Confirmed with Link: Sens hire Cookson as assistant coach and Groulx as goalie coach

Micklebot

Apr 27, 2010
That's basically what I meant in other words, so yea, I agree... the key thing is that he gets that this information is important, which he obviously doesn't think. Whether the information is given to him by a coach, his sister, or his grandmother doesn't matter. This is the evolution of the sport he plays in, it's obviously extremely important. You don't need to be a genius to understand that. Brushing it off is stupid any way you shape it.

And, besides, I do think that as a player, not a fan, a player that actually plays the game, you need to find ways to evolve. There isn't such a thing as not willing to work on his deficiencies, but there is such a thing as not recognizing those deficiencies until the coach tells you. Any athlete knows in what area they need to get better, advanced stats are a key metric of certain areas where Boro was just not good at all. Brushing it off is pure stupidity, it has nothing to do with the coach not telling him.

And the Karlsson comments... Please ... There isn't even a context where you would say that about a player that is about a million times better than you and the only reason why you actually have a chance to win games. Keep him on reins, what the hell does that mean? He's the best defensemen in the league FFS.

The good thing is that it looks like we have coaches who value other things than work ethic, and Boro will likely sit most of the season unless there's injuries, and he will most likely need to start putting his work ethic to good use by working on important things.

So are you suggesting that Karlsson doesn't push too much for offense from time to time? I agree Karlsson's the best Dman in the league imo, but I have no issues with saying that sometimes he's looking to create offense when he should be playing more conservatively. Heck, McLean often said he like Karlsson for the 20 mins he played for our team, and not so much the 10 he plays for the other team and Cameron would say I don’t want to cut down his home runs, I want to cut down his strikeouts. That's the coach trying to reign him in right there.

Maybe it wasn't Boro's place to say what he said, but it certainly wasn't untrue. He was being asked about differences in how coaches deal with Subban, and Karlsson. Subban was on the heels of being ripped apart for a giveaway (well, actually, I think he fell and it led to a goal), so Boro talked about how it's beneficial for players to see even the stars being held accountable.

People like to act like Boro was criticizing Karlsson, which really wasn't the case. He was asked how Cameron handles Karlsson (days after a couple whiffs leading to goals against) vs Therrien handling Subban (days after he was publically criticized if memory serves). He was being diplomatic in stating that players appreciate seeing star players held accountable, and talked about how Cameron holds Karlsson accountable (it's the coaches job to reign him in).

Somehow, that gets interpreted as Boro calls out Karlsson for being bad defensively...

Proust*

Dec 8, 2010
So, are we hiring someone who knows both hockey and statistics to handle analytics? Or are we going to do it the Sens' way and just buy Analytics For Dummies and let these guys learn how it all works?

Boud

Dec 27, 2011
So are you suggesting that Karlsson doesn't push too much for offense from time to time? I agree Karlsson's the best Dman in the league imo, but I have no issues with saying that sometimes he's looking to create offense when he should be playing more conservatively. Heck, McLean often said he like Karlsson for the 20 mins he played for our team, and not so much the 10 he plays for the other team and Cameron would say I don’t want to cut down his home runs, I want to cut down his strikeouts. That's the coach trying to reign him in right there.

Maybe it wasn't Boro's place to say what he said, but it certainly wasn't untrue. He was being asked about differences in how coaches deal with Subban, and Karlsson. Subban was on the heels of being ripped apart for a giveaway (well, actually, I think he fell and it led to a goal), so Boro talked about how it's beneficial for players to see even the stars being held accountable.

People like to act like Boro was criticizing Karlsson, which really wasn't the case. He was asked how Cameron handles Karlsson (days after a couple whiffs leading to goals against) vs Therrien handling Subban (days after he was publically criticized if memory serves). He was being diplomatic in stating that players appreciate seeing star players held accountable, and talked about how Cameron holds Karlsson accountable (it's the coaches job to reign him in).

Somehow, that gets interpreted as Boro calls out Karlsson for being bad defensively...

Fair enough!

So, are we hiring someone who knows both hockey and statistics to handle analytics? Or are we going to do it the Sens' way and just buy Analytics For Dummies and let these guys learn how it all works?

Based on comments from Dorion, Boucher, Cookson (and Crawford did alk about analytics but I can't remember exactly what he said), I think the advanced stats are something that they will use but with context. Obviously the coaches that were hired know a lot about hockey. Cookson was in the Flames organization for over 10 years and coached the Spengler cup.

slamigo

Skate or Die!
Dec 25, 2007
Ottawa
Anyone else catch the fact that Dorion didn't pronounce Boro's name properly during his radio interview? Like, not even close.
He said "Boro-wiki". Unless that's his nickname? Lol

Icelevel

During these difficult times...
Sep 9, 2009
Anyone else catch the fact that Dorion didn't pronounce Boro's name properly during his radio interview? Like, not even close.
He said "Boro-wiki". Unless that's his nickname? Lol

Yeah he's been doing that for a while. Same with.....? Someone else he doesn't pronounce properly.
GM should know their players names no?

DrunkUncleDenis

Condra Fan
Mar 27, 2012
He should remember it for future references

''Remember that Boro-wiki? Yea, let's not have a guy like this playing regularly anymore''

Maybe he's just lazy. Bo-ro-wi-ki is a lot easier to say than Bor-vi-et-ski. Maybe it's a pronunciation thing, a language thing.. or maybe he likes to emulate Don Cherry or the EA NHL announcer.

"Patrick Laleemee."

DrunkUncleDenis

Condra Fan
Mar 27, 2012
I remember now!
It was chase-on. And Pierre is supposed to be bilingual.

So maybe it is guys with no future here.

Kevin-Butler-Mind-Blown.gif

Super Cake

Jun 24, 2013
Tony Marinaro @TonyMarinaro
Martin Raymond interviewed w/ OTT Senators today to be part of their Coaching Staff. My understanding is job is his if he wants it #TSN690

Langdon Alger

Apr 19, 2006
How the heck did Dorion find time to interview a coaching candidate today of all days?

Chances are that Raymond didn't interview. He was on Boucher's staff in Tampa and in Hamilton. I believe they've known each other for about 20 years going back to their days in Montreal at McGill.

BonkTastic

ಠ_ಠ
Nov 9, 2010
Parts Unknown
Oh jeez, Marty Raymond!

He's the coach that Jason Bailey tried to sue for anti-semetic discrimination when they were with the Ducks org together.

Bailey ended up requesting that all charges be dismissed, by the way. The case never saw the light of day.

Viletho

Jan 20, 2015
Dorion has said in every interview where he's been asked that Boucher gets to pick his own staff, every candidate has to meet with him (Dorion) before they are hired.

Yesterday, Boucher said to tsn 1200. They would talk to see if they should have another coach. Would want one before the 4th of July. He l
Also met with some of the Leader of the team. Karlsson-Phaneuf-Turris-Neil-Stone.

Ouroboros

There is no armour against Fate
Feb 3, 2008
Oh jeez, Marty Raymond!

He's the coach that Jason Bailey tried to sue for anti-semetic discrimination when they were with the Ducks org together.

Bailey ended up requesting that all charges be dismissed, by the way. The case never saw the light of day.

Different guy.

Martin Raymond (this guy) is who the Sens interviewed.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad