawa
#fallinfordahlin

This is a really depressing slide but in all seriousness I expect the sens to challenge for that third divisional spot still.

MarkStone

Frankie Fryer
Mar 12, 2016
#fallinfordahlin

This is a really depressing slide but in all seriousness I expect the sens to challenge for that third divisional spot still.

We screwed up a huge opportunity to be above them in the standings + have breathing room while Price was going through his slump/was injured.

DrEasy

Out rumptackling
Oct 3, 2010
Stützville
We're lacking game-breaking players and game-breaking skills. We have Stone (what can't he do), and then we have Hoff's shot. The rest of them are either playing through an injury, are lost, or were never game-breakers to begin with.

The PP: looks like everybody is playing out of position. Back to the basics I say: put two defensemen on the point, go with offensive guys up front and fuggedabout Burrows.

Duchene - Stone - Hoffman
Phaneuf/Chabot - Karlsson

Duchene on the half-wall, Hoff at the Hoffice ready for the one-timer, Stone down low. If Chabot's in (he should be, but steak!), we have three options for playing the puck between him Karlsson and Duchene. If he's not, set up Pha9 for the shot from the point (and cover for him like heck, cause he ain't skating back in time if he whiffs).

We're missing Wideman more than we think. The only puck carrier other than Karlsson (and Chabot, but steak!). Hope he comes back at 100% and that Boucher learns to appreciate him more.

TonySoprano11

It's a very delicate situation.
Apr 8, 2006
Hayden, ID
What I witnessed tonight was one of the most poorly played NHL games I have ever seen. Two teams lacking any kind of cohesive game plan, skating around, turning pucks over, playing pickup style hockey. The worse part of it, is that our team was the worse of the two.

I don't think I have ever seen the Senators ever play so poorly as I did tonight. It was an embarrassment, and right now I am embarrassed to be a Senators fan. I don't know what happen. I can't believe a trip to Sweden could have caused this. This team is so poorly prepared for games, this has to be a coaching issue.

Boucher coached like his job depended on it tonight and he came up short, with his team playing beer league level hockey. I have been a big advocate for Boucher but man I think the guy is a one trick pony and teams have pretty much figured out our game; there is only so much one can do with smoke and mirrors.

I am done giving these guys 3 hours of my time several days a week. If this were a bad roster I could understand. But this team has some pretty prolific players and one of the worlds best. No reason for this kind of play whatsoever. These guys should absolutely be ashamed to collect their paychecks.

Reactions: branch and bert

WadeRedden

Feb 24, 2016
Loved what he brought in his first year but yeah, he's having a Ben McAdoo type year so far. Just hope he hasn't lost the plot completely and can come around, I'm tired of this club hiring and firing coaches every couple years. It's exhausting and demoralizing.

Meh, I don't think he's blatantly offending players with his stupidity the way McAdoo has this year.

That being said, his flaws are becoming more apparent with every passing game. It's incredible
What I witnessed tonight was one of the most poorly played NHL games I have ever seen. Two teams lacking any kind of cohesive game plan, skating around, turning pucks over, playing pickup style hockey. The worse part of it, is that our team was the worse of the two.

I don't think I have ever seen the Senators ever play so poorly as I did tonight. It was an embarrassment, and right now I am embarrassed to be a Senators fan. I don't know what happen. I can't believe a trip to Sweden could have caused this. This team is so poorly prepared for games, this has to be a coaching issue.

Boucher coached like his job depended on it tonight and he came up short, with his team playing beer league level hockey. I have been a big advocate for Boucher but man I think the guy is a one trick pony and teams have pretty much figured out our game; there is only so much one can do with smoke and mirrors.

I am done giving these guys 3 hours of my time several days a week. If this were a bad roster I could understand. But this team has some pretty prolific players and one of the worlds best. No reason for this kind of play whatsoever. These guys should absolutely be ashamed to collect their paychecks.

Exactly. Boucher is obviously good at what he does but it's all he does. There's never any attempt to adapt, or to alter a game plan when the opposition can be exploited. They just sit back and try not to lose. Often, this ends with them blowing a lead or losing a "hard-fought game" 2-1.

Countdown0

Deep Breath... nope, still mad!
Jun 28, 2010
Ottawa
On the way home from the gym, when the Habs scored their first goal and I was listening on the radio, I was practically begging for Boucher to call a timeout. Why don't we ever call a time out when we're playing like shit and give up a goal? Take some time to rally the f***ing troops and get their asses in gear for once, f***!

Reactions: Alex1234

Alex1234

Oct 14, 2014
So if EDM wins tonight there is only BUF FLO and ARI behind us in the ENTIRE LEAGUE.... f.... disgusting

BondraTime

Nov 20, 2005
East Coast
Sens need to get 10/12 points on this coming road trip, otherwise they are likely done. I've seen nothing for the past month and a half that leads me to believe they are capable of getting more than 4/12.

Anything less and they really need to start thinking about selling some of the spare change. Coming in 11-15th cannot happen, and picking 5-10 won't help like 1-4.

It really sucks, but they are in one of the worst positions in the NHL.

We have a 28 year old franchise player who is due for a ~6 million raise and a superstar forward who is due for a ~4 million dollar raise, and we are already struggling to make ends meet with them on their current salaries.

They have 14million tied up for the next few years in dead weight in Ryan and Phaneuf.

They have traded for immediate help, none of which is very helpful, while sacrificing major future assets.

Due to our cheap owner, we will not have a high 2nd round pick this year because he needed to save 2 million dollars. This isn't "we traded our pick for a bad player", this is we literally sold a draft pick to help the owners financials.

It really begs the question. A large majority here knew what we lacked this off season. We lost Methot and needed a replacement, and we had little offense outside of our top 3/4 guys. We signed a 4th line C and a 7th D man. What was Dorian thinking, I refuse to believe he is naive enough to think that the team we saw last year (Minus Methot) was a contender.

The strength of our organization is our amateur scouting, yet we are siphoning away picks from them to save a dollar.

Sens are rotten from the top down, most disappointed I have been on the outlook of the team since I started following them 20 years ago (obviously I couldn't form a great understanding in my early years).

Viletho

Jan 20, 2015
We're lacking game-breaking players and game-breaking skills. We have Stone (what can't he do), and then we have Hoff's shot. The rest of them are either playing through an injury, are lost, or were never game-breakers to begin with.

The PP: looks like everybody is playing out of position. Back to the basics I say: put two defensemen on the point, go with offensive guys up front and fuggedabout Burrows.

Duchene - Stone - Hoffman
Phaneuf/Chabot - Karlsson

Duchene on the half-wall, Hoff at the Hoffice ready for the one-timer, Stone down low. If Chabot's in (he should be, but steak!), we have three options for playing the puck between him Karlsson and Duchene. If he's not, set up Pha9 for the shot from the point (and cover for him like heck, cause he ain't skating back in time if he whiffs).

We're missing Wideman more than we think. The only puck carrier other than Karlsson (and Chabot, but steak!). Hope he comes back at 100% and that Boucher learns to appreciate him more.

I was never a fan of Wideman since coming with the Sens, but his role as a 2nd unit PP and transition player his now missing. Some are talking about Chabot being his replacement, but I say Chabot should replace Phaneuf..

Last year, Phaneuf was very good, but this year he looked even more slower. I don't think i saw one good play from phaneuf last night, and like i said, i was at the bell center. His strength his battling in front of the net, they say. Well i saw a slow Phaneuf losing in front battle, not covering the man very often and it wasn't even the strong and tough player..

Or i would argue that Harpur should be playing with Ceci.. For all the flaws he has, i'm talking about Ceci, he look more confortable with Harpur who his way more mobile than Phaneuf. Harpur can actually move fast for his size and get to the puck on the board. Which is something Phaneuf cannot. And Phaneuf isn't even that good at battling the board, he's good a wacking after he lost the puck.

Reactions: Nac Mac Feegle

Nac Mac Feegle

wee & free
Jun 10, 2011
I mean, I'm feeling down on this team too, but this wasn't close to being that bad. Hell, I've seen them play worst games THIS season.

Yep. 1992-93 was....interesting. Of course, at that time we were all so happy to have a team, most folks didn't notice how freaking bad we were.

Pierre from Orleans

May 9, 2007
Sens need to get 10/12 points on this coming road trip, otherwise they are likely done. I've seen nothing for the past month and a half that leads me to believe they are capable of getting more than 4/12.

Anything less and they really need to start thinking about selling some of the spare change. Coming in 11-15th cannot happen, and picking 5-10 won't help like 1-4.

It really sucks, but they are in one of the worst positions in the NHL.

We have a 28 year old franchise player who is due for a ~6 million raise and a superstar forward who is due for a ~4 million dollar raise, and we are already struggling to make ends meet with them on their current salaries.

They have 14million tied up for the next few years in dead weight in Ryan and Phaneuf.

They have traded for immediate help, none of which is very helpful, while sacrificing major future assets.

Due to our cheap owner, we will not have a high 2nd round pick this year because he needed to save 2 million dollars. This isn't "we traded our pick for a bad player", this is we literally sold a draft pick to help the owners financials.

It really begs the question. A large majority here knew what we lacked this off season. We lost Methot and needed a replacement, and we had little offense outside of our top 3/4 guys. We signed a 4th line C and a 7th D man. What was Dorian thinking, I refuse to believe he is naive enough to think that the team we saw last year (Minus Methot) was a contender.

The strength of our organization is our amateur scouting, yet we are siphoning away picks from them to save a dollar.

Sens are rotten from the top down, most disappointed I have been on the outlook of the team since I started following them 20 years ago (obviously I couldn't form a great understanding in my early years).
This just sounds like what they do every time they miss the playoffs, end up in a terrible position for the draft.

If the probability of them making the playoffs starts to become a certain reality they need to sell off some pieces at the deadline and really 'tank'. No more of this fetching garbage at the TDL for a chance at 9th

Last edited:

Nac Mac Feegle

wee & free
Jun 10, 2011
The draft lotto really makes it hard to tank. We could finish with the 8th pick, then get bumped down to 11th in the lotto.

Alex1234

Oct 14, 2014
I know you guys hate me for being overly positive, but have a look at this. In our first 23 games:

In 2006-07: 11-11-1 23pts
In 2017-18: 8-9-6 22pts

In Murray's 2nd year as coach, after a relatively successful season, the team started the season awfuly. Alfredsson was playing like shiite and was rumored to be traded for Craig Conroy. But we turned it around and went to the cup finals, and Alfie went from goat to god.
If MTL did it so can we

but

Practice the goddam pp

Its ranked 27th ffs

BatherSeason

Jun 16, 2009
Gatineau
I mean, I'm feeling down on this team too, but this wasn't close to being that bad. Hell, I've seen them play worst games THIS season.

While I agree that it wasn't as bad as some of the previous games, Montreal is not a very good hockey team. Maybe that's why it didn't look as bad.

BatherSeason

Jun 16, 2009
Gatineau
I was never a fan of Wideman since coming with the Sens, but his role as a 2nd unit PP and transition player his now missing. Some are talking about Chabot being his replacement, but I say Chabot should replace Phaneuf..

Last year, Phaneuf was very good, but this year he looked even more slower. I don't think i saw one good play from phaneuf last night, and like i said, i was at the bell center. His strength his battling in front of the net, they say. Well i saw a slow Phaneuf losing in front battle, not covering the man very often and it wasn't even the strong and tough player..

Or i would argue that Harpur should be playing with Ceci.. For all the flaws he has, i'm talking about Ceci, he look more confortable with Harpur who his way more mobile than Phaneuf. Harpur can actually move fast for his size and get to the puck on the board. Which is something Phaneuf cannot. And Phaneuf isn't even that good at battling the board, he's good a wacking after he lost the puck.

Ceci is bad period. It isn't because of Phanuef, or Cowen or Weircoch, its because of Cody Ceci.

Viletho

Jan 20, 2015
Ceci is bad period. It isn't because of Phanuef, or Cowen or Weircoch, its because of Cody Ceci.
Of course he hasn't been good. But when they are spending something like 45 seconds running after the puck, because Phaneuf isn't able to get to the puck one in a shift, Ceci cannot clear the puck to save his life and then the forward get the puck then lose it... you gotta try something else.

Phaneuf-Ceci aren't good together. But the few time we saw Harpur-Ceci... for some reason it looked better. Maybe because if Ceci try to reverse the puck Harpur can get to the puck and make something with it. When you are poor with the puck, which Ceci is, you need to put a good puck mover with him.

Last night.. the first goal, i don't know how he let Drouin behind him but he did.. Bad play.

2nd goal : People focus and the actual play that became a goal.. I focus on the whole 1+ min shift they spend in the zone running after the puck, and when they finally get it out, the forward aren't able to make a complete clear which led to Phaneuf and Ceci needed to stay on the ice even if they were already tired from the shift they just had. That's their fault if the were tired, don't get me wrong, but their is more event that led to that goal then simply losing a battle along the board and Phaneuf not covering the 2nd wave coming

Reactions: DrEasy

Pierre from Orleans

May 9, 2007
Of course he hasn't been good. But when they are spending something like 45 seconds running after the puck, because Phaneuf isn't able to get to the puck one in a shift, Ceci cannot clear the puck to save his life and then the forward get the puck then lose it... you gotta try something else.

Phaneuf-Ceci aren't good together. But the few time we saw Harpur-Ceci... for some reason it looked better. Maybe because if Ceci try to reverse the puck Harpur can get to the puck and make something with it. When you are poor with the puck, which Ceci is, you need to put a good puck mover with him.

Last night.. the first goal, i don't know how he let Drouin behind him but he did.. Bad play.

2nd goal : People focus and the actual play that became a goal.. I focus on the whole 1+ min shift they spend in the zone running after the puck, and when they finally get it out, the forward aren't able to make a complete clear which led to Phaneuf and Ceci needed to stay on the ice even if they were already tired from the shift they just had. That's their fault if the were tired, don't get me wrong, but their is more event that led to that goal then simply losing a battle along the board and Phaneuf not covering the 2nd wave coming

You are absolutely right. It all started from Ceci.

He was skating back with Patches trailing. He casually skates to the puck. If your the last man back with a player honing down on the puck you move your feet. It took him a couple seconds to even realize this before he started to hustle back. The puck goes around the boards and the battle ensues. He is not focused or either just can't read the play. I am leaning towards both.

You would think he would be aware since he has a patented double take that he always does to observe his surroundings.

Reactions: Newgates59

OgieO

May 17, 2006
Halifax
I understand Burrows is out there on the PP to be a net presence, and there is some souond reasoning behind that based on the volume of goals scored each year that involve net presence... HOWEVER, if he's going to insist on carrying the puck up the ice, even taking a puck from Stone to do so, then it should be pretty obvious that he should be replaced. The movement on PP seems to grind to a halt when he's out there too, but that is more observation than fact.

Pierre from Orleans

May 9, 2007
I understand Burrows is out there on the PP to be a net presence, and there is some souond reasoning behind that based on the volume of goals scored each year that involve net presence... HOWEVER, if he's going to insist on carrying the puck up the ice, even taking a puck from Stone to do so, then it should be pretty obvious that he should be replaced. The movement on PP seems to grind to a halt when he's out there too, but that is more observation than fact.
LOL

Yea, he literally took the puck from Stone, entered the zone and lost it on the PP

I guess he was trying to be a difference maker. Boucher loved the effort

Bileur

Jun 15, 2004
Ottawa

Claesson-Karlsson
Harpur-Ceci
Chabot-Phaneuf

And adjust the damn system so Chabot can play LD.

Ad

Upcoming events

• USA vs Sweden
    USA vs Sweden
    Wagers: 4
    Staked: $1,217.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Finland vs Czechia
    Finland vs Czechia
    Wagers: 2
    Staked: $400.00