Confirmed with Link: Sens hire Cookson as assistant coach and Groulx as goalie coach

edguy

Feb 5, 2014
Charlottetown, PEI
Yep.

Groulx apparently is the guy who worked with Anderson when he was in Florida. Seems like he was instrumental in turning Andy's career around. He went to Montreal after and is credited with developing Halak.

Seems like a good coach! Maybe im still sour over the Wamsley firing to fully appreciate what Groulx has done though. Really didnt think we shoulda let him go haha

OgieO

May 17, 2006
Halifax
Montreal let him go and Price explodes the next year. The flip side is the tremendous success of Anderson and Halak.

I'm looking forward to seeing how he progresses our young goalies.

Micklebot

Apr 27, 2010
Yep.

Groulx apparently is the guy who worked with Anderson when he was in Florida. Seems like he was instrumental in turning Andy's career around. He went to Montreal after and is credited with developing Halak.

Cool. I think I used to work with his sister (I know her brother was a goalie coach for the Habs but he got let go a few years back).

edit: According to his page on Wikipedia, he started his career as a video coach in Ottawa. I had no idea.

ChocolateLeclaire

Jan 12, 2010
Ottawa, Canada
Montreal let him go and Price explodes the next year. The flip side is the tremendous success of Anderson and Halak.

I'm looking forward to seeing how he progresses our young goalies.

Price exploded because he stopped smoking cigarettes and eating Mcdonalds when he almost lost his job to Halak.

His issue was his commitment to conditioning.

Langdon Alger

Apr 19, 2006
I wish Crawford was working with the forwards and we had hired Brad Shaw to work with the D. Maybe we can hire Stumpy Thomas to work with the forwards.

stempniaksen

Oct 12, 2008
I wish Crawford was working with the forwards and we had hired Brad Shaw to work with the D. Maybe we can hire Stumpy Thomas to work with the forwards.

Isn't Boucher going to be handling the forwards?

Brad Shaw would be a dream hire for that last bench spot, but there's no way he'd come in here with 2/3 guys ahead of him on the pecking order.

Langdon Alger

Apr 19, 2006
Isn't Boucher going to be handling the forwards?

Brad Shaw would be a dream hire for that last bench spot, but there's no way he'd come in here with 2/3 guys ahead of him on the pecking order.

Usually there are 3 coaches behind the bench, one assistant works with the defence and the other assistant with the forwards, but it's unclear as to whether we are going to hire another assistant. Cookson is going to be up top as the eye in the sky, so there is room for one more guy, but they may decide to just have Boucher and Crawford on the bench.

stempniaksen

Oct 12, 2008
Usually there are 3 coaches behind the bench, one assistant works with the defence and the other assistant with the forwards, but it's unclear as to whether we are going to hire another assistant. Cookson is going to be up top as the eye in the sky, so there is room for one more guy, but they may decide to just have Boucher and Crawfird in the bench.

Unless I'm misremembering I'm pretty sure Boucher was quoted as saying they'd have 3 on the bench + 1 eye in the sky, so I would expect one more announcement at some point this summer.

I also seem to remember Boucher saying he'd be very involved with the forwards. Not that that means they won't bring in another guy to deal with the forwards as well, just that it would be Boucher's main focus.

Langdon Alger

Apr 19, 2006
Unless I'm misremembering I'm pretty sure Boucher was quoted as saying they'd have 3 on the bench + 1 eye in the sky, so I would expect one more announcement at some point this summer.

I also seem to remember Boucher saying he'd be very involved with the forwards. Not that that means they won't bring in another guy to deal with the forwards as well, just that it would be Boucher's main focus.

I just wish we knew for sure if they are looking for another coach or if they're done. I guess I'm just impatient and starved for Sens news :(

Ouroboros

There is no armour against Fate
Feb 3, 2008
I don't get the impression that they're planning to hire anybody else on the coaching side.

Wish they'd hire some developmental/skill coaches to work with the guys in the AHL/ECHL.

BonkTastic

ಠ_ಠ
Nov 9, 2010
Parts Unknown
Sounds like we hired a video coach today: Kristopher Young.

According to the same article, we also moved someone into "analytical and statistical research & development".

The Senators also announced today that Tim Pattyson has been assigned to another position within the team’s hockey operations department which will see him oversee analytical and statistical research and development in addition to the evaluation of potential trades or free agent signings.

Micklebot

Apr 27, 2010
Sounds like we hired a video coach today: Kristopher Young.

According to the same article, we also moved someone into "analytical and statistical research & development".

According to the article, Young has a background in analytics too. Perhaps he'll be involved in that as well.

Pattyson (the someone who was moved into Analytics, and stats R&D) was our video coach, so I guess this is a bit of a promotion for him?

Ad

Upcoming events

• Sydney Swans @ Hawthorn Hawks
    Sydney Swans @ Hawthorn Hawks
    Wagers: 6
    Staked: $6,201.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Inter Milan vs Torino
    Inter Milan vs Torino
    Wagers: 3
    Staked: $1,447.00