GDT: SENS in California (San Jose), Sat. 10:00pm on SportsNet

Tnuoc Alucard

🇨🇦🔑🧲✈️🎲🥅🎱🍟🥨🌗
Sep 23, 2015
Look reality in the face? A little ironic coming from some. Aren't I super negative? And think all the players are bad. And think our GM (the pro) has failed in building a good team and our coach (a pro) has failed in whatever he's tried to do. (Those last two are correct).

I'm just not a standings watcher. I can honestly say I look at the standings exactly 0 times a season. Yeah we'd have to be a lot lot better. If Andy improves. That's a couple more points right there. But whatever. One game at a time.

Fans who only look at the "points behind the playoff spot" like you seem to be, are kept interested, in the season, for longer than most........... with the mistaken belief that the Senators are "only 7 points behind" the Bruins (who have a game in hand) and if "Andy get better, that's two points" that the Senators actually can easily catch the Bruins and cruise right into the playoffs.

History shows that teams NOT is a playoff spot by US Thanksgiving, almost always never find a way to make the playoffs.

Sure there are exceptions, and I for one would love to see the Senators claw back into the playoff race, just like the Hamburglar run ............. but I also know the odds of Lightning striking twice, in the same place, for the same team, are astronomical.

You don't want to acknowledge the math, that show the Senators odds of making the playoffs are somewhere between slim and none ............ that's fine, focusing on the "only 7 points behind" mindset will just keep your hopes going longer into the season that fans that take a logical look at the whole picture.

Burrowsaurus

Mar 20, 2013
Fans who only look at the "points behind the playoff spot" like you seem to be, are kept interested, in the season, for longer than most........... with the mistaken belief that the Senators are "only 7 points behind" the Bruins (who have a game in hand) and if "Andy get better, that's two points" that the Senators actually can easily catch the Bruins and cruise right into the playoffs.

History shows that teams NOT is a playoff spot by US Thanksgiving, almost always never find a way to make the playoffs.

Sure there are exceptions, and I for one would love to see the Senators claw back into the playoff race, just like the Hamburglar run ............. but I also know the odds of Lightning striking twice, in the same place, for the same team, are astronomical.

You don't want to acknowledge the math, that show the Senators odds of making the playoffs are somewhere between slim and none ............ that's fine, focusing on the "only 7 points behind" mindset will just keep your hopes going longer into the season that fans that take a logical look at the whole picture.
I know it's probably slim. But I mean. So what? I'm still gonna watch every single game. I think it's far from impossible though

Reactions: Back in Black

Tnuoc Alucard

🇨🇦🔑🧲✈️🎲🥅🎱🍟🥨🌗
Sep 23, 2015
I know it's probably slim. But I mean. So what? I'm still gonna watch every single game. I think it's far from impossible though

I'll also watch, or attend, the remaining games as well ........ but I don't,in any way, have any hopes, right now, that they can catch the Bruins.......... the math is just to real.

Reactions: Cosmix

Cosmix

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 24, 2011
Ottawa
Why are people talking about firing the coach?

This team played all of last year with speed, discipline, structure, a system, they attacked the neutral zone, they turned over pucks, they generated scoring chances, they got average to above average goaltending.

None of that exists anymore. Is that literally only the coach's responsibility? There's something very clearly wrong with this team and I honestly don't think it has anything to do with Boucher or his system. This guy prepares meticulously. He's extraordinary with detail. He adapts game plans to opponents. Do you seriously think he isn't trying anything and everything he can think of to get this team back on track?

Something has very clearly happened somewhere along the way. These guys look like they're skating uphill every game. They can't keep pucks on their sticks. They can't win foot races to loose pucks. They're getting beat on the board and basically everywhere on the ice. They bobble passes. They can't think the game properly and it's been the case ever since they got back from Sweden. They were 8-3-5 before they left Sweden and had one of the best point percentages in the NHL. Since they've come back they have been THE worst team in the league.

Someone explain to me how that's the fault of the coach or the GM? Did Guy Boucher come back from Sweden and all of a sudden forget how to coach a team?

The GM is responsible for acquiring the players for the team via draft, trades and FA signings. He has failed. The coach is responsible for making the players on the roster play together as a team. He has failed. The players are supposed to take the coach,s direction and strategies and play in accordance with them. Many of them have failed. There is a lot of blame to be assigned.

If I were the owner, I would fire the GM, hire a new GM and direct him to do whatever he felt appropriate to rebuild this team so as to get this team into the playoffs within 3 or 4 years. Tanking to get high draft picks can be a major part of the strategy along with making trades for the future, not today.

Reactions: Sens of Anarchy

God Says No

Mar 16, 2012
^^^ We can't tank with Erik on the team. So either it's tank job without Erik, or try to win with him. Those are the two options.

Karl Prime

Feb 13, 2017
^^^ We can't tank with Erik on the team. So either it's tank job without Erik, or try to win with him. Those are the two options.

They can't tank with EK, but they can have a bottom 5 finish this season, get a top-end draft pick, and then retool.

God Says No

Mar 16, 2012
They can't tank with EK, but they can have a bottom 5 finish this season, get a top-end draft pick, and then retool.

Yip. Agreed. That's the best case scenario right now. Which also means I would keep Boucher for the time being. There is no advantage right now in firing him. Is there some can't miss coach out there that we could possibly hire? I don't know of any. The only reason to fire Boucher is if he lost the room and the players hate him. I don't know if that has happened.

Karl Prime

Feb 13, 2017
Yip. Agreed. That's the best case scenario right now. Which also means I would keep Boucher for the time being. There is no advantage right now in firing him. Is there some can't miss coach out there that we could possibly hire? I don't know of any. The only reason to fire Boucher is if he lost the room and the players hate him. I don't know if that has happened.

Even if Boucher has lost the room and is fired in January/February, all a new coach coming in would do is help the team play better, and probably play White, Chlapik, and Jaros, which would give the team a spark. I'm very fearful of the team turning it around but missing the playoffs and finishing mid-table, which would hurt more than it helps.

Gil Gunderson

May 2, 2007
Ottawa, ON
And some people here seem to think it's the Owner, The GM and the Coaching staff's fault.

How would any changes in ownership, management and coaching change those stats?
Who assembles the team and decides the way they play? Teams aren't randomly assigned players by the league.

It starts from ownership. You get what you pay for. A shoe-string budget gets you budget management/coaches/scouts. You're essentially trying to win on expert mode.

Reactions: Karl Prime

sensrulz

Nov 12, 2009
You know I have followed the Sens for a long time and they have had share of top end talent.. and were an exciting them to watch for a long time.. now they look like they are broken with players that can't match the speed of the NHL today.. they got old with fat contracts but their D is severely broken and O is 0 soo now what.. Alfie and SPEZZA were amazing and worth the price of admission.. Ryan and Dutch not so much.. :(

Cosmix

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 24, 2011
Ottawa

He has been helping the tank for the last 12 games! :)

I am not opposed to trading Karlsson as we may get a great package of picks and prospects for him. I am very concerned about signing him to a $12M/year contract for 8 years, given his injury history and poor play recently.

Reactions: Tundraman

Cosmix

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 24, 2011
Ottawa
Who assembles the team and decides the way they play? Teams aren't randomly assigned players by the league.

It starts from ownership. You get what you pay for. A shoe-string budget gets you budget management/coaches/scouts. You're essentially trying to win on expert mode.

I agree with all you said but did not understand the last sentence.

Cosmix

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 24, 2011
Ottawa

I am going to watch all the remaining games too because I am a strong Senators fan. Come playoffs, I will watch and hope for the Jets to do well. I have a love-hate relationship with TORONTO as I was as fan in my youth when the Original Six were the league.

Burrowsaurus

Mar 20, 2013
I am going to watch all the remaining games too because I am a strong Senators fan. Come playoffs, I will watch and hope for the Jets to do well. I have a love-hate relationship with TORONTO as I was as fan in my youth when the Original Six were the league.
I'll be rooting for Nashville if Sens are out. But if Sens are in I despise all others.

Jorge Garcia

Dec 9, 2004
How on earth is that not a goal?????
It doesn't matter any more, but you still have to wonder how anyone can watch a video, slow it, freeze it, see this image and still say no goal. Even from this view it's clearly in, and that's not even considering that the puck was on edge, so the contact point with the ice is another inch and a half farther over the line. Why have replay if they're just going to screw up the call a second time?

Jorge Garcia

Dec 9, 2004
It appears that Boucher has changed his rigid 1-3-1 system to one that includes more forechecking. That has not worked either.
A defensive-oriented system works well for offensively challenged players but is not optimum for offensively gifted players. The system needs to be different for each line and/or set of 5 players (3F & 2D). Square pegs in square holes and Round pegs in round holes.
The thing is, last year it wasn't a rigid system, despite the whining of ill informed and bitter non-Sens fans. They would switch in and out of different looks, depending on the situation, and that made it hard to counter. It looks like everyone is a step ahead of Ottawa this year, instead of a step behind.

aragorn

Do The Right Thing
Aug 8, 2004
Seems like the players have quit on the team, not on the coach. I'm sure they would love to put it on the line for Boucher as he has always had their back and they did well together. But all of the decisions seem to be made with $ in mind, even to the detriment of the team.

While I agree that some of the decisions have been made with dollars in mind & this "internal budget" but not all the decisions IMO. Let's not forget that a number of the players that were brought here have been players that Boucher wanted & have played for him before at some point going back to junior it seems. IMO he takes responsibility for bringing these guys here & playing them over some of the prospects we already have that some of us think are better players or even over bringing in other better players who may have been available. Dorion also deserves some of the blame for listening to him. These guys that he wanted haven't worked out & while a couple of them have been alright like Pyatt IMO there must be better options out there. I personally can't stand the kind of players he has brought in, these soft speedy little players with zero offence to their game that are borderline NHL players.

I think the coach has to go, there are just too many issues surrounding him that fans perceive he is directly responsible for. For example, his overly complex & rigid boring system that at times has been ridiculed in the league & that his own players look like they don't know what they are doing. His constant line changing & no cohesiveness,they all play like individuals & have no chemistry with anyone else on the team. His intolerance with younger players & bringing in career minor league players that played for him before who have no business being in the NHL. His terrible special teams especially the PP which hasn't improved in two yrs & the worse IMO is having such a soft team physically & mentally who are so easy to play against & have looked like quitters in a number of games this yr. I don't think replacing one player or two will do it, I think it's the coach & IMO these players have stopped listening to him. Something also has to be said about the leadership of this team that they have quit on so many coaches or have they quit on this management team & owner? Hard to know. Also very puzzling why they would ask so many players which teams they don't want to be traded to especially Karlsson, why would they ask him if they weren't thinking about it? And how are they & how is he going to respond to that? Probably by playing the way they did against SJ. What a mess!

Last edited:

Samboni

Jan 26, 2014
I'm surprised that the goal taken away from Bobby didn't get more media attention. It could have been a rallying point for the team.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad