Confirmed with Link: Sens hire Cookson as assistant coach and Groulx as goalie coach

18Hossa

And Grace, Too
Oct 12, 2012
Although it does say Pattyson will oversee the analytical and statistical r&d so then there will be other people?

stempniaksen

Oct 12, 2008
We have a full time analytics person? :scared: :scared: :scared:

That's kind of cool :handclap:

Doesn't sound like he's going to be the 3rd guy on the bech, so maybe we do plan on rolling with Boucher and Crawford as the only two guys, similar to a Torts/Sullivan setup.

Langdon Alger

Apr 19, 2006
That's kind of cool :handclap:

Doesn't sound like he's going to be the 3rd guy on the bech, so maybe we do plan on rolling with Boucher and Crawford as the only two guys, similar to a Torts/Sullivan setup.

Yeah, I wish we knew one way or another if there was another coach coming.

FlyingJ

Feb 25, 2014
So speaking of analytics, Young, and Pattyson: Dorion did a TSN1200 interview to lead up to the draft and had this to say (the Silver Seven blog transcribed it):

On how the analytics department will work:

"New assistant coach Rob Cookson is going to be in charge of it. Then he's going to ask Tim (Pattyson) for information and we're going to ask Tim for information. They're just setting a certain kind of database and parameters for us to use. There's a lot of hockey analytics. Some are useless and I think some are useful. It's us using the ones that are useful to our advantage."

Man, Boro is sure gonna have a lot of faces to punch. Pattyson, Cookson, Crawford has spoken favourably of analytics, and also Dorion for really kicking this all off. After all:

“I’m not on social media, I don’t go on social media. For me making those remarks – my friends are on social media, my wife is, my parents are, so that’s kind of where it comes from. You go ask the guys in that locker room what they think about analytics – you’ll probably either get punched in the face or they’ll laugh you out of there. There’s not too many guys who take it seriously.†- Mark Borowiecki

:laugh:

Boud

Dec 27, 2011
Yeah, I wish we knew one way or another if there was another coach coming.

http://www.lapresse.ca/le-droit/spo...php?utm_medium=twitter&utm_source=twitterfeed

It's in French so here's a resume:

- First part is Dorion talking about the importance of analytics nowadays. That was from the interview yesterday I believe so basically the same stuff.

- Boucher says he will use advanced stats to his advantage and when it's beneficial to use them. For example, not constantly getting on a player if he doesn't have good possession numbers.

- Cookson says he used advanced stats in Swiss league to count chances for/chances against for individual players, zone entries for defensemen, he says he had an experience in the Swiss league where they were giving a defensemen a lot of minutes but after looking at things carefully he had a tough time with possession/getting the puck out of the zone compared to other dman on the team. (So I assume they reduced his playing time)

IMPORTANT PART

- Boucher says he's looking to add another assistant after the hire of Pierre Groulx.
Says he isn't looking for a former player, but somebody that will fit in well with the group currently in place. Looking for another guy that would do more ground work. Marc Crawford will take care of the D.

- Boucher met with the leaders of the team already, plans on meeting everybody for 2-3 hours and will meet Bobby Ryan towards the end of summer because he's in Idaho. Says Chris Schwarz went in Idaho last week to see Ryan and how he was doing in his training, he's apparently on the right track, they wanted to make sure he was.

Last edited:

DuckedUpOnQuack

Aug 2, 2005
Ottawa
It sounds like the Sens are taking a much more methodical and professional approach to coaching. At least on the surface it sounds like they're making the investment to improve the on-ice product.

Uncle Euge probably realized its more expensive to hire/fire coaches every 2 years than it is to bring in quality player development staff.

Jan 19, 2006
Calgary
http://www.lapresse.ca/le-droit/spo...php?utm_medium=twitter&utm_source=twitterfeed

It's in French so here's a resume:

- First part is Dorion talking about the importance of analytics nowadays. That was from the interview yesterday I believe so basically the same stuff.

- Boucher says he will use advanced stats to his advantage and when it's beneficial to use them. For example, not constantly getting on a player if he doesn't have good possession numbers.

- Cookson says he used advanced stats in Swiss league to count chances for/chances against for individual players, zone entries for defensemen, he says he had an experience in the Swiss league where they were giving a defensemen a lot of minutes but after looking at things carefully he had a tough time with possession/getting the puck out of the zone compared to other dman on the team. (So I assume they reduced his playing time)

IMPORTANT PART

- Boucher says he's looking to add another assistant after the hire of Pierre Groulx.
Says he isn't looking for a former player, but somebody that will fit in well with the group currently in place. Looking for another guy that would do more ground work. Marc Crawford will take care of the D.

- Boucher met with the leaders of the team already, plans on meeting everybody for 2-3 hours and will meet Bobby Ryan towards the end of summer because he's in Idaho. Says Chris Schwarz went in Idaho last week to see Ryan and how he was doing in his training, he's apparently on the right track, they wanted to make sure he was.

RIP Boro.

Boud

Dec 27, 2011
RIP Boro.

No kidding.

With the comments Dorion made yesterday, saying that he really likes our top 4 and that he also likes the way Wideman has progressed this year. The way he has played for team USA this past month.

With all the focus on analytics and Dorion's comments, I wouldn't be surprised if they are looking for an upgrade over Boro. He's getting hemmed in his own zone. I still laugh about Cameron speaking up to his work ethic. Work ethic is excellent, when you can do your job on the ice. When you can't it doesn't matter. I think our new coaching staff understands that.

BonkTastic

ಠ_ಠ
Nov 9, 2010
Parts Unknown
No kidding.

With the comments Dorion made yesterday, saying that he really likes our top 4 and that he also likes the way Wideman has progressed this year. The way he has played for team USA this past month.

With all the focus on analytics and Dorion's comments, I wouldn't be surprised if they are looking for an upgrade over Boro. He's getting hemmed in his own zone. I still laugh about Cameron speaking up to his work ethic. Work ethic is excellent, when you can do your job on the ice. When you can't it doesn't matter. I think our new coaching staff understands that.

We should just make Boro our assistant coach in charge of work ethic.

FlyingJ

Feb 25, 2014
No kidding.

Not just Dorion either. Listening to Boucher's comments about how he wasn't going to try and change Karlsson, but instead play to his and the team's strengths? A far cry from Cameron, and even Boro's comments during the season about coaches needing to rein in guys like Karlsson and hold him accountable. Hilarious given that Boro gave opposing teams plenty of scoring chances and still got placed on a pedestal by Cameron.

I agree, work ethic is great. But if you can't keep up with the game and make smart decisions on the ice, then all the "try hard" in the world is all for nothing.

Boud

Dec 27, 2011
Not just Dorion either. Listening to Boucher's comments about how he wasn't going to try and change Karlsson, but instead play to his and the team's strengths? A far cry from Cameron, and even Boro's comments during the season about coaches needing to rein in guys like Karlsson and hold him accountable. Hilarious given that Boro gave opposing teams plenty of scoring chances and still got placed on a pedestal by Cameron.

I agree, work ethic is great. But if you can't keep up with the game and make smart decisions on the ice, then all the "try hard" in the world is all for nothing.

Honestly, I don't think anyone would mind Borowiecki that much if he kept his mouth shut.

It feels like he thinks that he's much better than what he actually is. The comments about people in the room not caring for analytics, the comments about needing to rein Karlsson and just generally disregarding the statistical evidence that he can't get the puck out of the Dzone is laughable.

I'd like to think that if I was a player like Borowiecki playing in the NHL and I would see my performance night in and night out, I would listen to what those stats say and try to improve in those areas rather than brushing it off. I mean if he thinks these things don't mean anything, I'm guessing he won't work hard to get better at them? It's worrying that he made it this far, yet doesn't have the intelligence to see how the league is evolving and how he needs to get better to stay in the league. He has the ability to be a good 3rd pairing defensemen if he focused on his weaknesses rather than downplaying them.

I'm not sure how he got this attitude, clearly he is a 3rd pairing defensemen and nothing more. Making comments on the best defensemen in the NHL shouldn't even make it to his brain.

Agent Zub

Jan 2, 2015
Honestly, I don't think anyone would mind Borowiecki that much if he kept his mouth shut.

It feels like he thinks that he's much better than what he actually is. The comments about people in the room not caring for analytics, the comments about needing to rein Karlsson and just generally disregarding the statistical evidence that he can't get the puck out of the Dzone is laughable.

I'd like to think that if I was a player like Borowiecki playing in the NHL and I would see my performance night in and night out, I would listen to what those stats say and try to improve in those areas rather than brushing it off. I mean if he thinks these things don't mean anything, I'm guessing he won't work hard to get better at them? It's worrying that he made it this far, yet doesn't have the intelligence to see how the league is evolving and how he needs to get better to stay in the league. He has the ability to be a good 3rd pairing defensemen if he focused on his weaknesses rather than downplaying them.

I'm not sure how he got this attitude, clearly he is a 3rd pairing defensemen and nothing more. Making comments on the best defensemen in the NHL shouldn't even make it to his brain.

It's Murray and Cameron who did this.

I mean Murray gave him a one way contract after a dozen NHL games. Cameron slapped an A on his chest, and it went all to Boro's head.

Boro is everything wrong with the mentality of the Ottawa Senators and why we've been mediocre for so long. Thank god that seems to be changing.

FlyingJ

Feb 25, 2014

You'd think, but I dunno. When the previous coach and GM regularly talked about how much they loved him, held him up as an example to follow and (from the outside at least) seemed to disregard things like analytics while talking up "grit," "intingibles," etc., and according to Boro regularly told him he was doing a good job, well, if I were in that position I'd probably think I was better than I actually am too.

But yeah, if Boro kept his mouth shut more often, he probably would get criticized a bit less. Too bad the likes of Don Brennan love him and regularly go to him for quotes.

FlyingJ

Feb 25, 2014
It's Murray and Cameron who did this.

I mean Murray gave him a one way contract after a dozen NHL games. Cameron slapped an A on his chest, and it went all to Boro's head.

Boro is everything wrong with the mentality of the Ottawa Senators and why we've been mediocre for so long. Thank god that seems to be changing.

Lol, beat me to it. And far more succinctly put.

I remember scratching my head when that 3 year extension was signed. Not only did Boro have so little NHL experience (and IIRC his underlying numbers there were pretty bad), but they already had him signed for the season and on a one-way deal for that year too. Before the season even started they extended him and about doubled his salary. People complain about things be handed to professional athletes, well here's a great example.

Agent Zub

Jan 2, 2015
Lol, beat me to it. And far more succinctly put.

I remember scratching my head when that 3 year extension was signed. Not only did Boro have so little NHL experience (and IIRC his underlying numbers there were pretty bad), but they already had him signed for the season and on a one-way deal for that year too. Before the season even started they extended him and about doubled his salary. People complain about things be handed to professional athletes, well here's a great example.

Same, it absolutely blew my mind. More so because we wouldn't give DaCosta a contract when we were desperately starved for skill.

Murray has been a horrible GM for years, his only saving grace was the draft, which im pretty sure was mostly Dorions doing anyways.

Micklebot

Apr 27, 2010

Ok, so here's where imo the disconnect is. Players shouldn't, under any circumstance, be expected to look at the numbers and identify what they mean, and how they can improve based on them. that's a coaches job to identify what a player needs to improve and communicate it to him.

I'd much rather a player brush off the stats and just listen to what the coach tells him to do. The coach can look at the fancy stats, and use them as a tool to identify what is and what isn't working, then translate that into the processes that the player need to execute.

The idea that Boro isn't willing to work on his deficiencies is also kind of odd to me. The one thing this guy has in spades is work ethic; I highly doubt if the coach tells him to work on something, he wouldn't put everything he has into it.

Also, his comments about Karlsson have been taken so out of context they aren't even in the same area code anymore.

Last edited:

Boud

Dec 27, 2011
Ok, so here's where imo the disconnect is. Players shouldn't, under any circumstance, be expected to look at the numbers and identify what they mean, and how they can improve based on them. that's a coaches job to identify what a player needs to improve and communicate it to him.

I'd much rather a coach brush off the stats and just listen to what the coach tells him to do. The coach can look at the fancy stats, and use them as a tool to identify what is and what isn't working, then translate that into the processes that the player need to execute.

The idea that Boro isn't willing to work on his deficiencies is also kind of odd to me. The one thing this guy has in spades is work ethic; I highly doubt if the coach tells him to work on something, he wouldn't put everything he has into it.

Also, his comments about Karlsson have been taken so out of context they aren't even in the same area code anymore.

That's basically what I meant in other words, so yea, I agree... the key thing is that he gets that this information is important, which he obviously doesn't think. Whether the information is given to him by a coach, his sister, or his grandmother doesn't matter. This is the evolution of the sport he plays in, it's obviously extremely important. You don't need to be a genius to understand that. Brushing it off is stupid any way you shape it.

And, besides, I do think that as a player, not a fan, a player that actually plays the game, you need to find ways to evolve. There isn't such a thing as not willing to work on his deficiencies, but there is such a thing as not recognizing those deficiencies until the coach tells you. Any athlete knows in what area they need to get better, advanced stats are a key metric of certain areas where Boro was just not good at all. Brushing it off is pure stupidity, it has nothing to do with the coach not telling him.

And the Karlsson comments... Please ... There isn't even a context where you would say that about a player that is about a million times better than you and the only reason why you actually have a chance to win games. Keep him on reins, what the hell does that mean? He's the best defensemen in the league FFS.

The good thing is that it looks like we have coaches who value other things than work ethic, and Boro will likely sit most of the season unless there's injuries, and he will most likely need to start putting his work ethic to good use by working on important things.

Last edited:

topshelf15

May 5, 2009
Same, it absolutely blew my mind. More so because we wouldn't give DaCosta a contract when we were desperately starved for skill.

Murray has been a horrible GM for years, his only saving grace was the draft, which im pretty sure was mostly Dorions doing anyways.
Because BM wouldnt give a tweener that had proven nothing in the nhl a one way deal ,makes him a horrible gm now .....Good to know:shakehead

FlyingJ

Feb 25, 2014
And the Karlsson comments... Please ... There isn't even a context where you would say that about a player that is about a million times better than you and the only reason why you actually have a chance to win games. Keep him on reins, what the hell does that mean? He's the best defensemen in the league FFS.

Well, the idea of reining in a star and getting him to buy-in to the system, even if it costs him higher point totals, is understandable. Hell, a lot of people like hearing that stuff. And it can benefit a team. Yes, stars need to be held accountable.

The issue here is who the comment came from: Borowiecki. A guy who got handed a 3 year extension not only before he'd even played a full season in the NHL, but when he had just 21 games spread across 3 seasons to his name. A guy whose underlying numbers are pretty awful, but the coach constantly heaped praise on solely for the fact he tried hard, and then even put a letter on this guy's jersey. A guy who said coach put at forward, including a shift or two with Turris and Ryan, rather than have him sit in the press box for one game. A guy who gets more praise heaped on him by the local media because they like that he hits and tries hard, regardless of what he actually accomplishes with those things. For him to be commenting about other players needing to be reined in and held accountable with a straight face is laughable.

Seeing how this new coaching staff utilizes Borowiecki, especially given how they seem to be more willing to embrace analytics, is going to be a little interesting.

Sensinitis

Aug 5, 2012
If Boro and Neil are gonzo our team would be so pretty. No more plugs. (with respect to Neil's career)

Boud

Dec 27, 2011
Well, the idea of reining in a star and getting him to buy-in to the system, even if it costs him higher point totals, is understandable. Hell, a lot of people like hearing that stuff. And it can benefit a team. Yes, stars need to be held accountable

The issue here is who the comment came from: Borowiecki. A guy who got handed a 3 year extension not only before he'd even played a full seaosn in the NHL, but when he had just 21 games spread across 3 seasons to his name. A guy whose underlying numbers are pretty awful, but the coach constantly heaped praise on solely for the fact he tried hard, and then even put a letter on this guy's jersey. A guy who said coach put at forward, including a shift or two with Turris and Ryan, rather than have him sit in the press box for one game. A guy who gets more praise heaped on him by the local media because they like that he hits and tries hard, regardless of what he actually accomplishes with those things. For him to be commenting about other players needing to be reined in and held accountable with a straight face is laughable.

Seeing how this new coaching staff utilizes Borowiecki, especially given how they seem to be more willing to embrace analytics, is going to be a little interesting.

I totally agree with that.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad