Confirmed with Link: Sens Hire Le Chiffre aka Guy Boucher, brings the Crawdaddy with him

Status
Not open for further replies.

topshelf15

May 5, 2009
I think all of us are excited now ,but its also understandable why so many including me .Were quick to jump on EM ,he just always seems to just say the wrong things .He almost seems to always try and deflate any excitement we try to generate .He is the ultimate buzzkill as an owner ,and must be a real hit at parties:laugh:

Super Cake

Jun 24, 2013
Apparently Boucher and Crawford had their first meeting last night and it lasted 6 and a half hours.

Edit: You beat me too it Micklebot.

6stringmofo

Mar 12, 2015
Ottawa
I think all of us are excited now ,but its also understandable why so many including me .Were quick to jump on EM ,he just always seems to just say the wrong things .He almost seems to always try and deflate any excitement we try to generate .He is the ultimate buzzkill as an owner ,and must be a real hit at parties:laugh:

While I suspected this, I was able to keep it contained, I was more disappointed by the idea then mad.

And Yes, I wanted BB. But I'm feeling much better about management ...for now ;)

Now I feel like someone is finally righting the ship and plotting a course.

Micklebot

Apr 27, 2010
Apparently Boucher and Crawford had their first meeting last night and it lasted 6 and a half hours.

Edit: You beat me too it Micklebot.

Link to the interview

http://www.tsn.ca/radio/vancouver-1040-i-1410/crawford-thrilled-to-be-working-with-boucher-1.487797

- Excited about Boucher's enthusiasm
- Happy he gets NHL salary again
- Adjust to being an assistant; have to read off the HC. temper your personality to assist the HC. Be strong with the info being brought. Suggest adjustments, can give Boucher the knowledge that his assistants gave him (Martin, Quenville, Desjardins, Lewis, ect)
- Thinks the team is talented, thinks the coaches in the past did a good job, and they need to build on what the predecessors did.
- 6 1/2hrs meeting, talked about PP, PK was so thorough.
- Looking forward to being the good cop for once (joking)

Non sens stuff
- Talked about how Mike Sullivan did great job the other night in game 6
- Talked about how he talked to Martin about how Sullivan was ready to be a HC again.
- Pens made great trades, Sullivan knew the minor guys and was able to get them into the group without much adjustments
-

Last edited:

topshelf15

May 5, 2009
While I suspected this, I was able to keep it contained, I was more disappointed by the idea then mad.

And Yes, I wanted BB. But I'm feeling much better about management ...for now ;)
For EM ,he just needs to stop talking at times .He is a horrible salesman for this team .Its always budget this ,and we have to be careful that.I get enough of that from my wife ,i dont want to hear it when iam trying to enjoy .And get excited about this team and where its headed

Boud

Dec 27, 2011
Well thats purely speculation on your part that Dorion believes there was a difference between BB and GB's coaching abilities.

Maybe, just maybe, Dorion felt that the 44 year old young and hungry coach with a clear vision was a better fit for his young team than the 61 year old Boudreau, who once again led a great team to an early exit in playoffs.

Seriously though, look at the best coaches in the league. Aside from Hitchcock and Boudreau, there are none over 60 years old. Coaches typically have their success much, much earlier in life than Boudreau.

Babcock = 53yrs (last won a cup 8 years ago)
Queneville = 57yrs
Julien = 57yrs (last won cup 6 years ago)
McLellan = 48yrs old
Cooper = 48rs old
Ruff = 56yrs old
Vingneault = 56yrs old
Trotz = 53yrs old
Sutter = 57yrs old

Boudreau and the Senators are not at the same stage of development. After looking at all of the facts, I strongly think that we made the right choice in Boucher.

Didn't have time to answer your post from yesterday but that's good work.

2CHAINZ

Feb 27, 2008
Lol feels good to come in here and see the 180s most of yall have done now.

2CHAINZ

Feb 27, 2008
I haven't changed my mind and I won't until I see the on-ice product. Easy to say the right things.

So you're still mad that we offered Boudreau a contract and didn't get him, even though we never offered him one ?

Knave

Mar 6, 2007
Ottawa
6 hours? At least they seem dedicated and passionate. You might as well review tape of the Senator players and their season.

I thought it was likely Dorion from the beginning.

So you're still mad that we offered Boudreau a contract and didn't get him, even though we never offered him one ?

Boudreau "Yeah I'm looking for (or I have) a 4 year 3 million dollar offer" Dorion thinks "yeah I'm not matching that". They talk for a bit about a possible 3 year deal but it becomes clear 4 years is a sticking point. The end.

Micklebot

Apr 27, 2010
6 hours? At least they seem dedicated and passionate. You might as well review tape of the Senator players and their season.

I thought it was likely Dorion from the beginning.

Boudreau "Yeah I'm looking for (or I have) a 4 year 3 million dollar offer" Dorion thinks "yeah I'm not matching that". They talk for a bit about a possible 3 year deal but it becomes clear 4 years is a sticking point. The end.

So what about an extra year would scare off Dorion? I mean, presumably, he thinks that the guy he hired will last that long.

The whole premise that Ottawa was scared off by 1 extra year seems odd to me; this isn't a player were you expect regression as the guy ages. It's not like Boudreau was unproven, he's a known commodity with a damn solid track record. The only reason an extra year would scare you off is because you aren't sold on him in the first place, and Dorion appears to be really high on Boucher, so...

I would suggest that Dorion preferring Boucher over Boudreau is less of a head scratcher than Ottawa preferring Boudreau but not being willing to give an extra year.

2CHAINZ

Feb 27, 2008

topshelf15

May 5, 2009

Knave

Mar 6, 2007
Ottawa
So what about an extra year would scare off Dorion? I mean, presumably, he thinks that the guy he hired will last that long.

The whole premise that Ottawa was scared off by 1 extra year seems odd to me; this isn't a player were you expect regression as the guy ages. It's not like Boudreau was unproven, he's a known commodity with a damn solid track record. The only reason an extra year would scare you off is because you aren't sold on him in the first place, and Dorion appears to be really high on Boucher, so...

I would suggest that Dorion preferring Boucher over Boudreau is less of a head scratcher than Ottawa preferring Boudreau but not being willing to give an extra year.

Most GMs are given 3-5 years to give a plan and execute on it.

You give Boudreau 4 years at 3 million as your first move and it fails - that's pretty big.
Any owner is going to look at the GM and think "what?".

If Boucher fails in year 2 or 3 - you can move on.

I'm not saying Dorion and Melnyk were thinking "OMG Boudreau is so ****ing amazing and Boucher is a distant 2nd". I'm sure they really liked Boucher.
But Boudreau had by far the best resume of the options out there. Dorion and Melnyk harped on and on about how they wanted to get an experienced NHL head coach.

I'll repeat it again - I think Dorion went with a safer option (Boucher) in case things go wrong.

topshelf15

May 5, 2009

You give Boudreau 4 years at 3 million as your first move and it fails - that's pretty big.

I'm not saying Dorion and Melnyk were thinking "OMG Boudreau is so ****ing amazing and Boucher is a distant 2nd". I'm sure they really liked Boucher.
But Boudreau had by far the best resume of the options out there. Dorion and Melnyk harped on and on about how they wanted to get an experienced head coach.

I'll repeat it again - I think Dorion went with a safer option (Boucher) in case things go wrong.
Makes perfect sense ,we can all pretty much agree Dorion is a thinking man

Burrowsaurus

Mar 20, 2013

In business you sometimes have to go with your second choice.

Also. I'm waiting and seeing on Boucher. As I was unsure of him before this whole process began. And still am.

Doesn't mean I hate him. But I am unsure.

Last edited:

Alex1234

Oct 14, 2014

It feels like they are going to put a insane amount of time on prep and hopefully demand the same from the players

Its like we now have 2 head coaches so they can splitt the workload and go into more details

Marty9

Sep 26, 2007
Just about everything GB says is a little exciting. I posted I got giddy when he started talking about the pp plans he has during the press conference. Can barely wait to see it by the middle of the season.

I missed it, what did he say about power play?

Micklebot

Apr 27, 2010

Any owner is going to look at the GM and think "what?".

But Boudreau had by far the best resume of the options out there. Dorion and Melnyk harped on and on about how they wanted to get an experienced NHL head coach.

So, according to the numbers at capfriendly the average contract length that coaches they have info on is 3.75 years, and that includes a couple 1 year show me deals, and Babcocks insanity deal.

Why is it that most GMs don't follow your theory?

I think that you're searching for justification of your preconceived beliefs; The safe play would have been to give the extra year to a known commodity. Not to go with an unknown. If Boudreau failed in year 2 or 3, you'd have a pretty good indication that it was a player personnel issue, and not a coaching one.

What Dorion did was far from the safe pick. He took a risk, and he's owning it like a champ.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad