GDT: SENS in California (San Jose), Sat. 10:00pm on SportsNet

Langdon Alger

Apr 19, 2006
For sure. I'll never argue that Tim wasn't great at finding amateur talent. But he doesn't possess the tools to be a successful GM. Finding talent and putting together a team aren't the same thing. Negotiating isn't the same as drafting the highest guy on your board.

Yup, that’s what I’m saying. A good scout doesn’t necessarily become a good GM.

Sens of Anarchy

Jul 9, 2013
I agree there are so many areas of concern with this team & this franchise it's hard to pinpoint just one. The owner is a problem, the GM has made trades that haven't worked out, the coach improved the team last yr & lost it this yr. The players are playing like crap, the scorers aren't scoring, the goalies aren't stopping pucks & the defence are not preventing goals or chipping in offensively & next to zero secondary scoring. They are on one of the worse slumps we have seen in 20 yrs of watching this team or since their inception. What do you do when you have so many holes in the boat? Abandon ship!
That's a million $ question...
If you look at the team's record this year... Disappointing no question. 1/3 of the way thru they are 3 games under 500.. Its bad but if they turn it around somewhat they can get over 500 in a few games.. is it enough not likely .. they are very likely out of the playoffs... Its a terrible slump.

This summer and all this fall I kept reading and hearing one goal from the Stanley cup playoffs... but I always thought they overachieved and was really happy they did, but still the chips fell for them ... last year's success was no guarantee that we would be a playoff team this year.

HavlatMach9

streamable 3rah1
Mar 17, 2011
Ottawa
But all of the decisions seem to be made with $ in mind, even to the detriment of the team.
i don't think Dorion is that much cash strapped. There's some deadweight cap, but Dorion is still spending plenty including our dual coaches. If we're cash strapped, it'd be the rest of hockey operations.

Tundraman

ModerationIsKey
Feb 13, 2010
North
Amateur scouting, maybe. He's shown himself to be a horrendous pro scout.
Why not? He's a good GM. Heck, look at the last draft. Formenton and Batherson, picked in the 2nd and 4th rounds, might make Team Canada. That's insane.

Those picks make Dorion a good amateur scout and just about everyone thinks that but it has nothing to do with him being a good GM which imo he is not.

Alex1234

Oct 14, 2014
Seems like the players have quit on the team, not on the coach. I'm sure they would love to put it on the line for Boucher as he has always had their back and they did well together. But all of the decisions seem to be made with $ in mind, even to the detriment of the team.
Exactly

And Karlsson's comments last week echoed that

As goes the Captain as goes the Sens we always said that

And with Method and Turris leaving and him being hurt I think he's quitting on the team and the others are sinking with him

L'Aveuglette

つ ◕_◕ ༽つ
Jan 8, 2007
Montreal
Boucher has tried just about everything he can. At what point are the players responsible? We've seen Boucher's style do wonders for this team, when the players played disciplined hockey, when they fought for every inch of ice. That hasn't been happening. Some of that can be placed on the coach, but it's too easy of an out for them. They need to take responsibility, and come to work every day. If that happens and the results are still not there, then sure place the blame on the coach.

The Boucher pattern is the same wherever he goes. It's obvious that his coaching style is only good for the short term.

Reactions: Karl Prime

Tundraman

ModerationIsKey
Feb 13, 2010
North
AJ is pushing the story that Kyle Turris didn't want to be here. Shows you how little he knows. He's sucking up to Dorion. AJ should switch gears because Dorion won't be around too much longer after he plays the fire the coach card he'll have to find someone else to suck up to.

Nac Mac Feegle

wee & free
Jun 10, 2011
AJ is pushing the story that Kyle Turris didn't want to be here. Shows you how little he knows. He's sucking up to Dorion. AJ should switch gears because Dorion won't be around too much longer after he plays the fire the coach card he'll have to find someone else to suck up to.

I doubt anyone outside of the Turris family knows the truth. I would guess his first choice was to stay in Ottawa.....but when a franchise like Nashville comes up in discussion, that changes things. Great city, great fanbase, solid ownership, and a better taxes situation (not to mention, better weather, too). Team is also a legit contender. Pretty hard to turn that down.

chipsens

Post and in...
Jan 9, 2013
Boucher tap-dancing...."we have to avoid self-sabotaging..." ..."guys are trying too hard"

Is he really talking about himself?!

Last edited:

Ouroboros

There is no armour against Fate
Feb 3, 2008

Smells a lot like damage control to me...

God Says No

Mar 16, 2012

Actually, Turris not wanting to be here makes a lot of sense.

Reactions: Dave Sparky Allison

Back in Black

All Sports would be great if they were Hockey
Jan 30, 2012
In the Penalty Box
Like I said earlier, not sure why Boucher didn't go with Condon, to give Andy a break. Andy should have been pulled after 3 goals tonight.

And that goal that they took away from the SENS. Come on, really? Either way, it wouldn't have made a difference in the game, but still...

Tundraman

ModerationIsKey
Feb 13, 2010
North
Actually, Turris not wanting to be here makes a lot of sense.
It makes for a good story by Dorion supporters but it's not the truth just like AJ saying that Turris hated Boucher is taking it too far. Turris is not that kind of guy. How others in Turris' entourage are retelling things is their bend on it. Timeline is also very important when assessing after the fact leaked information. Some don't appear to be able to make that distinction.

That said, when the new season starts the players play for the guys in their locker room so the past has no bearing on this season. This team as built is not as bad as they've shown but they are also not good enough to make the playoffs.

krapsik

Nov 13, 2009
Estonia
For me, in a moment, is only one big question:
Is it wise to renew my monthly Gamecenter subscription ?

DrEasy

Out rumptackling
Oct 3, 2010
Stützville
Three guys I want to rescue from this disaster of a game:

- Duchene: dude is trying really hard
- Dzingel: amidst all this, he's playing with more and more confidence
- Harpur: getting more and more responsibilities, and earning them

Reactions: Cosmix

DrEasy

Out rumptackling
Oct 3, 2010
Stützville
Stone must still be recovering from his illness. When he's 100% he can carry the team on his back. We just have too many players who are not playing at 100%.

- the players are broken
- the system is broken
- the GM is a token
- the owner is broke

Reactions: Cosmix and Benjamin

Karl Prime

Feb 13, 2017
Three guys I want to rescue from this disaster of a game:

- Duchene: dude is trying really hard
- Dzingel: among all this, he's playing with more and more confidence
- Harpur: getting more and more responsibilities, and earning them

Dz has been a real pleasant surprise.

Reactions: Cosmix

Korpse

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 5, 2010
The Boucher pattern is the same wherever he goes. It's obvious that his coaching style is only good for the short term.

There might be something to it, but i think its still too early to come to that conclusion. I for one am sick and tired of the coaching carousel, why is it that everytime there's a new coach behind the bench the team performs well for a period and then seem to quit on each other. I think its time some players look in the mirror. This is the fourth season Erik Karlsson has been captain and fans are calling for the third coach in that time span to be fired.

Reactions: thinkwild

Cheapseats

Cigars N F-Bombs
Mar 2, 2004
AJ is a 100% bought-and-paid-for mouthpiece of the Ottawa Senators. Always has been always will be.

He's the teams media blow hard. I wish we had good sports reporting in this city and not guys who just want to suck up and be friends of the Org.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->